Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: window tinting!! fkin idiot!!  (Read 2533 times)

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • 99,3.0 MV6 Est Ex Police
    • View Profile
window tinting!! fkin idiot!!
« on: 24 January 2012, 03:05:30 »

Hi again..

As ive been busy i wanted my rear windows tinting but hasnt been the right weather or too busy to do it...

A mate said he was board tday & said i'll tint ur windows as its dry & ur car at home....

Ive come back to yes he's tinted the windows.... BUT ON THE rather OUTSIDE OF GLASS!!!! WHAT A TWXT!!!  >:o Angry

ive removed the tint off back doors (tint took 30seconds the rather GLUE!! 3!! HOURS!!) that i didnt ask him to do! But rear windows ive left at mo... as calnt be bothered to remove all that glue again!!!

Thank god he didnt do the rear window!!!!

Is it correct that the 2 rear windows are just bolted in with 10mm nuts???

Does any body have a pair?? Free or For Sale.....??

without the alarm sensors?? so i can re tint them & change them over or are they bonded in????

Help!!! Next time i do it myself!!

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
Re: window tinting!! fkin idiot!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2012, 05:53:36 »

thiners will remove the glue but keep it off the paint, had same thing happen a few years ago bar for he did the inside but left bubbles in it so all had to come off. thiners on a rag got it off in no time at all.
also there is some stuff you can get in a can but cannot remember the name friend used it when his car got painted by some yob's with tin of red paint. it tuck the paint off and left the original pain alone. some one on here may know the name.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 05:57:37 by freecall666 »
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2012, 12:08:37 »

thiners will remove the glue but keep it off the paint, had same thing happen a few years ago bar for he did the inside but left bubbles in it so all had to come off. thiners on a rag got it off in no time at all.
also there is some stuff you can get in a can but cannot remember the name friend used it when his car got painted by some yob's with tin of red paint. it tuck the paint off and left the original pain alone. some one on here may know the name.
tryed just about everything but some stuff reacted & went very sticky others made it go non sticky & cloudy but wouldnt shift it

tryed some thinners but after reading the back was substitute thinners..... also substitute turpentine...  & meths spirit!!
y are all these things now substitute??

but yeah i did end up using standard 2k thinners for paint mixing only prob was bleached the edges of rubber trim & an absolute bastard 2 polish glass after, & this morning i found sum panel wipe for paint preping i cuda used... ohwell

but to make life easyer i was going to tint a pair of rear windows & just swop them over as of shape of glass a pain from inside & ive got 2 replace all the white plastic trims in the car anyway & fit leather door cards etc so can easy swop glass over any idea if they do bolt in?? Cheers m8

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2012, 13:11:19 »

I had to remove my front window tints for being too dark and had the same problem with the glue residue. Following advice from on here, I used some stuff called Sticky Stuff Remover and this worked well.

See here......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sticky-Stuff-Remover-Removes-labels-tape-etc-200ml-/320631827759?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item4aa7256d2f

I did have to use some meths afterwards just to clean the windows up. Hope this helps. :y
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2012, 13:34:57 »

on estate you need to take the back pannels off then were the boot cover runners were there are a few allenkey bolts, that takes the trim off then the window is sealed in with glue, maybe the same at top of window aswell but there are different tops sections from year to year, only noticed this when taking the alarm wiring out of a scrap car.
next door to me said he used some Tcut to get his off not the cheap stuff, said keep the Tcut wet.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 13:36:53 by freecall666 »
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2012, 13:41:32 »

Hi again..

As ive been busy i wanted my rear windows tinting but hasnt been the right weather or too busy to do it...

A mate said he was board tday & said i'll tint ur windows as its dry & ur car at home....

Ive come back to yes he's tinted the windows.... BUT ON THE rather OUTSIDE OF GLASS!!!! WHAT A TWXT!!!  >:o Angry

ive removed the tint off back doors (tint took 30seconds the rather GLUE!! 3!! HOURS!!) that i didnt ask him to do! But rear windows ive left at mo... as calnt be bothered to remove all that glue again!!!

without the alarm sensors?? so i can re tint them & change them over or are they bonded in????

Yes it is.   :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2012, 15:08:57 »

hard typing when im laughing so much.is it common to tint the outside then i`ve never herd of it.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2012, 15:33:27 »

Hi again..

Guys a knob but I can see the funny side :)
Hope you get it off ok mate
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2012, 15:44:01 »

Reminds me of when I was watching a mate of mine who was struggling to fit Mud Flaps on His XR3i, I let Him finish the last Flap and then pointed out to Him "You know there only going to be effective when your going in reverse, don't you".

tango

• Intermediate Member
  • brum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2012, 18:10:26 »

i had to remove the tints of my car once after the old bill pulled me over
i found that using a wall paper steamer and a stanley blade gets the glue off nicley can be messy though

BOONY

• sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2012, 20:50:14 »

tried tinting mine and had to take it off try nail polish remover but the one with Acetone in worked a treat cleaned it all off
the very back glass is held in by 6- 8 nuts below the trim pannels

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2012, 22:27:39 »

Reminds me of when I was watching a mate of mine who was struggling to fit Mud Flaps on His XR3i, I let Him finish the last Flap and then pointed out to Him "You know there only going to be effective when your going in reverse, don't you".

;D ;D ;D :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2012, 10:10:49 »

I've conducted several "emergency tint-ectomies" now, generally it's just a case of liberating one corner of the film and pulling....

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2012, 02:25:09 »

Right ive managed 2 clean all windows except rear 1/4 windows with a mixture of what u guys suggested....

Nail varnish remover made my eyes water after a few mins! worked well but if i calnt see what im doing fkit!!

thinners (proper stuff) did good & with help of a flat stanley blade did really well..!!

t,cut made a fkin mess of window rubber, dry cloth worked well but wet cloth useless!!

windowleen average but again with help of stanley worked good

can of graffiti/sticky remover in a airosol can did Very well but spray on a rag not on window because the lpg inside it marks paintwork like silicon bumper spray...

& when i do get a day when i change my interior to leather & remove headlining & trim panels for unmarked/unripped/undamaged ones
i remove rear windows & tint them from inside & refit them!! Cheers Guys!!!  :y :y :y :y :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2012, 08:45:19 »

& when i do get a day when i change my interior to leather & remove headlining & trim panels for unmarked/unripped/undamaged ones
i remove rear windows & tint them from inside & refit them!!

I may have just those items coming up soon off a car I may be breaking....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.