Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....  (Read 5843 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2019, 11:09:33 »

Say what you will about the French, but give them their dues. They're a fiercely proud nation, and justifiably so having produced much of cultural significance and influence through the ages. (We could learn a lot from them about pride in heritage :-X)

I dare say there are those here born after before York Minster suffered that terrible fire. Since beautifully restored. 

It is a testament of spiritual resilience the we can be suffer such devastating events and recover from them. Notre Dame will stand proud amidst Paris, France and the World once more. Of that I am certain.

I doubt the big pylon shaped thingy would burn as well..... ::)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2019, 11:14:40 »

How comes when a historical building is renovation, they seem to catch fire.  Windsor castle, buck house, Ely cathedral, to name but a few.

Someone having sneaky fag in a dusty attic somewhere?  :-\
I knew I'd get the blame  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2019, 11:22:45 »

That public smoking ban has a lot to answer for ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2019, 12:04:13 »

My wife is French and she is upset by the fire.  We have visited it several times over the years and it was a most impressive building, no doubt it will be restored in due course.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2019, 13:08:06 »

Amazing how millions ( billions?) have been pledged and yet the RC church is apparently awash with money. Meanwhile lots of French people live below the poverty line. Just saying. Not looking for an argument as it is the right thing to do to restore it.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2019, 13:08:33 »

How comes when a historical building is renovation, they seem to catch fire.  Windsor castle, buck house, Ely cathedral, to name but a few.

Are you going to put an estimate in for the rebuild? It doesn't really matter what figure you put, perhaps €1000. Once you get going, you can ask for as much as you want, a bit like HS2 really.  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2019, 13:15:16 »

Are you going to put an estimate in for the rebuild? It doesn't really matter what figure you put, perhaps €1000. Once you get going, you can ask for as much as you want, a bit like HS2 really.  ;D
Na ,
it'd put too many miles on my Omega
plus, I need to stay away (in case i'm recognized)  :-X

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2019, 13:15:20 »

Are places like this likely to be insured? If so, get ready for the Names at Lloyds of London to start squealing very loudly.

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2019, 13:19:10 »

Na ,
it'd put too many miles on my Omega
plus, I need to stay away (in case i'm recognized)  :-X
Paddy and Mick put an estimate in for the Euro Tunnel. They said Paddy would start digging from England and Mick from France and they would meet in the middle. When asked what would happen if they missed each other, Paddy said "Well, you'll get two tunnels for the price of one".

I know, but the old ones are the best  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2019, 17:42:16 »

Amazing how millions ( billions?) have been pledged and yet the RC church is apparently awash with money. Meanwhile lots of French people live below the poverty line. Just saying. Not looking for an argument as it is the right thing to do to restore it.

Yes, that thought Varche has crossed my mind many times over the last few hours. But, this is a very significant historic monument that means a great deal to the French, their culture, and indeed a large proportion of Europe.  If, heaven forbid, Canterbury Cathedral was wrecked by fire the immediate reaction would be extreme distress, much sorry, then the cry "we must rebuild"!  This is what the French are suffering now.

Regardless of religious context, many, including I, recognise the historical worth of these buildings and their reflection of our great past that is so precious. The poor, I fear will always be with us as Jesus stated, and unless we are all prepared to give up our wealth, life goes on as before and what is precious to our Nations must be upheld, and in this case, rebuilt. ;)

After saying all that, it is still in my mind that those "billions" of Euros could go a long way to relieve the suffering of many. Can we do both? ??? ??? ;)

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2019, 17:43:59 »

Yes, that thought Varche has crossed my mind many times over the last few hours. But, this is a very significant historic monument that means a great deal to the French, their culture, and indeed a large proportion of Europe.  If, heaven forbid, Canterbury Cathedral was wrecked by fire the immediate reaction would be extreme distress, much sorry, then the cry "we must rebuild"!  This is what the French are suffering now.

Regardless of religious context, many, including I, recognise the historical worth of these buildings and their reflection of our great past that is so precious. The poor, I fear will always be with us as Jesus stated, and unless we are all prepared to give up our wealth, life goes on as before and what is precious to our Nations must be upheld, and in this case, rebuilt. ;)

After saying all that, it is still in my mind that those "billions" of Euros could go a long way to relieve the suffering of many. Can we do both? ??? ??? ;)
Nah...they're just old....and irrelevant.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2019, 17:47:54 »

Very good! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

The thing with these buildings they usually last longer than the rest of us ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2019, 18:33:17 »

In the great scheme of things we are all pretty irrelevant.

When we die the world will carry on exactly as before and 99.9999999999% of the people on this planet really won't care.

When you drop off the perch wife and whippet will be upset but within half an hour or so they will have moved on. :y

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2019, 18:41:37 »

The whole human race is due for extinction. If we don't nuke each other, or kill the planet we live on, the we will become a race of coffee coloured, sexless hybrids........and I wouldn't fancy shagging breeding with one of them.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2019, 18:52:48 »

Certainly a piece of history... Presumably they'll rebuild it in due course :-\

Rebuild it again. Notre Dame is very like Windsor castle; it was heavily tarted up in the 19th century to make it conform better to how the people of the time thought it should look. There was a lot of that going on, if you look at the exterior of Rochester Cathedral you can see where the Victorians rebuilt the roof considerably lower and installed a steeple that it hadn't had previously. They did some pretty shoddy work on the end wall too, although the repairs have been put off for some time, they're likely to cost over £250k
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.