Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine fail ??? please advise  (Read 5435 times)

chrispin

• View Profile
Re: Engine fail ??? please advise
« Reply #45 on: 09 March 2011, 19:27:48 »

There is no need to do a transplant mate, just change the heads and gaskets and fit a new belt kit and away you go. if you need a pair of heads i have a pair of 2.5 heads (no cams) which i am sure we can come to some agreement on.
Up to you of course. :y
My friend said far easier to do this than strip down and rebuild ???
I guess that would mean i would have to fit the cams from my heads what about the valves ?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 March 2011, 19:33:37 »

There is no need to do a transplant mate, just change the heads and gaskets and fit a new belt kit and away you go. if you need a pair of heads i have a pair of 2.5 heads (no cams) which i am sure we can come to some agreement on.
Up to you of course. :y
My friend said far easier to do this than strip down and rebuild ???
I guess that would mean i would have to fit the cams from my heads what about the valves ?
yep, but if you buy just the heads make sure they have the cam bearing caps as these are unique to the head.
Rather than all this hypothesising, wouldn`t it be prudent to wait until you have done an inspection to ascertain what if any damage may or may have not been caused ;) :y
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 19:38:03 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

chrispin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 March 2011, 19:42:48 »

To be armed with as much knowledge as possible

1 to know what to look for process of elimination and where to go next
 and
2 know what to be prepared for and whats it going to take to fix it !

chrispin

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12 March 2011, 21:30:01 »

Well I stripped out half the front of the engine !! but eventually managed to get the cam cover off as i pulled it away i saw the imediate failure  :'( the tensioner on the left hand V had disintergrated so not belt failure but good as the metal parts of the pulley were blue where they had cooked i found ball barings behind the gears at the top so i called my mech friend we turned the crank with a bar the pistons went up and down but you could also hear the valves rattling as well  :'( he also said there was play in the water pump as well so that was on the way out basicly whoever changed the last belt did so without pump or tensioners as the belt was in very good condition  >:(a ticking time bomb one question not that it makes much difference how do you get the crank pulley off 5 small nuts and 1 big nut but how do you stop it spinning  >:(

We have decided to get a new engine and rebuild it new seals gaskets cam kit and water pump interested in 3ltr cams

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 March 2011, 22:36:13 »

Well I stripped out half the front of the engine !! but eventually managed to get the cam cover off as i pulled it away i saw the imediate failure  :'( the tensioner on the left hand V had disintergrated so not belt failure but good as the metal parts of the pulley were blue where they had cooked i found ball barings behind the gears at the top so i called my mech friend we turned the crank with a bar the pistons went up and down but you could also hear the valves rattling as well  :'( he also said there was play in the water pump as well so that was on the way out basicly whoever changed the last belt did so without pump or tensioners as the belt was in very good condition  >:(a ticking time bomb one question not that it makes much difference how do you get the crank pulley off 5 small nuts and 1 big nut but how do you stop it spinning  >:(

We have decided to get a new engine and rebuild it new seals gaskets cam kit and water pump interested in 3ltr cams

I am about halfway through fitting them to my 2.5 :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 March 2011, 00:44:30 »

The heads that i have for sale just need your cams fitted and they come with the cam cap as well. valves are all good and dont need lapping.
You looking at a lot of work for nothing unless you really want the 3.0 lt motor.
Sorry to hear about the bearing failure but not uncommon i am afraid.
 FINE ENGINE LET DOWN BY PISS POOR BEARINGS. >:(
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #51 on: 13 March 2011, 08:02:26 »

I have a good 3ltr Engine here for not a great deal of money if you are interested mate :y
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

chrispin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 March 2011, 20:40:42 »

Hi the cost of this project is not to bad the biggest costs will be engine 2.5/3.0 gaskits and cam kit 2.5 with 3ltr cams ?

The rebuild and engine swap will be £100 ( mates rates )

Its the other potential damage to pistons rods and crank shaft and barings that lean me towards engine replacement with full rebuild ( oil cooler ??? does this need replacing as well ? as were there !)

I had considered going to 3ltr but was not sure how much extra work and parts would need to be changed
2 questions Mutant Cav
1 how much
2 is the engine in or out ?
Thanks
Chris

youth

• just outside boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 March 2011, 21:19:46 »

my first two points to check would be belt and starter itself and find out if thats engaging and i know from replacing my enine found out that the crank sensor was faulty and the car wouldnt engage starter or create a spark hope this helps

Faulty crank sensor won't stop engine turning over  ;) only stops it starting.

well i dont know then lol must have had another problem lol not the first time it has cured itself lol last time it was with the maf sensor decided not to work for a week then was fine again  :D

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #54 on: 13 March 2011, 22:46:09 »

PM sent...the engines are exactly the same, just internals that are bigger, external, components etc are the same, 2.5 throttle body needs to be retained rather than using the 3.0 throttle body...if you have a manual then the 2.5 gearbox will be strong enough...if not then I can supply you with the 3.0 auto box all in one...its currently in the car but can have it out in 2-3 hours...basically on the whole its a straight swap in every way :y
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

youth

• just outside boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 March 2011, 23:54:35 »

Hi the cost of this project is not to bad the biggest costs will be engine 2.5/3.0 gaskits and cam kit 2.5 with 3ltr cams ?

Its the other potential damage to pistons rods and crank shaft and barings that lean me towards engine replacement with full rebuild ( oil cooler ??? does this need replacing as well ? as were there !)

I had considered going to 3ltr but was not sure how much extra work and parts would need to be changed
2 questions Mutant Cav
1 how much
Thanks
Chris
go for the engine swap its easier and sometimes an engine with less miles on it too

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #56 on: 14 March 2011, 02:22:54 »

my first two points to check would be belt and starter itself and find out if thats engaging and i know from replacing my enine found out that the crank sensor was faulty and the car wouldnt engage starter or create a spark hope this helps

well i dont know then lol must have had another problem lol not the first time it has cured itself lol last time it was with the maf sensor decided not to work for a week then was fine again  :D

???????? What?????????????  :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

As I said a breaked crank sensor will not stop engine turning over, or starter engaging, it only stops it firing (starting)  ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14 March 2011, 11:24:21 »

2 questions Mutant Cav
1 how much
Thanks
Chris
go for the engine swap its easier and sometimes an engine with less miles on it too
Matter of opinion really.... My engine's done 171k but I would rebuild it because I know it's well maintained ;)

If you know the history of your engine and know it's been well cared for and serviced, why fit an unknown entity? :-/ :-/ Removing and rebuilding the heads is easier than swapping the engines IMO :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14 March 2011, 11:26:29 »

???????? What?????????????  :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

As I said a breaked crank sensor will not stop engine turning over, or starter engaging, it only stops it firing (starting)  ::)

lol - laugh out loud

Its often case now where many people can't type three words without typing lol as well  :(

Should point out that text speak is against forum rules!

chrispin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 March 2011, 18:15:33 »

2 questions Mutant Cav
1 how much
Thanks
Chris
Matter of opinion really.... My engine's done 171k but I would rebuild it because I know it's well maintained ;)

If you know the history of your engine and know it's been well cared for and serviced, why fit an unknown entity? :-/ :-/ Removing and rebuilding the heads is easier than swapping the engines IMO :y
The current engine is an unknown entity ! I have only had the car fully on the road about 6 weeks and it was its first long run and bang acording to the service history it was well maintained and had a cam changes as required

Yes you probably can change the heads easier than a full lump but what about all the other potential damage that the cam has caused crank barings rods pistons rings and and and

Unfortunately I have to move by easter so I will have to put the car on hold park her up and do what i can in the mean time may try and get the old lump out get it on a stand and let my friend pull it apart  ;D 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.