Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sutton bank  (Read 3405 times)

STEMO

Sutton bank
« on: 07 May 2018, 17:29:28 »

Been up to North Yorkshire for a run out today, which involved going up Sutton Bank. For anyone that doesn't know, it's about a mile of very twisty road with a 25% incline. We notice a few signs with 'Sutton Bank is not for turning' on and a web address. Wifey checked it out and it appears the locals want HGV's banned from it because.........when one gets stuck going up, it has to be reversed 2.5 miles back down to the nearest point it can turn around. That means backing, or getting to the side, 2.5 miles worth of traffic behind it. How long must that take?  :o
Caravans are banned (just from Sutton Bank, unfortunately, not the rest of the country, so why the fick are HGV's allowed.
According to the warning signs below, 74 got stuck last year.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton bank
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2018, 18:17:57 »

Caravans are banned (just from Sutton Bank, ..... (edited for personal attack on caravaners  ::)), so why the fick are HGV's allowed.

Exactly.
Caravans are banned, but the glider club at the top of the hill all tow their gliders up & down. And have you seen the diversion for caravans? It's the most torturous, narrow B road you could think of

I reckon I could still beat you from the lights towing vs you in your green Astra  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2018, 19:08:50 »

Caravans are banned (just from Sutton Bank, ..... (edited for personal attack on caravaners  ::)), so why the fick are HGV's allowed.

Exactly.
Caravans are banned, but the glider club at the top of the hill all tow their gliders up & down. And have you seen the diversion for caravans? It's the most torturous, narrow B road you could think of

I reckon I could still beat you from the lights towing vs you in your green Astra  ::)
My astra is blue, with a 163 bhp, 2 litre engine. I doubt you'd outdrag me in your mobile home towing a mobile home.  ;D
« Last Edit: 07 May 2018, 19:10:41 by STEMO »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2018, 20:15:33 »

I have many stories about Sutton Bank.

Once following the RAC rally around the country , in the days when it did the Uk, we were the last vehicle up before the road was closed for deep snow. Vehicle was a DAF 44 .

Went up there recently with my dad in a hire car. Got a clear run and had to brake for the top corner. Not often you get a clear run, it is usually clogged up with people from West Yorkshire crawling up in first gear with the wife asking "do you think we will make it darling".
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2018, 22:18:26 »

Exactly.

My astra is blue, with a 163 bhp, 2 litre engine. I doubt you'd outdrag me in your mobile home towing a mobile home.  ;D

Blue?  ::) you sure?  ::)  I'd give you a good run for your money  :y

I thought engines were all 3 litres & above   ::)  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2018, 22:21:03 »

I have many stories about Sutton Bank.

Once following the RAC rally around the country , in the days when it did the Uk, we were the last vehicle up before the road was closed for deep snow. Vehicle was a DAF 44 .

Went up there recently with my dad in a hire car. Got a clear run and had to brake for the top corner. Not often you get a clear run, it is usually clogged up with people from West Yorkshire crawling up in first gear with the wife asking "do you think we will make it darling".

I drove up there the other year ..... no idea what gear I was in .... but D was the chosen gear  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2018, 08:17:55 »

Been up and down there many a time, going up loaded gets interesting, get in the right gear and let it power up, worse part is the bend at the top,  the approved caravan route is even more fun.

It's easier to avoid it, less hassle,
« Last Edit: 08 May 2018, 08:20:10 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2018, 09:53:26 »

I really must go there some time. With glider trailer, naturally. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2018, 18:54:32 »

you have never experienced fear until you meet a sadistic driving instructor in the army for your class 3 licence, sutton bank in a underpowered underbraked behemoth of a bedford RL is the scariest drive i ever had! it manned me up though, and I passsed me test in spite of the terror,  this was in 1974! dunno when they stoped rucks going up there, but i have aways avoided it in a class 1 vehicle!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2018, 19:29:46 »

you have never experienced fear until you meet a sadistic driving instructor in the army for your class 3 licence, sutton bank in a underpowered underbraked behemoth of a bedford RL is the scariest drive i ever had! it manned me up though, and I passsed me test in spite of the terror,  this was in 1974! dunno when they stoped rucks going up there, but i have aways avoided it in a class 1 vehicle!!

They haven't  ;) Just caravans  >:(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2018, 19:37:30 »

Hardknott pass is better. Sutton bank is no more than a girlie slope. :)

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2018, 19:38:17 »

They haven't  ;) Just caravans  >:(
I reckon it's more for coming down than going up.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2018, 19:39:59 »

Hardnott pass is better.  ....

and Wrynose  :y  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 10:37:14 »

Hardnott pass is better.  ....

and Wrynose  :y  :y

Enjoyed both in the old MX5 but not sure I've taken the roller skate over those yet. Hmmm. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2018, 18:44:04 »

Hardknott pass is better. Sutton bank is no more than a girlie slope. :)
Which is still pretty tame.  The biggest issue there is the width, and the amount of bloody tourists.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.