Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not another cambelt thread!!?!?  (Read 4696 times)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
Re: Not another cambelt thread!!?!?
« Reply #45 on: 23 November 2011, 23:41:15 »

Picture to follow, if my lack of 3G and desire to wait for the router to wake up allows it...
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 November 2011, 00:04:04 »

Laser did have a spate of poor quality castings a couple of years back, and some kits simply didn't fit a V6 engine. I believe a member contacted laser and they had been recalled, but some unscrupulous retailers just e-bayed the faulty kits instead of returning them.

I have a laser kit and, whilst it isn't the best quality, it does the job. If we can believe the above, then the truly useless ones should be out of circulation by now.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 November 2011, 08:17:28 »

Read the instructions when I got in last night, D'oh! Found them in the bottom of the box, lol

Fron the pictures in the book, I reckon they were upside down! They did just slide in but wouldn't the 'right' way, though I reckon some careful manipulation would'a seen them in.

It's the Sykes pikavant kit ;)

User error!

albitz

« Reply #48 on: 24 November 2011, 12:13:40 »

SP - quality. :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 November 2011, 23:58:29 »

Tomorrow brings the joy of setting the timing properly on the left bank. But for tonight, I have been tackling my rocker cover gaskets. All going well, got my covers drying on the radiator after a blast with the old engine degreaser and some finger-hosepipe action, I randomly remembered my fuel pressure regulator vacuum springing off out of site on removal- I have had a feel round with my fingers and can't bloomin' find it!

Would that be because it's attached to the big pipe off the idle contol valve, sitting on my bench, or do I need to keep searching?

Lol

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 26 November 2011, 17:47:30 »

Tomorrow brings the joy of setting the timing properly on the left bank. But for tonight, I have been tackling my rocker cover gaskets. All going well, got my covers drying on the radiator after a blast with the old engine degreaser and some finger-hosepipe action, I randomly remembered my fuel pressure regulator vacuum springing off out of site on removal- I have had a feel round with my fingers and can't bloomin' find it!

Would that be because it's attached to the big pipe off the idle control valve, sitting on my bench, or do I need to keep searching?

Lol

Yes  :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2011, 20:11:48 »

:y nice I'm glad I came to that conclusion before long lol

Nearly there with it now, just gotta get the aux pulleys/belt back on and the inlet gubbins injector rail etc then it's time to fire it up but before I do I have one thing bugging me,

What torque is the tensioner supposed to be set to?

The Haynes says 40 for the eccentric pulleys (iirc) but only 20 for the main tensioner.
But, since doing it up to te stated 20, checking, then refitting the cambelt cover, I have read elsewhere it should be up to 40, the same as Haynes quoted for the lower and upper pulleys!

So which is right? Haynes book of jokes or the 'total vauxhall' v6 cambelt change guide??

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26 November 2011, 23:37:13 »

20nm is correct for the bolt on the tensioner. 40nm for the idler pulleys and backplate casting.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2011, 08:16:09 »

20nm is correct for the bolt on the tensioner. 40nm for the idler pulleys and backplate casting.
:y mind at rest, thanks.

Now I just need to finish getting it back together when I get home.. Fingers crossed it'll run lol

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2011, 19:11:29 »

Nearly there...  I have a random pipe maybe it's a gearbox breather???

It's zip tied to the breather that splits to two on the inlet plenum that y piece elbow thing off the big pipe. I can't remember removing it and can't find a home and it goes south down the back of the engine bay so I'm assuming it's a gearbox breather...

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 November 2011, 00:22:21 »

Well I have just made a successful 50odd mile round trip in the car, and all seems good (ish) everything seems to work...

Except the cooling fan! I'm slightly puzzled as I don't remember disconnecting the cooling fan (it is still connected) so a bit unsure why that's suddenly stopped working, but will investigate tomorrow. But the main thing is, (as far as the relevance of this thread is concearned) that my cam belt change went well. Took all week, but got the results needed.

Also established that my camshafts are on their deathbed as it looks like they've overheated at some point with blueing to the ends of the lobes, which has started to wear away- but it's only minor so far so will try to keep in check with a oil flush (got some wynns engine flush, give it a go in case internal oil ways are blocked) mandatory regular oil changes, til I can be bothered to change them for some less worn ones lol.

I've also failed to properly assess the issue with the rocker covers, seems the drivers side bank is still gashing oil out, so maybe it's warped/damaged but hey, more fool me for not properly evaluating the situation!

JayMV6

• Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 November 2011, 00:41:57 »

Congrats on getting the timing done properly bud. Does sound like a warpped rocker cover tho. :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28 November 2011, 10:29:42 »

Congrats on getting the timing done properly bud. Does sound like a warpped rocker cover tho. :y

I think so.. I shoulda known really, the previous owner reckoned he'd done them and when I found a blockage in a breather I assumed it had simply blown out under pressure, but it's only the drivers side so at least I won't have to battle with the wiring loom to get it off again, lmao!

My confidence has notched up a level now ;)

Feel smug too , my brother came over on Saturday, he was a bus mechanic for 15 years, so imagine my satisfaction when he told me I know better what I'm doing than he does, he's never done a cambelt!! Ha!

I did have a new air filter to go in too, from vauxhall, but it don't seem to fit, its about 4mm longer than the box, was there different spec air filters for different models/eras? It would go in but all crumpled and the box wouldn't close so I put the old airblocker back in lol anyone shed light on that?

Should get a project thread updated really this is a cambelt thread lol!

albitz

« Reply #58 on: 28 November 2011, 11:14:46 »

As far as I know the airfilters were all the same,but Im willing to be corrected. :-\
Camcovers dont usually warp,but if they have been seriously overtightened its possible.Did you tighten them to 8nm ?
Which engine is in your car by the way ?

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28 November 2011, 13:11:52 »

As far as I know the airfilters were all the same,but Im willing to be corrected. :-\
Camcovers dont usually warp,but if they have been seriously overtightened its possible.Did you tighten them to 8nm ?
Which engine is in your car by the way ?

It's the 3.0 :)

And they were torqued to bang on, my torque wrench only went down to about 30 so I brought one specially  :y

And sealant used where directed.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.