Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre wear  (Read 3946 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre wear
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2009, 23:20:37 »

My concern is that 2 months ago the wear was even, now it is markedly not so, something has changed ..   :(
Did you see thie tires yourself 2 months ago or are we relying on the Mot tester to spot it AND pass on the info as an advisory? I cant think of anything other than set up that would cause this? Anyone...?

I clean the car regularly, and check/change the tyre pressures a lot (due to towing the pikey wagon) so I think I have noticed the wear fairly quickly.

My bit about the MOT is really that they check for wear/damage etc in the suspension (don't they ??) when they stick that pry bar in and waggle it about, so if there was any bad wear in wishbones/drop links etc it would (should ?)  have been picked up ?

I'm getting more convinced a trip to WIM for a full mechanical check might be the answer.

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2009, 23:21:47 »

just out of curiosity i was told my miggy needs all wheel tracking could this be true as both back tyres had inner edge wear???

Could well be. Or you carry alot of weight habitually?
Edit. In the boot i ment. Sorry. :-)

He does ...... A sodding great tank of gas!  :y :y :y
Yes, need to add the geometry set up bill to the total price of an lpg install imho. Will be doing mine again, it has had 60litre donut tank added plus mv6 front suspension and have just fitted a new vx omega rear bush. When the other bush and rear suspension is done off to wim it will go. Then new discs and that had better bloody be all it needs for a while. My back is killing me.

Might be some confusion here (Thanks Andy  :)  )

I have wear on the FRONT tyres and an LPG tank at the back ...

Sonikhead has wear on the BACK tyres ... and I have no idea if he has a LPG or not ......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So you do. I was confuddled with Chris's reply.  ::)  :y  :y
Was replying to sonichead Andy. Presumed you knew sonichead and that he had lpg. I did wonder for a minute. Anyway....

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2009, 23:30:14 »

My concern is that 2 months ago the wear was even, now it is markedly not so, something has changed ..   :(
Did you see thie tires yourself 2 months ago or are we relying on the Mot tester to spot it AND pass on the info as an advisory? I cant think of anything other than set up that would cause this? Anyone...?

I clean the car regularly, and check/change the tyre pressures a lot (due to towing the pikey wagon) so I think I have noticed the wear fairly quickly.

My bit about the MOT is really that they check for wear/damage etc in the suspension (don't they ??) when they stick that pry bar in and waggle it about, so if there was any bad wear in wishbones/drop links etc it would (should ?)  have been picked up ?

I'm getting more convinced a trip to WIM for a full mechanical check might be the answer.

Guess so. Worth a jack and wiggle first? You might spot something. But you dont mention any change in the way the car drives, i take it you have not noticed any pulling or steering wheel out of centre? No different feel at the wheel. Would have thought it would stand out from normal driving if its come on quickly. Wim say to check bushes idler and springs as im sure you know.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2009, 23:33:54 »

Guess so. Worth a jack and wiggle first? You might spot something. But you dont mention any change in the way the car drives, i take it you have not noticed any pulling or steering wheel out of centre? No different feel at the wheel. Would have thought it would stand out from normal driving if its come on quickly. Wim say to check bushes idler and springs as im sure you know.

Car handling does not appear to have changed at all. Springs have been checked visually, the "jack and wiggle" approach will only work if you know what to wiggle and how much :) .. in my case I know neither !! As to checking bushes and idlers .... havn't got a scoobie !!

So WIM it is .. I'll phone 'em Thursday :)

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2009, 20:13:53 »

Had a full geometric done this afternoon and the car is now spot on. No pitching in corners, no tramlining and no pulling to the left.
Full laser set up used and then went round the car again "old school style",  checking the tracking with a calibrated metal rod and a calibrated angle bubble guage for the camber.  
£50.00 well spent  :y  
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2009, 20:35:03 »

The beast is booked into WIM for next Tuesday for a full check over ... wonder what they'll find .. :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2009, 21:09:35 »

.....CUT......

......CUT......

Unfortunately the MOT tester is only checking for excessive wear, which is down to personal opinion.

Incidentally, having spoken at length with the guy who does my MOT's he told me that they have to buy Pass/Fail/Advisory paperwork in one pack, which only contains about 10 advisory sheets :o :o :o I wonder if this has any effect on testers issuing advisories? :-/ :-/ :-? :-?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2009, 21:48:14 »

I had a chat with my MOT guy about acceptable levels of play in suspension when I got the Westfield done this year (computer insists on him taking 50 minutes to do the test when it only takes him 15 minutes to get round it!).

I came away thinking that it'd be dificult to keep the damned thing on the road before he'd fail anything for play. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

arlee219

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2009, 21:53:01 »

have a similar problem, but my mechanic told me it's beacuse I carry 120ltr LPG tang in the boot. Got the tracking done last summer and that improved things a little... still... have to take turns at the lower speed :))))
2.2 CD Auto LPG Conv Xreg

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2009, 21:57:51 »

have a similar problem, but my mechanic told me it's beacuse I carry 120ltr LPG tang in the boot. Got the tracking done last summer and that improved things a little... still... have to take turns at the lower speed :))))

That must have been a squeeze :o :o :o :o

My 90L only just fitted under the bose shelf, although I could have gone longer (100L) if I'd needed to but I think it would have been a real pain fitting it
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2009, 21:58:52 »

.....CUT......

......CUT......

Unfortunately the MOT tester is only checking for excessive wear, which is down to personal opinion.

Incidentally, having spoken at length with the guy who does my MOT's he told me that they have to buy Pass/Fail/Advisory paperwork in one pack, which only contains about 10 advisory sheets :o :o :o I wonder if this has any effect on testers issuing advisories? :-/ :-/ :-? :-?

'Excessive' is the word for MOT level, both of my Omega's passed their MOT's as far as wishbone bushes are concerned, both had new wishbones fitted months later by WIM due to excessive play in the bushes meaning that the Geometry couldn't be set.
The difference in handling is very noticable.

My current car has now had complete front and rear suspension replaced and drives and handles totally differently to the original 65K suspension it sat on.

arlee219

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2009, 22:56:01 »

That must have been a squeeze :o :o :o :o

My 90L only just fitted under the bose shelf, although I could have gone longer (100L) if I'd needed to but I think it would have been a real pain fitting it

Checked capacity independently couple of times :) Couldn't believe it. It's polish make. Said to be a very good one :)
2.2 CD Auto LPG Conv Xreg

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2009, 13:58:57 »

Okies .. back from WIM .... reason for my tyre wear is very simple ..and why the local idiots couldn't see it is amazing ......

Worn wishbone bushes. Nowt else. Drop links/springs/other stuff all checked out as good .. just the wishbones knackered.

So, best place/price for wishbones ?? and can I do them myself ???

Off to see if I can find a "how-to" ... but any advice gratefuly accepted :)

EDIT  ::  found this thread

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1242763288

and following Mark DTM's advice been onto autovaux ... a pair of Lemforder wishbones + required bolts are on their way .. :)

Also found this "how to"

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152986949

is there anything else I need/should know ???

EDIT #2

Reading the "book of lies" (Haynes) there is no mention of wishbones.. is the posh name "Front Lower Suspension Arm"  ??

Pretty please .. :)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 15:37:11 by entwood »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2009, 15:10:44 »

Okies .. back from WIM .... reason for my tyre wear is very simple ..and why the local idiots couldn't see it is amazing ......

Worn wishbone bushes. Nowt else. Drop links/springs/other stuff all checked out as good .. just the wishbones knackered.

So, best place/price for wishbones ?? and can I do them myself ???

Off to see if I can find a "how-to" ... but any advice gratefuly accepted :)

Looks like it will be the same for me too then  :'(

Luckily i already have them, i bought pattern can't remember how much. Not a lot....

Think i will chuck mine in the boot and ask WIM to replace them.

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2009, 15:51:36 »

Reading the "book of lies" (Haynes) there is no mention of wishbones.. is the posh name "Front Lower Suspension Arm"  ??

Pretty please .. :)
Yep - I suppose they probably give it a 1 out of 5 do they?   :-/;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.