Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING tyre question  (Read 10626 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
WARNING tyre question
« on: 31 January 2017, 20:46:43 »

On my second set of rear tyres in about 10k miles :-[  i dont drive like a nutter l have just found the dunlop rts dont last. I was looking at uniroyal rainsport 3. Any coments on these before i blow another £200+ on them
cheers.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING tyre question
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2017, 21:04:09 »

Had the Rainsport 2s on my E34 525i. Made it very easy to do whole laps of a wet roundabout sideways in complete confidence... if that helps...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2017, 21:41:53 »

Consdidering Avon AV7s for my summer set... and I know TB isn't a fan, but if the Goodyear F1 Asym 2 was anything to go by, then the Asym 3s should be reasonable. ;)

Guess this is related to the twitchyness :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2017, 21:46:15 »

Omega does appear heavy on tyres for some, not sure why  :-\

My car share guy has BMW 235i and does not spare the horses, often we have Sport Plus mode engaged. He is quite hard on its tyres, which are michelin pilot super sport...

He just had his 20k service, the tyres are original!

10k is shocking  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2017, 21:50:24 »

Omega does appear heavy on tyres for some, not sure why  :-\

My car share guy has BMW 235i and does not spare the horses, often we have Sport Plus mode engaged. He is quite hard on its tyres, which are michelin pilot super sport...

He just had his 20k service, the tyres are original!

10k is pretty standard for an Omega. Some do better, some don't...
Fixed for objectivity ;)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 21:52:48 »

I got 40k out of a set of budget tyres on an omega and never once lost control of it... Some of you have some pretty strange ways of destroying tyres it would seem.   :-\
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2017, 23:28:40 »

I got 40k out of a set of budget tyres on an omega and never once lost control of it... Some of you have some pretty strange ways of destroying tyres it would seem.   :-\

Glad someone else is on the same page   ;D

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2017, 23:55:34 »

I was told to put new tyres on and have the 4 wheel tracking done, so had that done when i put new tyres on, back end was well out and in.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2017, 00:16:52 »

Rumour has it you drive like Miss Daisy tho  ;)  I don't, (or rather didn't when I was 20). Which makes it all the more hard to believe that they could only last 10k... that's like pirelli-cheese p6000s on a fwd car sort of ridiculousness  ???
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2017, 00:17:44 »

Have had good tyre wear on both mine but ran with 15" on the PFL and 16" on the Desmond. Does running 17" or 18" make tyre wear more of an issue? ???

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2017, 00:23:35 »

Rainsport 3's were my go-to tyre on the 9-5's I had. Probably covered about 50k on them in total (not the same set!).

They are very good and wear better than average. Which on my mapped 9-5 was 6k for the fronts  8)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2017, 00:37:02 »

Have had good tyre wear on both mine but ran with 15" on the PFL and 16" on the Desmond. Does running 17" or 18" make tyre wear more of an issue? ???
No. Heavy braking and cornering at speed is what kills them... fronts from the outside in... rears tend to wear on the inner half, although worse if lowered or constantly loaded without self levelling. Best I managed in an Omega was 18k from Runway Enduro 916s directional tread and shit to a blanket grip. Goodyear NCTs typically lasted 10k. Autogrips would probably do 40k driven nicely... see above for 15k shoulder wear ::) Worst I ever managed was less than 1000 miles from the fronts :'(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2017, 07:17:57 »

And me. Some of the reported wear on here makes me wonder how they still have driving licenses. But my car still has the same front brake pads that were on it when I bought it 6 years ago.
The only set of tyres that lasted me less than 10,000 miles was when I was stupid enough to fit large tyres to narrow wheels. The same tyre in an appropriate size lasted 3 times as long.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 09:58:06 »

No. Heavy braking and cornering at speed is what kills them... fronts from the outside in... rears tend to wear on the inner half, although worse if lowered or constantly loaded without self levelling. Best I managed in an Omega was 18k from Runway Enduro 916s directional tread and shit to a blanket grip. Goodyear NCTs typically lasted 10k. Autogrips would probably do 40k driven nicely... see above for 15k shoulder wear ::) Worst I ever managed was less than 1000 miles from the fronts :'(

Thats assuming they don`t kill you first  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2017, 10:42:06 »

And me. Some of the reported wear on here makes me wonder how they still have driving licenses. But my car still has the same front brake pads that were on it when I bought it 6 years ago.
The only set of tyres that lasted me less than 10,000 miles was when I was stupid enough to fit large tyres to narrow wheels. The same tyre in an appropriate size lasted 3 times as long.

My VW had what looks like brand new discs and pads on the front of it when I bought it, I'd be very surprised if I change them this decade.  :)

Done nearly 5k in the VW, tyre tread depth looks identical to when I bought it.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2017, 11:13:30 »

Been considering getting 2 of these Pirelli P7 Cinturato Blue
for the front sometime soon, Although I'm also considering Rain Sport 3, Goodyear AS3, Michelin PS4.

Overall I've been happy with the Goodyear AS2 over the past few years, Maybe a little on the soft side but they don't half grip well. Probably getting under 10k miles though but as has been said seems to be the norm for Omegas, Especially if they are driven enthusiastically.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2017, 11:27:23 »

My VW had what looks like brand new discs and pads on the front of it when I bought it, I'd be very surprised if I change them this decade.  :)

Done nearly 5k in the VW, tyre tread depth looks identical to when I bought it.

10k in the Skoda since September and I'm down to 6mm front, 9mm rear (IIRC) .. so maybe 20-25k out of a set.  Would help if I didn't spend quite so much time with the front tyres spinning, I suppose!  :-[

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2017, 11:58:46 »

I have a set of Goldway G2000's on mine that cost £38 a corner nearly 2 years ago and have done about 12000 miles.  They are quiet, I havn't ended up in the ditch and when I last checked had plenty of tread left!  :y

My Beemer has a set of Autogrips on the rear which were on it when I bought it.  Despite the negative comments on here about Autogrip tyres, I have had no issues with them.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2017, 14:13:08 »

everyone has their favourite tyres and driving habits lol, I just have a budget  type on all 4 corners, never had a problem, plenty of tread for the next year ahead, and they are not a well known brand, cannot even name them lol ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2017, 17:25:19 »

You should all know by now. Only use premium brands at £100+ per corner, or you will go backwards into a telegraph pole, the car will burst into flames, and you will die.....!!!!!.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2017, 18:20:41 »

You should all know by now. Only use premium brands at £100+ per corner, or you will go backwards into a telegraph pole, the car will burst into flames, and you will die.....!!!!!.

And if you don't inflate them with genuine Vauxhall supplied air, you will personally bring about the end of the world as we know it.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2017, 18:50:35 »

And if you don't inflate them with genuine Vauxhall supplied air, you will personally bring about the end of the world as we know it.

hmm wha? Inflate?? What's that all about. You mean if I inflate them I'll get more than 6miles out of a set?  ???  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2017, 18:59:20 »

On my second set of rear tyres in about 10k miles :-[  i dont drive like a nutter l have just found the dunlop rts dont last. I was looking at uniroyal rainsport 3. Any coments on these before i blow another £200+ on them
cheers.
That's about what I got from my rear RTs, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.  That's the price for grip.

Currently trialling Michelin PS4 on the rear of both Omegas, so far grip and stability is better than RT. Wear, jury still out, but not expecting it to be any better than RT.

The TT remains the best all round tyre I've experienced on the Omega.

Of the other premiums, The Continental SC5 remain by far the worse, GY Eagle F1 Assym2 not far behind.

Uniroyal RS3 come in around the mediocre section where you find Avon ZZ3 and ZZ5, Bridgestone Potenza and so on.

Above based on my own experience around safety/grip.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2017, 19:08:06 »

My Beemer has a set of Autogrips on the rear which were on it when I bought it.  Despite the negative comments on here about Autogrip tyres, I have had no issues with them.  :y
Against my advice, a mate fitted them new on his shitty A4.  New, they are exactly as you expect a budget tyre to grip.

Every time I saw him, I asked if the inevitable had happened.  Then one day, I didn't need to ask, was the rear bumper was made of duct tape, rear wheel was a spare, and it was going to need more than t-cut.  "it just snapped out", he said, "I was only going slow"

So, beware, as the age.

I thought it would be a hoot to chuck one I had on TBE, and on the rear too ;D.  Honestly, you could not even breath on the throttle with any lock on. TC couldn't catch it, as even with the engine cylinders cut, there was still too much power when it was wet. I thought it was a bit of a laugh.

Then I lost it down the dual carriageway, fortunately only about 50mph, as the TC had been going bonkers. A car goes a long way at 50mph sideways.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2017, 19:35:01 »

cheers.

I have had a full set of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on my 2.5V6 Manual (MFL) for a couple of years now and very happy with them.  I only do 1000mls a year in the old Girl so cant comment on wear, but probably done 3k on this set and still as new and car feels well planted and sure footed in all weather. 

The Sharkskin Technology and groovy tread pattern did it for me  ;D  (plus I have tried most other tyres)

Make sure they are "Fitted the right way round" ! as there is and "Outside" and and "Inside" as below in the last pic  :y

You wont regret them  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2017, 11:03:47 »

Phoned around today, 12 different suppliers, no Goodyear AS2 97Y available at all, so I'm going to be forced to change ... :(

Has anyone tried the AS3 version ??

Rainsport 3's  or Michelin PS4's seem to be getting support here ...

:(

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
  • upper beeding. west sussex
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2017, 14:58:35 »

Replaced my AS2s which had worn badly and quickly on the inside fronts (due to bad alignment?), had it set up properly and fitted goodyear Efficientgrip all round.

Highly rated for wet weather and low noise, both of which I have found to be the case,  cant speak for wear rates yet as only done about 3k so far,  but no signs of wear as yet.

I am surprised these havent been mentioned yet as a viable alternative.

:)  :)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2017, 18:00:19 »

my last set of tyres - 24K rear, 28K front.  still had >= 2.4mm left when I changed them

Westlake SV308 97W XL 235/45 R17 Euro ratings: CCC .  directional.  i quite liked them - predictable

£60 each fitted in 2013, prices seem to have come down since then.

one had a tiny rim leak which was down to National Tired fitting them.  also had to re-balance the fronts 20K after fitting i think a national weight fell off.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2017, 19:12:57 »

Fitted a pair of RS3's to  the front of the TD Estate about a month ago, I must say they feel a lot more positive :y than the Enduro 926's that came off, still with miles if rubber left. >:(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2017, 19:27:48 »

Being a Michelin fan, I have recently got a set of Michelin PS4's on my 2.6. A very good tyre. Were quite a bit cheaper than the PS3's on my other 2.6 (by about £9 a tyre). Supplier said that being a newish tyre, the PS4 can be bought cheaper than the PS3, but when the PS3 eventually gets phased out, the price will no doubt increase.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2017, 22:30:13 »

Phoned around today, 12 different suppliers, no Goodyear AS2 97Y available at all, so I'm going to be forced to change ... :(

Has anyone tried the AS3 version ??

Rainsport 3's  or Michelin PS4's seem to be getting support here ...

I've got Goodyear Assy 3's on all four corners on mine. I'm more than happy with the grip in both wet and dry but then again I was more than happy with the Assy 2's that they replaced. There is a certain section of road on my journey home from work that has repaired Tarmac and it tramlines like an arse on that particular section of road, as did my Assy 2's. I can't recall ever having a tyre on it that didn't tramline to some degree, and I've owned it from a few months old.
The reason I stuck with them, I've had a few occasions where I've had to sling the anchors on really hard in pouring rain. The ABS never cut in to my knowledge and they stopped when I needed them to stop so that's good enough for me. If I use that stopping grip in the rain just once then they have been worth it.  :y
I've also deliberately pushed them pretty hard through corners in the wet as a test for the team and have had no dramas so far.
We speak as we find so others will have different views of the same tyre.

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 February 2017, 00:02:18 »

[/quote]
The ABS never cut in to my knowledge
[/quote]

You'd know if the ABS had cut in - you would have experienced a very hard kicking through the foot brake, as the brakes were released and reapplied sharply in quick succession until the tyres got the necessary grip under firm braking.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2017, 03:02:24 »

my budget tyres are asymmetric :) :) :)

Tristar Ecopower 4S 235/45 R17 97W XL, £53 a corner, fitted.  All season (check out those sipes!). EU rating: ECB
« Last Edit: 04 February 2017, 03:06:58 by migmog »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 February 2017, 09:18:12 »

Michelin PS4's seem to be getting support here ...
I can't yet recommend them until I have entirely been through a set - traditionally Michelin are soft at start, then become more durable as they wear, giving a feeling of good grip initially, and last for ages (at the expense of performance).

Both Omegas have had them on for approx. 1yr now.  I've been happy with performance levels, but one car has only done 6k in the last 12 months, guess TBE is around 10k.

Mrs TB is a little easier on tyres than me, but she hasn't complained of TC kicking in pulling out of junctions.  If I get 10-12k out of the Bullet's rears I'll be content, as they perform better than the likes of RTs (and leagues ahead of the GY F1 A2).

Given the performance available, I'd have to assume that life isn't their strong point.

Note, due to this and last winter being relatively mild, I can't comment on winter performance.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 February 2017, 10:47:26 »

This.

I put 4 new tyres on 8 months ago. Haven't changed a bit. Cheap budgets. Though they are quite "firm" 😂

Also I think I am about the same with you on pads.... I think they were changed 5 years ago. Still nowhere near being replaced.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2017, 11:27:01 »

my budget tyres are asymmetric :) :) :)

Tristar Ecopower 4S 235/45 R17 97W XL, £53 a corner, fitted.  All season (check out those sipes!). EU rating: ECB

I'll try your "Tristar's" then when I have worn my Rainsport 3's out  :P.  Gonna take a while at 1000mls a year  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 February 2017, 10:05:49 »

EU rating: ECB
Without even knowing which test each letter is assigned to in ECB, I can categorically state that I would not recommend that tyre to anyone, as at best wet grip is B, which is poor.

The euro labelling is pointless wank anyway, as its not in depth enough, and concentrates on fuel economy. Who gives a toss a bout fuel economy, we drive big barges, and over the lifetime of the tyre, the difference between A and G is about a gallon of petrol. Noise I can accept. But safety, ie grip levels, should be the most important thing to anyone...   ...and what does this labelling give us? A straight line stop in the wet. Crap.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 February 2017, 10:31:44 »

As a rule of thumb, the worse the efficiency rating, the better the tyre grips.

Wet performance is more of a black art...

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 February 2017, 11:20:55 »

EU rating: ECB
Without even knowing which test each letter is assigned to in ECB, I can categorically state that I would not recommend that tyre to anyone, as at best wet grip is B, which is poor.

The euro labelling is pointless wank anyway, as its not in depth enough, and concentrates on fuel economy. Who gives a toss a bout fuel economy, we drive big barges, and over the lifetime of the tyre, the difference between A and G is about a gallon of petrol. Noise I can accept. But safety, ie grip levels, should be the most important thing to anyone...   ...and what does this labelling give us? A straight line stop in the wet. Crap.

actually the calculation of the wet grip rating is quite complicated and is based on the ISO standard originally developed for bus and truck tyres ISO 15222:2011

if you're interested in the science there is plenty on the net e.g. have a read here https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2011/wp29grrf/GRRF-71-10e.pdf and here
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r117rev.2E.pdf

of course you can always rely on opinion and manufacturer advertising if you prefer ::).

here's an extract anyway

Test procedure for measuring wet grip
1. General Test Conditions
1.1. Track characteristics
The track shall have a dense asphalt surface with a gradient in any direction
not exceeding 2 per cent. It shall be of uniform age, composition, and wear
and shall be free of loose material or foreign deposits. The maximum
chipping size shall be 10 mm (tolerances permitted from 8 mm to 13 mm)
and the sand depth measured as specified in ASTM standard E 965-96 (2006)
shall be 0.7 ±0.3 mm.
The surface friction value for the wetted track shall be established by one or
other of the following methods:
1.1.1. Standard reference test tyre (SRTT) method
When tested using the SRTT and the method given in paragraph 2.1. the
average peak brake force coefficient (pbfc) shall be between 0.6 and 0.8. The
measured values shall be corrected for the effects of temperature as follows:
pbfc = pbfc (measured) + 0.0035 (t - 20)
where "t" is the wetted track surface temperature in degrees Celsius.
The test shall be conducted using the lanes and length of the track to be used
for the wet grip test;
1.1.2. British pendulum number (BPN) method
The averaged British pendulum number (BPN) of the wetted track, measured
in accordance with the procedure given in the ASTM standard E 303-93
(2008) and using the pad as specified in ASTM standard E 501-08, shall be
between 40 and 60 after temperature correction. Unless temperature
correction recommendations are indicated by the pendulum manufacturer, the
following formula can be used:
BPN = BPN (measured value) + 0.34 · t - 0.0018 · t² - 6.1
where "t" is the wetted track surface temperature in degrees Celsius.
In the lanes of the track to be used during the wet grip tests, the BPN shall be
measured at intervals of 10 m along the length of the lanes. The BPN shall be
measured 5 times at each point and the coefficient of variation of the BPN
averages shall not exceed by 10 per cent.
1.1.3. The Type Approval Authority shall satisfy itself of the characteristics of the
track on the basis of evidence produced in test reports.
1.2. Wetting conditions
The surface may be wetted from the track-side or by a wetting system
incorporated into the test vehicle or the trailer.
E/ECE/324/Rev.2/Add.116/Rev.2
E/ECE/TRANS/505/Rev.2/Add.116/Rev.2
Annex 5
If a track-side system is used, the test surface shall be wetted for at least half
an hour prior to testing in order to equalize the surface temperature and water
temperature. It is recommended that track-side wetting be continuously
applied throughout testing.
The water depth shall be between 0.5 and 1.5 mm.
1.3. The wind conditions shall not interfere with wetting of the surface (windshields
are permitted).
The wetted surface temperature shall be between 5 °C and 35 °C and shall
not vary during the test by more than 10 °C.
2. Test Procedure
The comparative wet grip performance shall be established using either:
(a) A trailer or special purpose tyre evaluation vehicle; or
(b) A standard production passenger carrying vehicle......................

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 February 2017, 12:35:04 »

As a rule of thumb, the worse the efficiency rating, the better the tyre grips.

Wet performance is more of a black art...
Indeed, and kind of eco tyre is reliant on low rolling resistance, which means being devoid of grip.

We know virtually all budget tyres, once the first couple of thousand miles are gone, have a massive difference between wet and dry performance.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 February 2017, 22:51:03 »

Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the candour .. :) I've also been reading the BMW / Merc forums as I see little point in reading tyre reviews for FWD gokarts. Using those sites, and the comments from here ...I'll be ringing around tomorrow for prices on Michelin PS4s I think... web prices seem to be around £103 a corner fully fitted for the 97 XL version - I always fit 97 XL due to the amount of tin-tent towing I do !!  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 February 2017, 16:02:13 »

Well ... wasted an hour of my life phoning all the Swindon outlets, eventually ordered from Blackboots on-line at £104 each, to be fitted at a garage less than 200 yards from me on Thursday !! Swindon prices varied from £116 to £136 .. except for one outlet ..... and takes a deep breath .....

Kwik-fit Swindon want £144.99 each ... but their own website is quoting £102.55 each for exactly the same tyre !!!  A phone call to check that I had not been miss-quoted .. nope .. that is the correct local price, but if I wish to book on-line then I'll get them at £102.55 ... when I pointed out this was a simple and total ripoff system he declined to comment .....

I knew they were useless rip-off merchants .. but to the tune of £43 a corner ??? ..... GRRRRRRR   .....    and breathe ...... 

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 February 2017, 18:51:45 »

Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the candour .. :) I've also been reading the BMW / Merc forums as I see little point in reading tyre reviews for FWD gokarts. Using those sites, and the comments from here ...I'll be ringing around tomorrow for prices on Michelin PS4s I think... web prices seem to be around £103 a corner fully fitted for the 97 XL version - I always fit 97 XL due to the amount of tin-tent towing I do !!  :)
chrisgixer and I admired the rears on the bullet, and he glibbed "you'll get more than 10k out of these".  They have done 6k already.

They are 235/45/17 standard size, fairly certain they are XL.

Whilst I accept our driving styles ae not the same, I'll be amazed if you are not content with them (durability as yet unknown), compared to the GY F1 A2s you had.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Grumpy old man

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2017, 19:46:00 »

Just got round to checking my dunlop rts and both are now less than 3mm. No wonder there are spinning up all the time. Just orderded two of the michelin ps4 s 235 40 18s cost me £264 fitted. Lets see how long these last.
 Think i will need to replace the dunlop rt2s in a couple of months  :'(

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 February 2017, 16:55:30 »

just had 2 Avon ZV7s fitted to front of car and transformed the car. I thought the wishbones had gone it was wallowing into corners now its nice and grippy.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 February 2017, 17:30:49 »

Now done 250 miles on the Michelin PS4's, handling seems to be as good as the Asy2's although I've not been chucking it about overly much..

.... proved the stopping power is excellent when a prat decided that the dashed line on the slip road to a motorway means you can join directly into the middle lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 65 mph (guess) who then swerves AND BRAKES into the outer lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 75 mph about 20 feet ( 2 car lengths ?) from overtaking him .... (me) .. all got very close and the merc behind me, also doing 75 and a tad close got EXTREMELY close to my rear end !!

Tyres seem to be quieter than the Asy2's, so depending how they wear they could be a decent buy .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14 February 2017, 18:43:46 »

I need to replace the fronts on the superior Silver Bullet, currently SportMaxx RTs.  Had hoped to have a better idea of durability of the PS4 before I had to replace the RTs, but looking like that luxury cant be accommodated.
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 February 2017, 21:31:59 »

Well ... wasted an hour of my life phoning all the Swindon outlets, eventually ordered from Blackboots on-line at £104 each, to be fitted at a garage less than 200 yards from me on Thursday !! Swindon prices varied from £116 to £136 .. except for one outlet ..... and takes a deep breath .....

Kwik-fit Swindon want £144.99 each ... but their own website is quoting £102.55 each for exactly the same tyre !!!  A phone call to check that I had not been miss-quoted .. nope .. that is the correct local price, but if I wish to book on-line then I'll get them at £102.55 ... when I pointed out this was a simple and total ripoff system he declined to comment .....

I knew they were useless rip-off merchants .. but to the tune of £43 a corner ??? ..... GRRRRRRR   .....    and breathe ...... 

I think I'd shop round a bit more - I paid £88.28 each for new PS4's fitted.......
I did take the 4 wheels to them, rather than risk some prawn jacking the car up anywhere other than where you should do; I also don't like the metal saddles of their trolley jacks without a rubber pad on the underside of my car.....so the simplest option was to take the wheels to them.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 14 February 2017, 21:48:58 »

I think I'd shop round a bit more - I paid £88.28 each for new PS4's fitted.......
I did take the 4 wheels to them, rather than risk some prawn jacking the car up anywhere other than where you should do; I also don't like the metal saddles of their trolley jacks without a rubber pad on the underside of my car.....so the simplest option was to take the wheels to them.

I was after 97 Y XL tyres due to the amount of tin tent pulling I do, methinks a morning phoning every outlet in town and 2 hours of internet searching is sufficient ...  "I think I'd shop round a bit more" ....  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 February 2017, 21:54:29 »

Now done 250 miles on the Michelin PS4's, handling seems to be as good as the Asy2's although I've not been chucking it about overly much..

.... proved the stopping power is excellent when a prat decided that the dashed line on the slip road to a motorway means you can join directly into the middle lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 65 mph (guess) who then swerves AND BRAKES into the outer lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 75 mph about 20 feet ( 2 car lengths ?) from overtaking him .... (me) .. all got very close and the merc behind me, also doing 75 and a tad close got EXTREMELY close to my rear end !!

Tyres seem to be quieter than the Asy2's, so depending how they wear they could be a decent buy .. :)

Thanks for feedback, I have GY Asy1's on the VW at the front and Michelin PS3's on the rear. While the wear of the Ays1's is ok, I think due to age perhaps as they must be old! Means I'm lacking grip when pulling away out of T junction when needed.

Might put the PS3's on the front and PS4's on the rear, but not sure, might just replace fronts with PS4's.

More like £130 corner for 18's - The PS3's being more than PS4's.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 February 2017, 22:51:15 »

I was after 97 Y XL tyres due to the amount of tin tent pulling I do, methinks a morning phoning every outlet in town and 2 hours of internet searching is sufficient ...  "I think I'd shop round a bit more" ....  :(

Just been outside to check - mine are 97 XL's. £60 total saving isn't to be sniffed at though! That was from my local Audi dealer of all places. I have been a customer of theirs for several years because of my 'other' car, and they had a sign up saying they would be competitive on tyre quotes for any car, so I gave them the tyre size load and speed rating, and that was the figure they came up with. Pretty good, I thought!

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 February 2017, 23:21:38 »

Cheapest quote I could find locally for the PS4's was £280 fitted for x2 tyres... Might have to do some searching online.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 15 February 2017, 08:15:56 »

Be interesting to know how Bathwick Tyres, Wescott Place  faired in price during your search as they seem to beat other Bathwick outlets and most other tyre places  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 15 February 2017, 08:30:55 »

Cheapest quote I could find locally for the PS4's was £280 fitted for x2 tyres... Might have to do some searching online.

Black circles wanted £260 for a pair fitted locally to me, way cheaper than WIM.  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 15 February 2017, 09:01:09 »

Black circles wanted £260 for a pair fitted locally to me, way cheaper than WIM.  :(
Did you ring them or simply look online?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 February 2017, 09:24:24 »

Did you ring them or simply look online?

Just looked online, yes I know I need to ring them. But a bit annoyed I must call to get their best price and haggle, it needs to come down fair bit.

I can fairly easily source them for £130 locally, WIM it's £165 odd.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15 February 2017, 09:35:57 »

You're not ringing to haggle ::) their database is far from perfect... still showed Runway Enduros last time I looked :D

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15 February 2017, 09:45:31 »

Are the load rating of these Uniroyal RainSport 3 225/55 R16 99Y XL correct for putting on the Omega?

Thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 15 February 2017, 09:50:00 »

Saloon doesn't require it, but recommended for the estate :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15 February 2017, 16:09:58 »

Michelin and Black Circles are part of the same group of companies  ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15 February 2017, 19:53:20 »

I thought blackcircles was Tesco.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15 February 2017, 21:22:12 »

Absolute cheapest I can find is £240 fitted for the PS4s... or Goodyear Asymmetric 3 £203..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.