Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING tyre question  (Read 10628 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING tyre question
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2017, 11:13:30 »

Been considering getting 2 of these Pirelli P7 Cinturato Blue
for the front sometime soon, Although I'm also considering Rain Sport 3, Goodyear AS3, Michelin PS4.

Overall I've been happy with the Goodyear AS2 over the past few years, Maybe a little on the soft side but they don't half grip well. Probably getting under 10k miles though but as has been said seems to be the norm for Omegas, Especially if they are driven enthusiastically.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2017, 11:27:23 »

My VW had what looks like brand new discs and pads on the front of it when I bought it, I'd be very surprised if I change them this decade.  :)

Done nearly 5k in the VW, tyre tread depth looks identical to when I bought it.

10k in the Skoda since September and I'm down to 6mm front, 9mm rear (IIRC) .. so maybe 20-25k out of a set.  Would help if I didn't spend quite so much time with the front tyres spinning, I suppose!  :-[

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2017, 11:58:46 »

I have a set of Goldway G2000's on mine that cost £38 a corner nearly 2 years ago and have done about 12000 miles.  They are quiet, I havn't ended up in the ditch and when I last checked had plenty of tread left!  :y

My Beemer has a set of Autogrips on the rear which were on it when I bought it.  Despite the negative comments on here about Autogrip tyres, I have had no issues with them.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2017, 14:13:08 »

everyone has their favourite tyres and driving habits lol, I just have a budget  type on all 4 corners, never had a problem, plenty of tread for the next year ahead, and they are not a well known brand, cannot even name them lol ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2017, 17:25:19 »

You should all know by now. Only use premium brands at £100+ per corner, or you will go backwards into a telegraph pole, the car will burst into flames, and you will die.....!!!!!.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2017, 18:20:41 »

You should all know by now. Only use premium brands at £100+ per corner, or you will go backwards into a telegraph pole, the car will burst into flames, and you will die.....!!!!!.

And if you don't inflate them with genuine Vauxhall supplied air, you will personally bring about the end of the world as we know it.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2017, 18:50:35 »

And if you don't inflate them with genuine Vauxhall supplied air, you will personally bring about the end of the world as we know it.

hmm wha? Inflate?? What's that all about. You mean if I inflate them I'll get more than 6miles out of a set?  ???  ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2017, 18:59:20 »

On my second set of rear tyres in about 10k miles :-[  i dont drive like a nutter l have just found the dunlop rts dont last. I was looking at uniroyal rainsport 3. Any coments on these before i blow another £200+ on them
cheers.
That's about what I got from my rear RTs, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.  That's the price for grip.

Currently trialling Michelin PS4 on the rear of both Omegas, so far grip and stability is better than RT. Wear, jury still out, but not expecting it to be any better than RT.

The TT remains the best all round tyre I've experienced on the Omega.

Of the other premiums, The Continental SC5 remain by far the worse, GY Eagle F1 Assym2 not far behind.

Uniroyal RS3 come in around the mediocre section where you find Avon ZZ3 and ZZ5, Bridgestone Potenza and so on.

Above based on my own experience around safety/grip.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2017, 19:08:06 »

My Beemer has a set of Autogrips on the rear which were on it when I bought it.  Despite the negative comments on here about Autogrip tyres, I have had no issues with them.  :y
Against my advice, a mate fitted them new on his shitty A4.  New, they are exactly as you expect a budget tyre to grip.

Every time I saw him, I asked if the inevitable had happened.  Then one day, I didn't need to ask, was the rear bumper was made of duct tape, rear wheel was a spare, and it was going to need more than t-cut.  "it just snapped out", he said, "I was only going slow"

So, beware, as the age.

I thought it would be a hoot to chuck one I had on TBE, and on the rear too ;D.  Honestly, you could not even breath on the throttle with any lock on. TC couldn't catch it, as even with the engine cylinders cut, there was still too much power when it was wet. I thought it was a bit of a laugh.

Then I lost it down the dual carriageway, fortunately only about 50mph, as the TC had been going bonkers. A car goes a long way at 50mph sideways.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2017, 19:35:01 »

On my second set of rear tyres in about 10k miles :-[  i dont drive like a nutter l have just found the dunlop rts dont last. I was looking at uniroyal rainsport 3. Any coments on these before i blow another £200+ on them
cheers.

I have had a full set of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on my 2.5V6 Manual (MFL) for a couple of years now and very happy with them.  I only do 1000mls a year in the old Girl so cant comment on wear, but probably done 3k on this set and still as new and car feels well planted and sure footed in all weather. 

The Sharkskin Technology and groovy tread pattern did it for me  ;D  (plus I have tried most other tyres)

Make sure they are "Fitted the right way round" ! as there is and "Outside" and and "Inside" as below in the last pic  :y

You wont regret them  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2017, 11:03:47 »

Phoned around today, 12 different suppliers, no Goodyear AS2 97Y available at all, so I'm going to be forced to change ... :(

Has anyone tried the AS3 version ??

Rainsport 3's  or Michelin PS4's seem to be getting support here ...

:(

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
  • upper beeding. west sussex
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2017, 14:58:35 »

Replaced my AS2s which had worn badly and quickly on the inside fronts (due to bad alignment?), had it set up properly and fitted goodyear Efficientgrip all round.

Highly rated for wet weather and low noise, both of which I have found to be the case,  cant speak for wear rates yet as only done about 3k so far,  but no signs of wear as yet.

I am surprised these havent been mentioned yet as a viable alternative.

:)  :)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2017, 18:00:19 »

my last set of tyres - 24K rear, 28K front.  still had >= 2.4mm left when I changed them

Westlake SV308 97W XL 235/45 R17 Euro ratings: CCC .  directional.  i quite liked them - predictable

£60 each fitted in 2013, prices seem to have come down since then.

one had a tiny rim leak which was down to National Tired fitting them.  also had to re-balance the fronts 20K after fitting i think a national weight fell off.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2017, 19:12:57 »

Fitted a pair of RS3's to  the front of the TD Estate about a month ago, I must say they feel a lot more positive :y than the Enduro 926's that came off, still with miles if rubber left. >:(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2017, 19:27:48 »

Being a Michelin fan, I have recently got a set of Michelin PS4's on my 2.6. A very good tyre. Were quite a bit cheaper than the PS3's on my other 2.6 (by about £9 a tyre). Supplier said that being a newish tyre, the PS4 can be bought cheaper than the PS3, but when the PS3 eventually gets phased out, the price will no doubt increase.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.