Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Disaster  (Read 5173 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Disaster
« Reply #30 on: 29 April 2009, 20:25:21 »

God mate sorry to hear, you ain't having a lot of luck with that car are ya  :(
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 April 2009, 21:37:02 »

Ok new update. Have stripped her all down and found the reason for all the problem and I caused it myself. Teach me for rushing and working in the rain.

On removing timing belt alltogether the bottom crank turns fine. Cams 1,2 & 4 turn all ok however cam 3 was seized solid.

Removed cam cover and removed cam brackets and hey presto there was the problem. When I put the sealant on the end cam bracket I put too much sealant on and it had blocked the oil way causing the cam to seize solid between the head and the cam bracket. On removing, oiling and cleaning up a slight burr it turns purfect and you can clearly hear all valves opening and closing without issue so think I have got away with it. Looks like I need a new belt though!!

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 April 2009, 21:41:41 »

I hope you have got away with it.  when you fit the new belt, turn the engine over twice by hand to settle the belt before setting the tensioner.  In doing so you'll be able to feel compression and see that everything is turning over ok

good luck and fingers crossed
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 April 2009, 21:50:56 »

Excellent news. I'm happy to hear you got away without any major drama.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 April 2009, 21:54:55 »

I cant see how you would get away with it.

I guess teeth have been stripped from the belt?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 April 2009, 21:55:54 »

Never seen a cam seize through too much sealant on the cover  :-/

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 April 2009, 22:37:53 »

Well everything is turning ok and all as we have the cam cover off you can see the hydraulic lifters raising and lowering and looking in from the inlet port you can see the vavles working there so fingers crossed no bent valves.

It looks like the belt has stripped on the bottom and that is why its not turning anything. However we are going to put her back together and see what happens as in a way we are glad its the passenger side head as this far easier to remove as we can lift the head off with the manifold attached and there should be no seized bolts this time.

I suppose as it was just going to start and was not under any load that may be why we got away with it, but will let you all know once its back togeher.  ::)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 April 2009, 22:39:38 »

It wasnt through too much sealant on the cover it was from too much sealant on the cam bracket that holds it in place. It could also be possible that I torqued it too much which made it tighter.

Either way it was definatly seized.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 April 2009, 08:09:02 »

Sealer on the front cam bearing only....and then its a tiny wipe.

You cant over tighten them without snapping the bolts but, make sure they are fitted in the right place

I you have lost teeth then that will bend valves no matter what speed its cranked at.

So, were the other cams all still timed up correctly?

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 April 2009, 13:36:39 »

Title says it all! :'(

I would be looking for new valves, or maybe even complete heads TBH  :-X
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 April 2009, 22:08:57 »

Ok Fresh update.

Yes the timing was still all aligned on the cams and once freed everything turns perfect. The belt has not lost any teeth at all and appears ok. So the bottom must have slackened when the adjuster slipped and the top cams stayed in position.

Have now rebuild the engine (minus damaged covers  ::)) and reset the timing. Once belt in position removed timing tools and turned the engine by hand three times and everything turns purfect  :P so hopefully have got away with it.

Carried on and refitted rest of components and filled with fluids. Went to start turned key and hey presto she fired and then cut out. Turned over again and the battery was flat!!!!!..........Each turn slowed and all the lights dimmed on dash so was unable to carry out full test.

Will charge battery tomorrow and let you know how I get on  :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 May 2009, 08:32:22 »

Ok Fresh update.

Yes the timing was still all aligned on the cams and once freed everything turns perfect. The belt has not lost any teeth at all and appears ok. So the bottom must have slackened when the adjuster slipped and the top cams stayed in position.

Have now rebuild the engine (minus damaged covers  ::)) and reset the timing. Once belt in position removed timing tools and turned the engine by hand three times and everything turns purfect  :P so hopefully have got away with it.

Carried on and refitted rest of components and filled with fluids. Went to start turned key and hey presto she fired and then cut out. Turned over again and the battery was flat!!!!!..........Each turn slowed and all the lights dimmed on dash so was unable to carry out full test.

Will charge battery tomorrow and let you know how I get on  :y

pleased for you buddy, hope its all ok when you start it!! :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 May 2009, 08:42:25 »

I dont see how one cam being stuck adn a crank turning cna not result in bent valves.....lets hope for the best!  :y

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 May 2009, 20:38:00 »

Any update fella?  it's like reading a book with the last chapter missing  :(

fingers crossed as i know what it's like when working on the v6's.
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 May 2009, 09:58:56 »

Ok latest Update!!

Put her all back together and charged battery for a couple of hours.

Turned key and allowed pump to pressurise and then off. Did this a few times and then gave it a go. After a couple of times fired into life and sounded ok. Went to front of engine and oil was spraying everywhere. Turned engine off looked underneath and there is a massive pool of oil. No signs of oil on dipstick. Looked around with torch and the oil was running down the front and the rear of the engine but not down the sides. Put tools away and walked away before I put a sledge hammer to it.

Went out this morning once calmed down, and had a poke around. I could see oil in the V so decided to strip her down again (Ive got it down to just over ten minutes now  ;D). On removing plenum you could see lots of oil in the V so removed injector rail and manifold On removing these the V is full of oil (no water just oil).

Now my first question was has the covers leaked. Answer no oil from covers or down sides of heads. The only other thing I can think of is from the oil cooler!!!

Ive never had a oil cooler off before so put me right if Im wrong please but the two pipes from the oil filter are a inlet and a return pipe for the oil. The water circulates around oil cooler. So Im guessing that either the oil is escaping from one of the unions or from one of the two pipe. Im wondering if I can disable the fuel pump I can turn it over without rebuilding all the plenum and see where the leak is???????

Any ideas welcome!!!!!  >:(
« Last Edit: 02 May 2009, 10:01:31 by star_whites »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.