Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega losing power  (Read 8322 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Omega losing power
« Reply #30 on: 11 August 2015, 22:12:14 »

Kate...just goes to show what robbing..rip off merchants they are...your daughter did well to walk away from them,,and why anyone would go to a place like that I will never understand. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2015, 07:37:56 »

Interesting probem, Kate. It might help to trace the coolant leak. No drips from hoses, heater bypass valve, beneath water pump? Might be head gasket. I confirmed my HG failure by topping up header tank, running engine at idle until low coolant light came on; took an hour. No puddles under car, no sign of leaks, so I concluded HG failure.

Don't see how fuel filter would do it. Dying fuel pump might. Could be the mesh filter on pump intake partially clogged. No smell of fuel, is there? I have had corrosion around fuel pump outlet pipe create leaks.

In the olden days I have known faults like yours caused by icing in the air intake on misty days. Pipe get narrower, flow is restricted, engine finally stops. Driver gets out, scratches head, has cigarette, meanwhile engine heat melts ice. Driver starts engine, all is well again.

Other old problem was blocked fuel tank air intake. No air gets in, as fuel is pumped out pressure in tank lowers, eventually reducing fuel flow so engine loses power. Driver removes filler cap, relieving vacuum, engine then runs fine again. Easily checked, run it without filler cap.

Don't live on a farm, do you? Mice nesting in the air filter could do it.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2015, 11:33:58 »

Hi, Ms. Kate.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling so chipper these days. :-\

With regard to the fuel filter, my local garage changed the oil and filter along with the the fuel filter for £20.

I supplied all the parts. :y :-* :-* :-*

Thanks Doc. :y

Your local garage must be good. They'd probably charge £500 for that here in Basingstoke. ;D

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Flash a bit of leg, Ms. Kate.....or anything else. :-* :-* :-*

This will give you a 90% discount. :y

Blue

• Bournemouth
    • Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2015, 14:42:35 »

Hi kate, not a mechanic, but are your  symtoms that the car surges and loss of power intermittent if so I have the same with my car and I possibly could save you spending time and money from replacing plugs, leads, filters ect, let me know.
Hi Kate, first had car analyzed, came up airflow meter, fitted new, no change, had a second analyzer nothing showing.  Went to Vauxhall main dealer on analyzer nothing came up, they said new plugs, new leads did that no change wasters. Was recommended to a Vauxhall garage (not main dealer) the only one that took car out connected to an analyzer it came showing one of the EGR valves was week replaced, cleaned idle valve no different. Suspect possible ECU or wiring fault, the saga goes on!!!  >:(  One good thing out of it all new parts that didn't work were replaced with old again. Is there anyone that can help with this problem, now looking to a garage to test ECU, no one local!!
« Last Edit: 12 August 2015, 14:45:50 by Blue »

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 August 2015, 18:40:22 »

It's frustrating when there are lots of possibilities. >:(

I got some k-seal and that seems to have stopped the coolant leak. I know it's not the best solution but it was the only thing I could afford. :-\

It didn't fix the power loss problem though obviously.

There has been a strong smell of petrol a couple of times I have noticed when starting her up.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 August 2015, 20:24:17 »

I got some k-seal and that seems to have stopped the coolant leak. I know it's not the best solution but it was the only thing I could afford. :-\

It didn't fix the power loss problem though obviously.

There has been a strong smell of petrol a couple of times I have noticed when starting her up.
It's worth tracing that fuel leak now! You smell it on start up becuse you are stationary, but it's leaking all the time. When next you start up, get out of the car and locate the smell, by nose. It's probably at the driver's side rear of the car. If so, stop the engine, open the boot, peel back the carpet and find the plate in the floor above the fuel pump. Remove the plate. Start engine, look in boot at fuel pipes above pump, note the fine spray of petrol from the outlet pipe. Rectify.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 August 2015, 21:04:54 »

I'd take up Guffer's offer Kate, whilst he probably won't have time to fix it, he should be able to rule out a few things :y
Grumpy old man

ted_one

« Reply #37 on: 12 August 2015, 21:29:00 »

Agree with TB,you do need a baseline to work from,otherwise it's going to be the trying to hit a barn door with a shotgun effect which may well cause you to spend money on non essential parts......if it were me I would bite his hand off :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 August 2015, 21:56:07 »

Yes I already messaged him, I'm going on Sunday. :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 August 2015, 09:40:04 »

Didnt we talk about this last time? >:( ::) :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 August 2015, 14:46:35 »

Btw, my daughter took her car to Kwik Fit in Warwick (I told her not to go there) to get her rear brakes sorted........

They quoted her £650. :o :o :o :o :o :o

If its a french car that could be justified.

Never.......work .....on...buy or have ANYTHING to do with.....a............french..........car

Ever.

Fixed that for you.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 August 2015, 16:00:28 »

Just done service on Wifes 1998 clit Alize which she has had for past 11 years and hasnt given a spot of trouble ....well the ECU did give up 4 years ago but thats about it.

Maybe we have been lucky but it has been damn reliable and has 130k on it now..bit tatty as got keyed when daughter used to use it and park in some less than pleasant places locally but fingers crossed it lasts a while longer.

Worth sod all but almost nothing to run either  :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 August 2015, 19:02:33 »

Didnt we talk about this last time? >:( ::) :)

;D

That stuff is lethal  :-X
Omegatitis

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 August 2015, 08:19:55 »

Hi Kate,
I've just investigated what I thought was a petrol leak on my wife's 1.4l Corsa and it turned out to be one of the breather pipes completely split open down its full length allowing fumes to be drawn in by the heater fan. Smelled just like a serious petrol leak but nowhere like as difficult to fix.
Not sure whether Omega can produce same effect but it's worth checking first.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16 August 2015, 17:23:41 »

A big thanks to Monsieur Guffer for having a look at her today. :y

It turns out that the radiator has a leak on the top right plastic-looking bit and this might have been spraying coolant onto the battery and causing a short.

There was no sign of a petrol leak.

I'm going to look for a new radiator so any suggestions as where to get one from would be much appreciated.

Thanks again MG. :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.