Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Access to Wishbone bolt drivers side.  (Read 2702 times)

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Wishbone bolt drivers side.
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2019, 21:25:38 »

Thanks for that. I take it that the pinch bolt is a Vauxhall Dealer only. Did a search online but couldn't find any.Looked at new ball joints and the majority don't come with the bolt? Found that lemforder supply a M12 bolt, so I assume that is the pinchbolt? Could I just buy two M12 part threaded high tensile 8.8 bolts with lock nuts, if so how long is the bolt?

Thanks again
Addy
I used all the bolts again they were all pretty good anyway and I had given them a good soaking of paraffin for a day or two. Sadly it has not solved my issue with the wandering Omega.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2019, 14:38:24 »

Thanks for that. I take it that the pinch bolt is a Vauxhall Dealer only. Did a search online but couldn't find any.Looked at new ball joints and the majority don't come with the bolt? Found that lemforder supply a M12 bolt, so I assume that is the pinchbolt? Could I just buy two M12 part threaded high tensile 8.8 bolts with lock nuts, if so how long is the bolt?

Thanks again
Addy

the wishbone pinch bolt engages in a groove on the balljoint pin. That is true of most of this design, and fitting a standard bolt doesn't do it. Which often results in the weight of the car pushing the joint apart. The bolt will be a Vx only part, so it needs a critical inspection before you reuse it. On older Fords, I always bought a new pinch bolt with the wishbone as a matter of course; Omega ones don't seem to be as prone to damage

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2019, 15:02:25 »

Thanks again
Addy
It is an important part so I would replace with new if in any doubt but if it has no wear, meaning bolt is same diameter all the way along then it should be ok to use it does stop the ball joint from popping out so not any fun for anyone if that happens  :-\

the wishbone pinch bolt engages in a groove on the balljoint pin. That is true of most of this design, and fitting a standard bolt doesn't do it. Which often results in the weight of the car pushing the joint apart. The bolt will be a Vx only part, so it needs a critical inspection before you reuse it. On older Fords, I always bought a new pinch bolt with the wishbone as a matter of course; Omega ones don't seem to be as prone to damage

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2019, 15:07:32 »

Thanks again
Addy
It is an important part so I would replace with new if in any doubt but if it has no wear, meaning bolt is same diameter all the way along then it should be ok to use it does stop the ball joint from popping out so not any fun for anyone if that happens  :-\

They aren't a plain bolt. The shoulder is a good mm+ thicker than the threaded part. This is why using a standard bolt is such a bad idea... The threads will crush down over time, reducing the diameter much increasing the chance of the pin pulling out under duress.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.