Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting programme  (Read 3193 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Interesting programme
« on: 11 August 2019, 08:28:09 »

On Channel5 last night the first of a series of four programmes titled WW2 The True Cost Of War.It dealt with the many aspects leading up to WW2-from the treaty of Versailles onwards,the political machinations of the time including the spurious excuses used by Japan for their invasion of Manchuria and later of China[with Chang Kai Sheks decision to use the Yellow River to flood a huge area of China to stop the Japanese advances and killing hundreds of thousands of Chinese  people in the process.The forming of alliances -both political as well as military-and how the various countries were or were not prepared for war.In as much as a Tv programme can cover such events I thought it a very well done and presented programme,looking forward to the rest of the series.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting programme
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2019, 11:13:32 »

Thanks for the heads up!

There has been a rash of “memes” about the start of the war being posted around. A brilliant one of hitler on a computer game “ Mein Kraft” ?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2019, 19:20:33 »

I have now watched two episodes of this series, WWII In Numbers, and it is very good.

It recycles many of the already published facts, but presents them in a new, very striking, way that certainly brings the mind boggling facts to life! 8) 8)

This series should also be viewed coupled with the facts given in the Yesterday Channels War Factories available on UKTV catch up.  The figures given in that series of programmes tie in very nicely with those in the WWII In Numbers Baza 8) 8) :y
« Last Edit: 17 August 2019, 19:23:11 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2019, 19:31:54 »

They probably got the "facts" off the same GOOGLE search Lizzie  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2019, 20:36:12 »

They probably got the "facts" off the same GOOGLE search Lizzie  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though some very respected, well known highly qualified historians are involved in these programmes, unlike with some :D ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 23:57:36 »

Good find Baza. Thanks, found tonights very interesting.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2019, 15:25:46 »

It has never failed to amaze me how British industry, after a very low start, was kicked into a massive output of the weapons needed to fight WW2 after Dunkirk.

Under Lord Beaverbrook the production of especially the Spitfire, then other aircraft, zoomed to not only replace all the aircraft lost during The Battle of Britain, but then gave the RAF everything they materially needed, although at first a shortage of pilots to fly them was THE major issue.

The Nazis had been out producing everyone in not just planes, but tanks and guns as well.  However, with the efforts of hundreds of British factories, and especially at the new, purpose built aircraft plant of Castle Bromwich, run by Vickers-Armstrong, the production lines quickly out produced those of Germany. Planes, tanks, guns, lorries all rolled off en mass of British production lines.

In fact the Luftwaffe never recovered from the losses of fighters and bombers, along with experienced pilots, sustained during The B of B, plus also transport aircraft (especially the J52's with experienced pilots) over Crete, which greatly weakened the Sixth Army's efforts during the latter half of the Russian, BARBAROSSA  campaign.  The German plants produced less and less, weakened by experienced engineers being called up to fight in the Soviet Union, Allied bombing, and a lack of materials, like metal, coal to produce that metal, and oil.  Money also ran out for the Nazis.

So "The Numbers" certainly gave the British the time to stave off the Nazis, then along came America to give a completely new boost to production figures.  The huge numbers defeated the Nazis. It is just a shame to think that today the British industries could never respond so gallantly to the threat of an immediate major war, if they were even given the time to do so! :'( :'( :(
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 15:31:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2019, 15:37:25 »

Pity that can do mindset doesn't apply to most of todays snowflake doomsayers. What will they do if they can't get avocados till Friday or no paracetamol till Wednesday.

Still we are saddled with what we have got.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2019, 15:46:47 »

Pity that can do mindset doesn't apply to most of todays snowflake doomsayers. What will they do if they can't get avocados till Friday or no paracetamol till Wednesday.

Perhaps a British "War Spirit" will return, and our ingenuity and product development (another thing the German's let themselves down on) will show Johnny Foreigner exactly what we are still made of and can do! ::) ::) :D :D :D ;)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2019, 17:44:02 »

No avocados ! you've got to be f*****g kidding me , what a nightmare  ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2019, 21:16:53 »

Germany produced some excellent tanks Panther,Tiger,Royal Tiger which when armed with the famed and feared "88" were a force to be reckoned with.However they were hugely over engineered and complicated and therefore slow to produce,where the allies had the much faster to produce Sherman[aka Ronson] or more especially the Russian T-34.When the aircraft industry came up with an aircraft that could[given sufficient numbers]have been a game changer Hitler in his meddling fashion declared the Me 262 to be a bomber!!! But even so that was in all probability too late to avoid the inevitable defeat.I'm just glad they came up short in the race for nukes because Hitler would have had absolutely no qualms about using them anywhere.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2019, 15:03:35 »

Germany produced some excellent tanks Panther,Tiger,Royal Tiger which when armed with the famed and feared "88" were a force to be reckoned with.However they were hugely over engineered and complicated and therefore slow to produce,where the allies had the much faster to produce Sherman[aka Ronson] or more especially the Russian T-34.When the aircraft industry came up with an aircraft that could[given sufficient numbers]have been a game changer Hitler in his meddling fashion declared the Me 262 to be a bomber!!! But even so that was in all probability too late to avoid the inevitable defeat.I'm just glad they came up short in the race for nukes because Hitler would have had absolutely no qualms about using them anywhere.

Yes, you are right Baza.  If Hitler had not interfered and demanded to be involved in every decision about introducing and developing new military equipment the German's could have done even greater damage to the Allies with especially their tanks.  But, as you say, they were often too complicated, over engineered and lacked the standardisation of parts that the Allied tanks (and much more) benefited from.  New models were thrown into battle without bring thoroughly tested. The Tiger II, or "King Tiger", was a prime example. It was far superior in fire power and armour than any other tank, but it suffered problems with mobility, speed, and even reliability.  It could have destroyed any Allied tank it came across, but the political system it was born into stopped that from happening.  In addition, the lack of steel, ammunition, and skilled men to build them, let alone a lack of fuel to power any of the tanks after 1943, led to the main element of the German Army firepower being deficient.

However, the German tanks needed brave soldiers to crew them.  They made all the difference, even when the odds numerically were stacked against them as they were for the last two years of the war at least.  In their ranks is one true German warrior that I always mention to demonstrate how dedicated and committed many Nazi army commanders were in their fight for the Third Reich.  That man is Michael Wittmann.

He was a member of the elite Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler division, and became their leading Waffen-SS tank commander.  I do not usually want to praise any member of the SS, but in Wittmann I make an exception as it has never been proved that he was involved in the usual atrocities associated with that element of the Nazis.  He was a true soldier fighting bravely, with distinction, against opposing soldiers, and should be seen in the context of that. If Nazi Germany had more of his like, the end of WW2 could have been very different! Men and women win or lose wars, not just superior weaponry.  But of course the German's also had Hitler to contend with.........!!! ::) ::) ::)

I will not fill up pages describing his achievements that are widely 'admired' amoungst many historians, and rated by them as a fascinating figure of history, so I refer you to these links that cover his career and battle honours:

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/battle-of-normandy/biographies/germany/michael-wittmann

These detail his battle achievements / battle honours:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/articles/4979/Wittmann-Michael.htm

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/michael-wittmann-the-german-panzer.html

Also see:

http://www.panzerace.net/biography/career-timeline.html

:y
« Last Edit: 19 August 2019, 15:14:34 by Lizzie Zoom »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2019, 20:41:50 »

I seem to recall seeing a programme centred around him some time ago,although I can't now recall what it was titled or on what channel but I'm sure they used computer imagery to show his battle tactics etc.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2019, 21:27:15 »

Plus of course the Germans developed,built and deployed both a rudimentary cruise missile[V1]along with a ballistic missile[V2] and were working towards the intercontinental ballistic missile with sufficient range to reach the continental United States.Facilities being bombed/overrun and wars end preventing the latter which was probably just as well otherwise the clamour from the American population to withdraw troops/aircraft back to homeland defence would have been enormous.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2019, 21:31:27 »

I seem to recall seeing a programme centred around him some time ago,although I can't now recall what it was titled or on what channel but I'm sure they used computer imagery to show his battle tactics etc.

There certainly was a programme about the lead up to his demise a year or two back, and the question who or what finally destroyed his tank, him and his crew in Normandy.  One theory was that a Canadian Sherman tank of the Sherbrooke Regiment, in a group of 6, fitted with the high powered 75mm cannon, destroyed the Tiger.  Another theory is that Wittmann's tank blew up after an internal explosion. This is supported by the claim that witnesses found Wittmann's destroyed tank with the turret blown clean off, along with the crew's bodies jettisoned clean out landing far away from the Tiger, with no evidence of the tank's hull being penatrated by any shells.

However, it is yet another historic event that will always be debated in academic circles with many theories suggested, and the real truth now only known to God! ::) :D ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.