Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2018, 18:31:28 »

That's cheap even adding fitting costs to the price. :y

But I am the wrong one to advise as I always buy the best top branded tyres I can afford and that policy has done me proud for decades.

Buying these from Ebay would also be a problem for me :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2018, 18:32:45 »

Tyres and peoples requirements are a very personal thing.

I personally insist that they have some element of grip in wet and dry, so would only consider ever consider A rated wet grip.

Others feel as long as its black and round, that meets all criteria.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2018, 18:41:31 »

If you are looking for budget tyres for an Omega (ie something to get you through an MOT) then something like Nexen CP641 would do.

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2018, 19:10:03 »

It has a long MOT done 3 weeks ago, but the tyres are near the wear indicators and the slimy dealer wasn't going to give me a kind look never mind new tyres, I just merely want to know what people think about tyres that are not overpriced which the majority of the big established brands are, I worked for National Tyres many years ago and it was a real eye opener I can tell you !
I believe budget tyres are not all bad, because of the internet and more competition they can be manufactured and sold at lower prices, obviously there are so many makes hence my query, best tyres I ever purchased were Stomil and they were budget many years ago, they were still on the Volvo when I sold it after 4 years and had hardly worn and gripped and handled well.......
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2018, 19:24:28 »

Generally, the budget ones have a massive difference between wet and dry performance, and that can catch you out.

The only one I would categorically tell you not to use is the Autogrip FS10(something), as these are truly lethal.

I have experience of CP641 tthat VXL V6 suggested, and agree with him, but would add they can aquaplane worse than premium type tyres

Nexen N6000 offer mid range grip, but an excellent ride for cruising, and good straight line stability.

Kuhmo KU3(x) offer pretty good grip, but no feedback, so if being spirited, never quite sure when they will put you in a ditch.

Most of the current Dunlop SportMaxx variants offer reasonable performance, but tend to fall off a cliff at around 3mm

Falken tend, on the Omega, to have near dangerous (lack of) straight line stability

Some here have had good results with GY F1 Assym2, but I found they offered midrange grip at premium prices. I also had 4 failures out of the 6 I had.

I had awful grip and wear problems with Conti SC5 (like I trashed the fronts in 3k)

Avon ZZ5 lasted me 4k on the rear, midrange level grip

I have had a LOT of tyres, and driven lots and lots of members' cars, so have a reasonable grasp of what works on the Omega...   ...although to me grip is everything.

I personally use Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my remaining Omega now...  ...with the most recent pair going on a couple of weeks back.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2018, 19:33:44 »

Thing is, Omega is a heavy, RWD and quite powerful (for the time) car and any tyre that falls into the budget (and that pointless midrange tag) usually wont work well in all departments.

As per TheBoy I tend to use well proven (on here) tyres on mine which currently means Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4's in the drier months (Previously used various Dunlop's which have steadily been getting worse with each new version) and at the moment Uniroyal Rainsport 3's which I put on as an experiment for the wetter months (which this year seem to have turned to snowier months for a change!), this vehicle does about 30 - 40K a year

One car is running 18" wheels and as I was spending money on bigger brakes and wheels I went for Avon tyres to keep in my depleting budget! These have been good although I've not done many miles on them to be fair as the car isn't used in the winter.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2018, 19:36:18 »

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4's
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
or
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

I don't think there is a Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4 ;)
Grumpy old man

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2018, 20:19:19 »

It would seem that the Michelins are summer tyres, I really need all season, any recommendations please ?
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2018, 20:28:45 »

Someone’s amazing tyre will be next mans ditch finder, tyre reviews are fairly pointless. Too many variables, driving style, suspension setup, type of commute power output etc. 

Just buy best ones you can with your budget.

Michelin do all season not just summer, no experiance:

https://m.michelin.co.uk/all-weather-tyre-range

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2018, 21:22:02 »

or
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Ah yes Pilot Sport 4! Do like those tyres, better than the later Dunlops we've used

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2018, 21:46:51 »

or
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

There is also the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s which is a replacement for the outgoing MPSS

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2018, 07:35:06 »

Or if you can, 1 set of nice summer tyres on refurbed wheels and 1 set of winter tyres on old slightly scabby ones.

Even though I live in the South of England,  where the house is makes it a very good idea to have plenty of grip up and down hills. Even with 2mm of snow, it's the ice from the frozen stream underneath that'll get you and the protruding rock is nicely placed to finish the car off.

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2018, 07:43:54 »

I thought tyre threads were banned on here ?  ;D ;D

If you drive in a spirited manner  like TB & one or two others on here  . . then you need something decent  . . . & I wholeheartedly agree . . .BUT

If you drive in a more sedate manner , like me  :-[    you could do a lot worse than Accellera's

The Alphas are getting harder to get now  but the newer P1's  are decent IMO Around £50 a corner fitted  . . .just my opinion mind  . . .others will probably slaughter them  ;D ;D ;D 

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2018, 09:44:17 »

Have you considered looking at a slightly different tyre size?

I'm not saying to do this, but it is something you may consider.

Type prices seem to be based on how popular that size is. As such going from 235 to 225 or 245 can actually make the tyres cheaper. The same is true of the profile rating change 45 to 40 or 50 and it may make branded tyres quite a bit cheaper.

A couple of points to be aware of when doing this:-
1. If you don't change all four at once and just do a pair, ABS & TC are going to get upset at you, also you must have the same size on the 'axle'.
2. This will change you speedo. You can punch your sizes into https://www.carbibles.com/calculators/ and it will tell you the 'corrected' value. Unless you jump the sizes massively, the difference will be minimal.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.