Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding sump drain plug kit to Auto trans fluid sumps  (Read 8436 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Adding sump drain plug kit to Auto trans fluid sumps
« Reply #60 on: 08 March 2017, 17:08:23 »

Fair enough. That may be enough motivation to do it! ATF in the hair is not fun!

I was thinking about welding a section of thicker steel to the sump, then drilling and tapping it and fitting a normal style sump drain plug.
It would have to go on the side, not the bottom, of the sumps, if my AR35 sumps are anything to go by.  Having lost a (engine) sump plug before at speed, due to it hanging lower than anything else, I'm quite wary now....
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 08 March 2017, 17:23:20 »

Fair enough. That may be enough motivation to do it! ATF in the hair is not fun!

I was thinking about welding a section of thicker steel to the sump, then drilling and tapping it and fitting a normal style sump drain plug.
It would have to go on the side, not the bottom, of the sumps, if my AR35 sumps are anything to go by.  Having lost a (engine) sump plug before at speed, due to it hanging lower than anything else, I'm quite wary now....
Indeed. Another reason why I haven't bothered.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 08 March 2017, 18:00:27 »

I lost my hair a way back but still don't want the stuff everywhere!

Yes, I was wondering how well the drain kit would work out - I hope to get to it soon. I also thought of the welding and tapping route but figured this would be a quicker way. I am hoping there is plenty of latitude in positioning, which may not be the case if the filter has little clearance below it.

Side or back drain position will help in draining when car is jacked up; but i don't think I see that the drain will hang down much further than the exhaust clamps. Having said that, i got into the bad habit of straddling the pillow type speed humps and it won't take much to tear...

cheers

RDS
« Last Edit: 08 March 2017, 18:03:28 by rds »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 08 March 2017, 20:11:31 »

If you can find a Senny Auto with an AR35 in a scrappy, the rear sump has a drain plug rear RH corner. :y

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 10 March 2017, 15:10:10 »

Hello again

a Senator eh? Shame that accessible scrappies are few and far between these days...

A "parts interchange list" for the Omega would be a great asset - is there one?

cheers

RDS
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.