Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING tyre question  (Read 10631 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING tyre question
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2017, 19:46:00 »

Just got round to checking my dunlop rts and both are now less than 3mm. No wonder there are spinning up all the time. Just orderded two of the michelin ps4 s 235 40 18s cost me £264 fitted. Lets see how long these last.
 Think i will need to replace the dunlop rt2s in a couple of months  :'(

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 February 2017, 16:55:30 »

just had 2 Avon ZV7s fitted to front of car and transformed the car. I thought the wishbones had gone it was wallowing into corners now its nice and grippy.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 February 2017, 17:30:49 »

Now done 250 miles on the Michelin PS4's, handling seems to be as good as the Asy2's although I've not been chucking it about overly much..

.... proved the stopping power is excellent when a prat decided that the dashed line on the slip road to a motorway means you can join directly into the middle lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 65 mph (guess) who then swerves AND BRAKES into the outer lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 75 mph about 20 feet ( 2 car lengths ?) from overtaking him .... (me) .. all got very close and the merc behind me, also doing 75 and a tad close got EXTREMELY close to my rear end !!

Tyres seem to be quieter than the Asy2's, so depending how they wear they could be a decent buy .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14 February 2017, 18:43:46 »

I need to replace the fronts on the superior Silver Bullet, currently SportMaxx RTs.  Had hoped to have a better idea of durability of the PS4 before I had to replace the RTs, but looking like that luxury cant be accommodated.
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 February 2017, 21:31:59 »

Well ... wasted an hour of my life phoning all the Swindon outlets, eventually ordered from Blackboots on-line at £104 each, to be fitted at a garage less than 200 yards from me on Thursday !! Swindon prices varied from £116 to £136 .. except for one outlet ..... and takes a deep breath .....

Kwik-fit Swindon want £144.99 each ... but their own website is quoting £102.55 each for exactly the same tyre !!!  A phone call to check that I had not been miss-quoted .. nope .. that is the correct local price, but if I wish to book on-line then I'll get them at £102.55 ... when I pointed out this was a simple and total ripoff system he declined to comment .....

I knew they were useless rip-off merchants .. but to the tune of £43 a corner ??? ..... GRRRRRRR   .....    and breathe ...... 

:(
Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the candour .. :) I've also been reading the BMW / Merc forums as I see little point in reading tyre reviews for FWD gokarts. Using those sites, and the comments from here ...I'll be ringing around tomorrow for prices on Michelin PS4s I think... web prices seem to be around £103 a corner fully fitted for the 97 XL version - I always fit 97 XL due to the amount of tin-tent towing I do !!  :)

I think I'd shop round a bit more - I paid £88.28 each for new PS4's fitted.......
I did take the 4 wheels to them, rather than risk some prawn jacking the car up anywhere other than where you should do; I also don't like the metal saddles of their trolley jacks without a rubber pad on the underside of my car.....so the simplest option was to take the wheels to them.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 14 February 2017, 21:48:58 »

Well ... wasted an hour of my life phoning all the Swindon outlets, eventually ordered from Blackboots on-line at £104 each, to be fitted at a garage less than 200 yards from me on Thursday !! Swindon prices varied from £116 to £136 .. except for one outlet ..... and takes a deep breath .....

Kwik-fit Swindon want £144.99 each ... but their own website is quoting £102.55 each for exactly the same tyre !!!  A phone call to check that I had not been miss-quoted .. nope .. that is the correct local price, but if I wish to book on-line then I'll get them at £102.55 ... when I pointed out this was a simple and total ripoff system he declined to comment .....

I knew they were useless rip-off merchants .. but to the tune of £43 a corner ??? ..... GRRRRRRR   .....    and breathe ...... 

Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the candour .. :) I've also been reading the BMW / Merc forums as I see little point in reading tyre reviews for FWD gokarts. Using those sites, and the comments from here ...I'll be ringing around tomorrow for prices on Michelin PS4s I think... web prices seem to be around £103 a corner fully fitted for the 97 XL version - I always fit 97 XL due to the amount of tin-tent towing I do !!  :)

I think I'd shop round a bit more - I paid £88.28 each for new PS4's fitted.......
I did take the 4 wheels to them, rather than risk some prawn jacking the car up anywhere other than where you should do; I also don't like the metal saddles of their trolley jacks without a rubber pad on the underside of my car.....so the simplest option was to take the wheels to them.

I was after 97 Y XL tyres due to the amount of tin tent pulling I do, methinks a morning phoning every outlet in town and 2 hours of internet searching is sufficient ...  "I think I'd shop round a bit more" ....  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 February 2017, 21:54:29 »

Now done 250 miles on the Michelin PS4's, handling seems to be as good as the Asy2's although I've not been chucking it about overly much..

.... proved the stopping power is excellent when a prat decided that the dashed line on the slip road to a motorway means you can join directly into the middle lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 65 mph (guess) who then swerves AND BRAKES into the outer lane despite it being occupied by a vehicle doing 75 mph about 20 feet ( 2 car lengths ?) from overtaking him .... (me) .. all got very close and the merc behind me, also doing 75 and a tad close got EXTREMELY close to my rear end !!

Tyres seem to be quieter than the Asy2's, so depending how they wear they could be a decent buy .. :)

Thanks for feedback, I have GY Asy1's on the VW at the front and Michelin PS3's on the rear. While the wear of the Ays1's is ok, I think due to age perhaps as they must be old! Means I'm lacking grip when pulling away out of T junction when needed.

Might put the PS3's on the front and PS4's on the rear, but not sure, might just replace fronts with PS4's.

More like £130 corner for 18's - The PS3's being more than PS4's.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 February 2017, 22:51:15 »

I was after 97 Y XL tyres due to the amount of tin tent pulling I do, methinks a morning phoning every outlet in town and 2 hours of internet searching is sufficient ...  "I think I'd shop round a bit more" ....  :(

Just been outside to check - mine are 97 XL's. £60 total saving isn't to be sniffed at though! That was from my local Audi dealer of all places. I have been a customer of theirs for several years because of my 'other' car, and they had a sign up saying they would be competitive on tyre quotes for any car, so I gave them the tyre size load and speed rating, and that was the figure they came up with. Pretty good, I thought!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 February 2017, 23:21:38 »

Cheapest quote I could find locally for the PS4's was £280 fitted for x2 tyres... Might have to do some searching online.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 15 February 2017, 08:15:56 »

Be interesting to know how Bathwick Tyres, Wescott Place  faired in price during your search as they seem to beat other Bathwick outlets and most other tyre places  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 15 February 2017, 08:30:55 »

Cheapest quote I could find locally for the PS4's was £280 fitted for x2 tyres... Might have to do some searching online.

Black circles wanted £260 for a pair fitted locally to me, way cheaper than WIM.  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 15 February 2017, 09:01:09 »

Black circles wanted £260 for a pair fitted locally to me, way cheaper than WIM.  :(
Did you ring them or simply look online?
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 February 2017, 09:24:24 »

Did you ring them or simply look online?

Just looked online, yes I know I need to ring them. But a bit annoyed I must call to get their best price and haggle, it needs to come down fair bit.

I can fairly easily source them for £130 locally, WIM it's £165 odd.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15 February 2017, 09:35:57 »

You're not ringing to haggle ::) their database is far from perfect... still showed Runway Enduros last time I looked :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15 February 2017, 09:45:31 »

Are the load rating of these Uniroyal RainSport 3 225/55 R16 99Y XL correct for putting on the Omega?

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.