Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on brake pads ..  (Read 3733 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Question on brake pads ..
« Reply #30 on: 09 June 2009, 10:41:55 »

yes, couldnt understand it, he told me exactly what they were!  and they were cheaper than the TC pads!

There are a few others on here profited from their parts too  :y

i offered up anything I didnt want.

Was the others :

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1238696457/54#54

feeutfo

« Reply #31 on: 09 June 2009, 18:18:22 »

right. Set ordered or reserved i should say. First price he quoted was over £100. When questioned he said thats retail. Trade club price is £71odd. But he had them on the shelf and said they sell quite a few! Just oofers that are tight then!  ;D

Will pick up tomorrow and see if i can get the bloody wear sensor out without braking it.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 June 2009, 19:41:13 »

Andy .. quick Q if I may ... :)

Which pads do you get when you buy the whole disc/pads axle set then ???

The whole lot comes in one box under part no 93175466 Installation set @ £103 retail, £75.74 TC

Ta   :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 June 2009, 22:40:36 »

The whole lot comes in one box under part no 93175466 Installation set @ £103 retail, £75.74 TC

Squeaky ones IME. ::)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 June 2009, 23:14:10 »

Squeaky ones IME. ::)

Kevin

Agreed .. I can't stop the front right squeaking .. had it off and on 3 times now ..... :( , chamfer is good, copperslip on the back of both pads, shimmed pad to the caliper, high temp grease on the sliders and the casting where the pad sits .. can't think of anything else to try .. :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 June 2009, 23:16:09 »

Agreed .. I can't stop the front right squeaking .. had it off and on 3 times now ..... :( , chamfer is good, copperslip on the back of both pads, shimmed pad to the caliper, high temp grease on the sliders and the casting where the pad sits .. can't think of anything else to try .. :(

Not just me then. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 June 2009, 23:39:11 »

can't think of anything else to try .. :(

It's very simple Nige - turn up the radio  ;D

In all seriousness, I've had this, it's a pain  >:(

feeutfo

« Reply #37 on: 10 June 2009, 00:08:15 »

you get the £14 trace club ones, referred to as after market, in the box wish the front discs as part of the trace club package on the front.

You do not get the oe fronts (£70 tc price) that match the £40 rear pads that i beleive you now have.

Re the squeak, my old front pads where installed incorrectly i thought, ie both shimmed pads on the drivers side and both non shimmed on the pass side. The direction arrow on one shim was in the correct direction on the drivers side, the other shimmed pad on the drivers side did not have a direction arrow.  No squeak but then they where a mess. Thing is the new pads with same part number on them had no arrows at all.

I installed the new pads with the shimmed pad on the piston side of the each caliper. Still no squeak.
But i have not yet finished the 200 mile bed in period. So still time for them to start squealing.
My new and old pads are same as yours from the trade club front disc and pad set as i understand it.

After speaking in person to Kevin a while back and witnessing his Squeak, i deliberately kept the metal shims off the old pads to stick on the unshimmed new pad if they did squeak.  In short, you could try both shimmed pads on the speaky side. Or if both sides squeak fit the old shims on both non shimmed pads. Not saying it will def. work but something to try. They where only glued on. Or get the £70 oe pads..?

As said. I will get the oe, "made of gold" pads tomorrow, fit thursday morning and report back if it helps.

Now then, wheres that Mr copper slip, sorry, i mean Andy B? Hmm? :-)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 June 2009, 00:11:29 »

I knew you'd have to use it in the end! I looked for mine earlier today ..... but couldn't find it. I'll have to get some more from stores tomorrow! (for use in work ..... obviously ;):y  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 11 June 2009, 11:31:54 »

I knew you'd have to use it in the end! I looked for mine earlier today ..... but couldn't find it. I'll have to get some more from stores tomorrow! (for use in work ..... obviously ;):y  :y
oh dear he has his copper tinted spectacles on again? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 June 2009, 11:33:26 »

oh dear he has his copper tinted spectacles on again? ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D  ;D  :y  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2009, 11:59:31 »

right, "gold pads" fitted and complete transformation. Even reversing out of the drive, slight press on the pedal to select drive and could tell the difference straght away, drove round the block and that whole dead spot of pedal travel where nothing happens has gone. i have not even reached the same level of pedal pressure needed to get the old pads to start working and these already work better. Bear in mind they have not even started to bed in yetand already work far better than the old pads.

To keep this in perspective i dont think these pads are especially good when compared to other 20k plus cars, more that the £14 "aftermarket pads" are exceptionally sh1teandt it does bring home what you can "get used to"

Big thanks to Entwood for asking the question, and omegatoy gets a proverbial gold star for confirming the new pads do work and are defo worth the money .....well, still steep imho but in the world of GM you get what you pay for.

Pics below. Note, ALL pads have proper anti sqeal shims on them that cover all the contact areas on the edges prevent the caliper making any contact with the metal pad backing. The pad material is totally dafferaent.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2009, 12:26:14 »

Interesting...

Trying to recall what I had on mine before I changed them. Don't recall them being any different to the ones I fitted, which would mean cheapo. I've never had such a bad set of pads as the current ones for noise, though. On previous "tin tops" I just bought whatever my local factors sold me too. Then again, most cars have separate anti-rattle shims where currently I have none on the side faces of the pads.

Kevin

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 11 June 2009, 12:53:52 »

these shims are rivetted on as opposed to the glue used on the aftermarket pads. just trying to search the Jurid name on the back. Maybe they can be had cheeper direct from the manufacturer...?

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 June 2009, 19:40:33 »

right, "gold pads" fitted and complete transformation. Even reversing out of the drive, slight press on the pedal to select drive and could tell the difference straght away, drove round the block and that whole dead spot of pedal travel where nothing happens has gone. i have not even reached the same level of pedal pressure needed to get the old pads to start working and these already work better. Bear in mind they have not even started to bed in yetand already work far better than the old pads.

To keep this in perspective i dont think these pads are especially good when compared to other 20k plus cars, more that the £14 "aftermarket pads" are exceptionally sh1teandt it does bring home what you can "get used to"

Big thanks to Entwood for asking the question, and omegatoy gets a proverbial gold star for confirming the new pads do work and are defo worth the money .....well, still steep imho but in the world of GM you get what you pay for.

Pics below. Note, ALL pads have proper anti sqeal shims on them that cover all the contact areas on the edges prevent the caliper making any contact with the metal pad backing. The pad material is totally dafferaent.

yehaa glad you find the difference as i do!! now i know you hurting over the price  :obut just watch how long they actually last with no degradation of performance or feel, hope you wrote the mileage down cos you will have forgotten it by the time they want replacing!!! :y
« Last Edit: 11 June 2009, 19:41:08 by Omegatoy »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.