Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Disaster  (Read 5172 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Disaster
« Reply #45 on: 02 May 2009, 13:42:18 »

Ok latest Update!!

Put her all back together and charged battery for a couple of hours.

Turned key and allowed pump to pressurise and then off. Did this a few times and then gave it a go. After a couple of times fired into life and sounded ok. Went to front of engine and oil was spraying everywhere. Turned engine off looked underneath and there is a massive pool of oil. No signs of oil on dipstick. Looked around with torch and the oil was running down the front and the rear of the engine but not down the sides. Put tools away and walked away before I put a sledge hammer to it.

Went out this morning once calmed down, and had a poke around. I could see oil in the V so decided to strip her down again (Ive got it down to just over ten minutes now  ;D). On removing plenum you could see lots of oil in the V so removed injector rail and manifold On removing these the V is full of oil (no water just oil).

Now my first question was has the covers leaked. Answer no oil from covers or down sides of heads. The only other thing I can think of is from the oil cooler!!!

Ive never had a oil cooler off before so put me right if Im wrong please but the two pipes from the oil filter are a inlet and a return pipe for the oil. The water circulates around oil cooler. So Im guessing that either the oil is escaping from one of the unions or from one of the two pipe. Im wondering if I can disable the fuel pump I can turn it over without rebuilding all the plenum and see where the leak is???????

Any ideas welcome!!!!!  >:(

That much oil in the V must be the oil pipe to cooler unions...  :-/

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 May 2009, 13:53:15 »

If I remove the fuses for the fuel pump is it ok to turn her over with everything removed??

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 May 2009, 14:09:30 »

If I remove the fuses for the fuel pump is it ok to turn her over with everything removed??

Why would you want to mate?

I'd check those unions first! :y

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 May 2009, 14:22:55 »

I just Wanted to make sure it was a union and not one of the pipes that was spewing it our all over. Plus I can then rectify the problem and check it prior to putting it all back together.

Just thought that with the fuel disconnected turning it over would give enough pressure to force the oil out if it is still leaking, therfore not losign any more oil??

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 May 2009, 16:17:15 »

I just Wanted to make sure it was a union and not one of the pipes that was spewing it our all over. Plus I can then rectify the problem and check it prior to putting it all back together.

Just thought that with the fuel disconnected turning it over would give enough pressure to force the oil out if it is still leaking, therfore not losign any more oil??
If you  can spin it over fast enough you should generate some oil flow, but remember to make sure there is some oil left in the sump!

You could remove the plugs to lessen the strain and make it spin faster

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 May 2009, 18:21:08 »

Ok another update.

Stipped oil cooler unions and checked pipes but unable to see any cracks. Cleaned up and rebuild pipes however I was unable to find out which fuse/relay is was to isolate the fuel pump to enable me to turn it over without a rebuild. So I put it all back together and hey presto a couple of litres of oil pouring out of the engine in the same places. First at the back and then at the front, again from the V section so I think there must be a fractured pipe in there.

So if anyone has a set of oil pipes give me a shout.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 May 2009, 18:23:45 »

Have the pipes been bent at any time?

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 May 2009, 18:26:41 »

Not as far as Im aware James. We didnt remove them whilst doing heads, but saying that I wasnt always there when my Brother was working on it. There may be a possibility he was in the engine bay kneeling on them???? I know he sat on top of the left bank while removing the right bank but I wasnt there when he removed the other bank.

Thats 6/7 of vx oil down the drain or should I say on the front lawn as thats where it ran too  >:(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 May 2009, 18:29:54 »

Chin up mate, you'll get there. Sometimes these things happen.

On my 406 - I fitted the rear turbo oil feed pipe perfectly - it still Piddled out of there, when first started, and I had to re-seat it...

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 02 May 2009, 18:35:07 »

Im getting fed up of throwing good money down the drain. It was all running fine prior to starting stripping for this damn water leak.

I hate public transport. I wouldnt mind but if I had received my bonuses from work when they were due I would have been buying new ones of these anyway so its bloody works fauly  :-/

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 May 2009, 19:00:13 »

you could go totally ape and get another lump lol
you engine just seems to have leaks spring up everywhere...id have hit it with a hammer by now so keep at it for the benefit of a british made engine   :-X
V8!!!!

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 02 May 2009, 23:03:41 »

Im getting fed up of throwing good money down the drain. It was all running fine prior to starting stripping for this damn water leak.

I hate public transport. I wouldnt mind but if I had received my bonuses from work when they were due I would have been buying new ones of these anyway so its bloody works fauly  :-/
You're not a down on his luck Banker are you?

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 May 2009, 23:55:29 »

Nahhh works booming, its just they dont like parting with there money. But then again who does  :D

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 03 May 2009, 06:53:23 »

I dont want to sound negative about your oil leak, but have you considered that oil may be escaping from the oil feed to the head via the head gasket?

The oil feed hole is very close to the edge of the gasket and if it was peeing out from there for whatever reason, it would end up in the vee

This could also explain your oil starvation to the cam.....

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 03 May 2009, 18:21:22 »

It could be possible but without being able to run car while stripped down I will never see it. Saying that the leak appears to be at the rear of the engine as it runs down the rear first and then down the front slightly afterwards so Im guessing its at the rear. I tested this theory with water as I removed the cooler bridge. The water ran down the rear and slowly ran forward and down the front however there was no where near as much water from the cooler bridge than there was oil.

I think I will try the cooler pipes first and then consider the gasket if it doesnt work. Thats unless anyone knows how to disable the fuel pump to enable me to turn it over stripped down. Cause in its current state fuel would pump all over the place  :-/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.