Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Updates  (Read 3658 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Updates
« on: 11 July 2019, 17:22:40 »

Whenever windows 10 do an update it comes on the screen not to turn off computer and then starts counting upwards as a % figure of completion.As soon as this reads 30% complete the computer automatically shuts down,then next time I turn it on it resumes the count until 100% is reached.Why doesn't it do it all in one go?

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2019, 17:26:43 »

probably gets bored?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2019, 17:31:24 »

That question is way beyond my abilities with IT Baza! ::) ::)

My Windows 10 PC does the same.  Had one this afternoon.

Over to TB or others on here 'in the know'! :D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2019, 17:33:28 »

Whenever windows 10 do an update it comes on the screen not to turn off computer and then starts counting upwards as a % figure of completion.As soon as this reads 30% complete the computer automatically shuts down,then next time I turn it on it resumes the count until 100% is reached.Why doesn't it do it all in one go?
I haven't had a windows pc for donks but, IIRC, it says something like 'Your computer may restart several times during the update'.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2019, 17:41:37 »

I haven't had a windows pc for donks but, IIRC, it says something like 'Your computer may restart several times during the update'.

That sometimes happens, but like today's update it went straight through to an automatic re-start.Must have something to do with the complexities of the update ;)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2019, 17:45:51 »

Anyone installed ver. 1903 yet?

I've heard it can disable Bluetooth on some devices :-\
I like red cars

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2019, 19:30:13 »

Switch Off Auto Updates, let all the other Mugs do a Live Final Test, then when sorted update your own.

For big Updates, I always download it as an Installer from MS directly and then do a Manual Update.

Never had any issues for years doing as above.  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2019, 19:34:27 »

Funny you should say that, as I blame my recent trouble with a Bluetooth dongle on Windows 10.  Online others mentioned that, and my PC just would not recognise the dongle, although in the recent past another dongle had worked fine, but then stopped after updates. ::) ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2019, 22:35:19 »

When it comes to the automatic updates I just let it get on with it,any technical type stuff that needs doing with the computer and I take it to my granddaughter to sort for me[I've just had to ask her by text message what the heck a dongle is!!]I was just curious as to why it would automatically turn off on reaching 30% and then wait until the next time I turned it on to complete the run up to 100% instead of doing it all in the one go.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2019, 22:55:39 »

When it comes to the automatic updates I just let it get on with it,any technical type stuff that needs doing with the computer and I take it to my granddaughter to sort for me[I've just had to ask her by text message what the heck a dongle is!!]I was just curious as to why it would automatically turn off on reaching 30% and then wait until the next time I turned it on to complete the run up to 100% instead of doing it all in the one go.

Very "broad brush" outline of what occurs... not actually 100% accurate but gives the main idea ....

Whilst the system is running there are a whole load of "active programs" al doing their thing, far more than you realise. "Active" programs cannot be modified whilst working (a bit like trying to change a tyre whilst doing 30mph), so the system "prepares" new files with the updated data embedded within and stores them on the hard drive, along with a load of special instructions for the machine to do next startup ...   thats the "30%" activity.

When you do the restart the special instructions file loads first and runs ... windows does not actually start .... and all the windows files that need updating are replaced with those prepared earlier, this taks a little while as here are a lot of them usually ... once all the files have been replaced it is possible for windows to actually start and run ... and the update is deemed complete.... thats the "70%" part ....

Throughout this process if you watch the hard drive activity light, the hard drive is working VERY hard as many files are rewritten/renamed/replaced ... that is why the system tells you not to switch it off .. if you do you will most certainly have corrupted files as so many are in the middle of being changed and you have just stopped them dead....  !!

Hope that helps a tad .. :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2019, 00:57:18 »

Switching from automatic to manual updates on previous versions of Windows used to just prompt you that updates were available. In Windows 10 it brings up a prompt box & timeout which restarts your PC anyway if you are not at the PC to stop it. >:( This is a really useful feature if you are doing any long tasks that you want to run overnight not, to find that they have been aborted. >:( >:( >:( The only solution for this seems to be turning off updates completely, whether this prompts like the old versions I don't know as I only found this out today where my main PC & laptop are both in manual update mode, but it restarted my main PC overnight, but I got the prompt box with the countdown on my laptop during the day & aborted the restart as it wasn't convenient at this time.

I have serous objections to not at all time being in control of my computer equipment & where Microsh*t have no awareness of realworld customer needs so they don't do the obvious, like not asking if it is convenient to do that 2 hour update on shutdown as you are turning off your laptop to catch a flight you are running late for before they start it automatically. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2019, 05:43:06 »

Funny you should say that, as I blame my recent trouble with a Bluetooth dongle on Windows 10.  Online others mentioned that, and my PC just would not recognise the dongle, although in the recent past another dongle had worked fine, but then stopped after updates. ::) ;)

What version of Windows are you running? It only applies to ver. 1903, anything before that should be fine.
I like red cars

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2019, 08:57:48 »

What version of Windows are you running? It only applies to ver. 1903, anything before that should be fine.

Don't ask me that AA!  :o :o  I have not a clue; I just let the updates happen as others have said as I have not got the technical expertise to do anything else. ;D ;D ;D ;)

As long as the PC works at the speed I expect and does everything I want that is good enough for me :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2019, 09:02:29 »

................................I have just amazed myself AA.

I have managed to find out that my system is running on Windows 10 Edition 1903!! 8) 8) ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2019, 11:25:32 »

................................I have just amazed myself AA.

I have managed to find out that my system is running on Windows 10 Edition 1903!! 8) 8) ;D

On older Bluetooth devices windows 1903 will disable it if it as not secure.
I like red cars
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.