Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Torrid Tyre Time plus tyre rotation  (Read 3351 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Torrid Tyre Time plus tyre rotation
« on: 14 September 2018, 23:10:32 »

The front tyres on our new but secondhand car  had five to ten k miles left on them. During the periodic service I asked them to put it upon a ramp. Had a good look around underneath and was pleased with how it looks BUT spotted a two inch crack on the inner edge of front tyre tread. Didnt like the look of it and went to Euromaster over the road. Only open for another hour and Iam an hour anda half from home. They agreed crack not good and caused by none rotation of tyres front to rear.  That is a new one on me . I have usually rotated tyres myself purely because all the cars Ihave had seem to wear front tyres more. Weight, steering, tracking, wishbones.

Anyway google results suggest rotating maybe every six thousand miles! Anyone on here do that? Anyone heard of tyres developing a rotational direction  crack from not  rotating wheels?

So I came away with two new Pirelli zero nero hero 2000 gti rs 94 tyres for 200 euros. Quite happy as should last me 50 k miles. WRONG. Punctured sidewall today on a rock. Thank god  for compulsary recovery (no spare wheel and the glue kit would have hada job with a hole a golf ball would pass through)  Third time in three months. Firstwas alternator failure on othercar, then battery failed (warranty thank god) . Driver has become a good friend!

So another 100 euros gone.
Might get a spacesaver spare wheel and kit off ebay.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Torrid Tyre Time plus tyre rotation
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2018, 23:32:03 »

The idea of no spare and a bottle of gunge is a total cr@p idea. Not had much luck car wise lately senor. :-*

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2018, 12:14:30 »

First thing I do when I change my car is to buy a space saver.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2018, 12:24:12 »

Well you and I are old enough to remember the days when 'the spare tyre' was not classed as an optional extra. :-\

Ah..well. I suppose being stuck on the hard should of the M6 with the rain pissing down and a can of f*ucking useless foam is progress.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2018, 12:30:02 »

Commiserations Senor!  :(

It's a complete pisser wrecking a good tyre like that.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2018, 13:02:28 »

Good nights sleep and I am over the tyre.

What do folk with newer cars do regarding rotating tyres? Does none rotation really cause cracks along direction of ture rotation?!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2018, 13:06:58 »

Good nights sleep and I am over the tyre.

What do folk with newer cars do regarding rotating tyres? Does none rotation really cause cracks along direction of ture rotation?!
Tyre rotation? No.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2018, 13:25:28 »

A lot of people used to swap tyres front to rear as a matter of course to even out tyre wear and eke out a few more miles from them,don't think many bother these days though and on some cars[such as TBs or Optis Jags?]you can't do that anyway as the rears are different sizes to the fronts.Never heard of or personally had a problem with tyres due to not swapping them around,but perhaps it's possible.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2018, 13:38:18 »

A lot of people used to swap tyres front to rear as a matter of course to even out tyre wear and eke out a few more miles from them,don't think many bother these days though and on some cars[such as TBs or Optis Jags?]you can't do that anyway as the rears are different sizes to the fronts.Never heard of or personally had a problem with tyres due to not swapping them around,but perhaps it's possible.

Yes.....rears are 30MM wider at 285MM

I'm pretty sure the space saver spare is only good for a rear wheel puncture because of the size of the front brakes.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2018, 19:05:47 »

I haven't rotated tyres for some years, but found this interesting: https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-rotation

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2018, 19:48:06 »

The idea is to wear them out within 4.5yrs, before they hit their 5yr life.

On a FWD car, this may mean swapping fronts to back....   ….but then all OOFers are clever enough to put the better (newer) tyres on the rear anyway  (where possible, which isn't for those stupid cars with different sizes at the back).
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2018, 20:08:18 »

First thing I did when I bought the wife a BINI was buy a full size spare. Fills the boot lovely, much to her disgust. Daughter now has the BINI and takes the wheel out unless she's going more than 40 miles (RAC would bring her home if a tyre was knackered. ?) 

First thing I did when I bought the wife a JUKE was buy a full size spare. There's a false boot floor, with a massive plastic tray. That's gone and the spare has plenty of room.

When I had the Cavalier I had 2 spares in the boot. Just because.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2018, 10:27:49 »

If you're talking about the direction of rotation (ie swapping one side to toher) that's a no-no because a lot of tyres are directional and, if not, if the rotation direction has caused the tread to feather in one direction, it would probably cause "unpredictable results"tm if you suddenly swapped it to the other way.

As to rotating front to back, it can even out wear but as to whether it's worth it, I'm not sure. I usually make sure new tyres go on the front of my Omega because new tyres tramline less.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2018, 11:56:09 »

If replacing tyres in pairs on a 2wd car the newer and therefore grippier tyres should always go on the undriven axle so that the drive wheels cannot overpower the undriven ones.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2018, 12:33:55 »

If you're talking about the direction of rotation (ie swapping one side to toher) that's a no-no because a lot of tyres are directional and, if not, if the rotation direction has caused the tread to feather in one direction, it would probably cause "unpredictable results"tm if you suddenly swapped it to the other way.

As to rotating front to back, it can even out wear but as to whether it's worth it, I'm not sure. I usually make sure new tyres go on the front of my Omega because new tyres tramline less.

The Blackcircles advice was quite clear on this, on FWD, tyres go from rears to front opposite side UNLESS directional. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.