Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: What car should I buy?  (Read 26053 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: What car should I buy?
« Reply #180 on: 15 November 2018, 20:39:54 »

Only Elite appears to have cruise, the one extra that I would appreciate. Not that this car would be for me, I have my V reg Omega. This car would be for my daughter, who never used it on an Omega.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 15 November 2018, 20:45:56 »

Buy the brochure I linked to and it will give you a better understanding of spec and options for any given car :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 15 November 2018, 21:00:22 »

you can look at all specs inc MPG,trim etc at parkers
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vauxhall/astra/hatchback-2004/review/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 15 November 2018, 21:03:07 »

I think Life is the base model (wheel trims etc) and SXi is usually the one that looks sporty but isn't (Alloys, boot spoiler, sport style seats) but otherwise standard.
Sri is the sporty one...
Which it also isn't LOL

Usually VX's SRI models have stiffer shocks, bit more Ali trim, bigger alloys, barryboys exhaust trim and if your very lucky a closer ratio gearbox (Vectra B).  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 15 November 2018, 21:19:10 »

I think Life is the base model (wheel trims etc) and SXi is usually the one that looks sporty but isn't (Alloys, boot spoiler, sport style seats) but otherwise standard.
Sri is the sporty one...
Which it also isn't LOL

Usually VX's SRI models have stiffer shocks, bit more Ali trim, bigger alloys, barryboys exhaust trim and if your very lucky a closer ratio gearbox (Vectra B).  ::)
The larger engine sports hatch in Sri spec had all of the above, and with the styling pack and 18" alloys looked and went with purpose.

Parkers is ok at a glance but shit on detail, especially for older cars... retail brochure leaves no ambiguity with regards to specs and options... and at £3.50, it's hardly bank breaking ;D

The retail brochure and pricelist should be part of any pre purchase research, especially if you're looking at a specific model range ;)
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 21:22:33 by Doctor Gollum »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 15 November 2018, 21:46:10 »

bangernomics
the 3.50 leaflet is 1% of the £350 purchase  ;D
I may look at another H design estate tomorrow for the fleet  ::)
retire another G estate  ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 15 November 2018, 21:47:56 »

Sri is the sporty one...
Which it also isn't LOL

The larger engine sports hatch in Sri spec had all of the above, and with the styling pack and 18" alloys looked and went with purpose.

Parkers is ok at a glance but shit on detail, especially for older cars... retail brochure leaves no ambiguity with regards to specs and options... and at £3.50, it's hardly bank breaking ;D

The retail brochure and pricelist should be part of any pre purchase research, especially if you're looking at a specific model range ;)
Agreed. Bought it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 15 November 2018, 23:07:39 »

It's utterly irrelevant for sub £1000 bangers. What you're interested in is condition, plenty of MOT, low cost and decent spares support. That the car has electric windows or poncy trim isn't worth worrying about, although I am more likely to buy a bigger engined model because they usually drive better. They tend to be cheaper too, so that's another point in their favour.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 16 November 2018, 08:58:46 »

Depends... Whilst MoT length, followed by condition and price/budget are always the first priorities for most car purchases (especially cheap/immediate transport), understanding the differences between two given models can focus your search, especially if things like engine/gearbox (a 1.8 Vectra C is no use to anyone with an auto only license as they never made one) and cruise control or a sunroof are important features on the wish list... As Terry looks like running a fleet of Astra Hs, he might find it useful  ;)

The brochure will also tell you if items such as cruise are available options, and therefore if it's possible to retro fit it, which can influence potential purchase choices :y

Also, speaking personally, I find the brochures of cars that I am considering/or own and like to be an interesting addition to the car itself... Whether it's a late registered Omega or a £400 167k mile A Class. No I don't have any bumpf for the Focus :D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 17 November 2018, 18:04:02 »

Sri is the sporty one...
Which it also isn't LOL

Agreed. Bought it.
Brochure arrived today, in mint condition. I shall study it when in the mood. As Nick says, when buying under £1000 bangers, what I look for are the price, length of MOT, MOT history, how far away, how many keys, and how it drives. If it were to be my car, specification would matter more, but for family members it is irrelevant..
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.