Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leather cover replacement  (Read 1891 times)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
Leather cover replacement
« on: 09 August 2006, 18:39:06 »

I need to fit a replacement leather cover to my front drivers seat. Heater not working.  >:(

I've got a brand new one, wires connectors and all ready for fitting.

Do i have to remove the seat for replacing, or can i do it while still fitted to the car. I assume the seat would have to be in the raised position for access underneath. It also looks like the memory seat buttons need to come off.

Has anyone already done this, and if so, what's the best way to proceed?

Would the battery also need to be disconnected to avoid upsetting the SRS?
« Last Edit: 09 August 2006, 18:39:37 by Kev »
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Leather cover replacement
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2006, 19:08:07 »

If it was me I would do the seat out of the car, you possibly could do it with seat in place but that would be the way would do it as you ideally would need the seat back back and I think you can detach the buttons aswell.

You will also have better access to the base as I think the cover is held on by hooks or something similar.

I would also disconnect the battery and make sure the tab to the pretensioner is in for extra safety.

Just out of curiosity where did you manage to get a replacement cover from.

Hope you dont mind me asking.

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2006, 19:16:58 »

If it was me I would do the seat out of the car, you possibly could do it with seat in place but that would be the way would do it as you ideally would need the seat back back and I think you can detach the buttons aswell.

You will also have better access to the base as I think the cover is held on by hooks or something similar.

I would also disconnect the battery and make sure the tab to the pretensioner is in for extra safety.

You lost me a bit with the tab and pretensioner, is there something i should fit to stop it firing?

I got the new cover from ebay at the turn of the year. Brand new, an absolute bargain!  :)

Typical it's taken me till now to fit it though!

As long as it's done before the cold weather sets in. And that's next week. I'm up in Scotland.  ;D
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2006, 19:33:24 »

You lost me a bit with the tab and pretensioner, is there something i should fit to stop it firing?

I got the new cover from ebay at the turn of the year. Brand new, an absolute bargain!  :)

Typical it's taken me till now to fit it though!

As long as it's done before the cold weather sets in. And that's next week. I'm up in Scotland.  ;D

Hi There

When I mentioned the pre-tensioner I should have mentioned when you remove the plastic cover that goes down the side of the seat where the VIN is there should be a plastic key/clip jobby that pushes into the pre tensioner so if you do move the seat it doesn't fire or if it does will stop you losing your head in the process. Also underneath the cover you will also find the electric connector for the heated seat.

Which ever way you go having just fitted leather best to disconnect battery to prevent the airbag light coming on aswell.

My seat are still being tested as I have my doubts but it could just be me.

HTH

Roy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2006, 20:29:01 »

Disconnect battery to prevent SRS logging errors. Some seats have mechanical pretensioners, later ones are pirotechnic. I'm not sure if the laters ones have the tabs.
Grumpy old man

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2006, 21:17:52 »

I've got loads of yellow shrouded cables under there so i don't think the pretensioners are mechanical.

It's a facelift i've got.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2006, 21:18:34 by Kev »

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2006, 21:19:01 »

Oh, and thanks for the help.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2006, 00:23:46 »

I got quite far into taking my leather off to investigate my non functioning driver's seat heating.

You'll definately want to take the seat out and be able to flip it around.  Disable the SRS system (disconnect battery and leave a good few minutes) then pop it out - but undo the four seat bolts whilst you still have power or you'll have to wind the seats back and forwards manually to access the bolts - not fun.

I only tried getting my seat squab cover off - bit of a fidly job as you have to peel it up and cut metal rings that hold the cover onto metal bars in the foam.  You need some strong side cutters for this.  I gave up fixing my seat at this point when i realised there is no removable pad.  I was gonna replace the cut metal rings with little cable ties as god knows how you'd get new metal rings in.  In the end I didn't bother.  They only keep the form of the crease lines that 'divide' the cushions into sections.  Plus I hadn't removed many and you can't really tell they are not there now.  Since you will have to cut them all off to get the cover off you will probably want to come up with a scheme to replace them on reassembly or your seat covers might float around a little.

The backrest looked like more of a pain in the arse what with the airbag cover, lumbar support dial and map pocket to contend with, but i'm sure it's do-able.  In fact if Vx can do it you surely can.

Best of luck!  God knows how you found the replacement cover - i wonder what the chances of me finding one in cream are??  Hmmmm...

Liam

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2006, 07:26:27 »

If you can get a heated mat for a non leather seat, why not just slip this under the original seat cover? Or am I missing something. The heating elements in my MkII Carlton (C reg) were fitted that way.
The metal rings that hold the seat covers down can just be twisted open to allow removal, that way you can re-use them when you're putting it back together. The back of the (preface lift) seat just has 2 screws at the bottom corners and then you slide it downwards to remove it, air bag and lumbar stays put.
(my heated seat still works after repair too  :) )

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2006, 07:56:56 »

If you can get a heated mat for a non leather seat, why not just slip this under the original seat cover? Or am I missing something. The heating elements in my MkII Carlton (C reg) were fitted that way.
The metal rings that hold the seat covers down can just be twisted open to allow removal, that way you can re-use them when you're putting it back together. The back of the (preface lift) seat just has 2 screws at the bottom corners and then you slide it downwards to remove it, air bag and lumbar stays put.
(my heated seat still works after repair too  :) )

I have to admit I have been thinking about taking my old driver seat heated plate out and trying to put it under my driver seat cover question is will it work or will I just be recking a good seat(s) only plan is to keep and swap back in the future if I ever sell it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.