Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: age of tyres  (Read 2898 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: age of tyres
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2014, 17:28:59 »

Popped into a SEAT dealer the other day to get some new bolts in case I rounded the head off the ones when I replaced the shocks, they had the spare wheel cage, mounting kit, jack and wheel and tyre 'special offer £299 + fitting' on display in the showroom.

I bet the vehicle wasn't reduced by the same price when they stopped fitting something that's been standard equipment since the invention of the car!

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2014, 17:29:08 »

I think my skinny spares have been on the cars from new. :-X :-X :-X

Complete with 80kph speed limit sticker?

They are effectively a space saver. Never going to be capable of delivering the same level of performance or safety.

Re the original question, I suppose it depends on how you view on your tyres.

If you reguard them as merely a means of keeping the rim off the floor/an inconvenient periodic expense, then almost anything will do with a legal tread, Including the spare.

However, if you intend to "rely" on using the maximum safety or performance level at any point, either in emergency situations and or a spirited drive, then it really isn't worth the risk.

Only you can answer. What do you expect from your tyres? 
« Last Edit: 19 November 2014, 17:30:44 by chrisgixer »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2014, 17:37:52 »

Popped into a SEAT dealer the other day to get some new bolts in case I rounded the head off the ones when I replaced the shocks, they had the spare wheel cage, mounting kit, jack and wheel and tyre 'special offer £299 + fitting' on display in the showroom.

I bet the vehicle wasn't reduced by the same price when they stopped fitting something that's been standard equipment since the invention of the car!

I see that my VW touareg does have a spare wheel,albeit flat and with a compressor to pump it up before use as it won't fit in the boot inflated,christ knows where the punctured tyre/wheel is meant to go when there is a boot full of luggage as its 20 inch diameter and ain't fitting in the wheel well :-X :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2014, 17:51:18 »

In the case of the Omega, the spare is a size which was standard factory fit as road wheels on earlier lower spec models :y

What makes them unsuitable for higher speeds isn't a tyre issue, it's the fact that that 'spare' tyre is a completely different size to the other three tyres, both in width and sidewall, so less lateral grip (narrower tread and alot more give in the sidewalls) than even a 225/55/16 shod car...

In the scheme of things, the Omega fares quite well in this regard, some space savers wouldn't look out of place on a 2cv :o

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2014, 18:25:09 »

Good job I've changed the tyres on my trailer recently. The old tyres bore the following words on the sidewall: "The India rubber company. Empire made.". ;D

The tyres on my push bike were made by the John Bull Rubber Company, tyres still going strong after 50 years :y
I like red cars

chrisgixer

« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2014, 18:34:23 »

Good job I've changed the tyres on my trailer recently. The old tyres bore the following words on the sidewall: "The India rubber company. Empire made.". ;D

The tyres on my push bike were made by the John Bull Rubber Company, tyres still going strong after 50 years :y
AA, you haven't RIDDEN that push bike in 50 years.  ;D ...going strong indeed ::) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2014, 18:54:15 »

In the case of the Omega, the spare is a size which was standard factory fit as road wheels on earlier lower spec models :y

What makes them unsuitable for higher speeds isn't a tyre issue, it's the fact that that 'spare' tyre is a completely different size to the other three tyres, both in width and sidewall, so less lateral grip (narrower tread and alot more give in the sidewalls) than even a 225/55/16 shod car...

In the scheme of things, the Omega fares quite well in this regard, some space savers wouldn't look out of place on a 2cv :o
Added to the fact some are T rated, even the best are H rated
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2014, 18:56:22 »

I have to say I favour a used Continental/Dunlop/etc over a brand new no-name tyre any day.
Depends on the tyre. For example, I'd never, ever fit a Continental SC5 on an Omega (again  :-[). I'd rather have a ditch finder. At least I'd be richer when it kills me.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2014, 19:33:38 »

Note to self :. Check spare wheel in boot of my Omega which is ORIGINAL one, unused, and 14 years old now !

I do check pressure when I remember !

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2014, 23:16:38 »

I have two brand spanking new (15yr old (ish)) spare wheels from Omega's in the Garage... never seen tarmac (apart from rolling them in the garage).  I'd much rather rely on one of those than a space saver for the 10 mile journey to a tyre shop!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2014, 09:15:52 »

.....  I'd much rather rely on one of those than a space saver for the 10 mile journey to a tyre shop!

It could be said that an Omega's spare is a space saver ...... certainly not the same size of the road wheels (in most cases)  ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2014, 12:01:07 »

I think my skinny spares have been on the cars from new. :-X :-X :-X

Complete with 80kph speed limit sticker?

They are effectively a space saver. Never going to be capable of delivering the same level of performance or safety.

Re the original question, I suppose it depends on how you view on your tyres.

If you reguard them as merely a means of keeping the rim off the floor/an inconvenient periodic expense, then almost anything will do with a legal tread, Including the spare.

However, if you intend to "rely" on using the maximum safety or performance level at any point, either in emergency situations and or a spirited drive, then it really isn't worth the risk.

Only you can answer. What do you expect from your tyres?

These are the standard Omega spares, so only slightly smaller IIRC.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2014, 12:24:42 »

I'd imagine a 195 on a 15 isn't so bad, to be honest, in terms of grip etc.. Most early Omegas ran on that size (hence that's what the wheel well was designed for) Didn't most Carltons run on wheels even a fair few mm thinner? I'd chance my arm a bit and say the increase in wheel size on later Omegas was frankly more of a marketing thing, rather than any real-terms performance increase. Reminding me of a thread a few days ago about how more fuel = more power simply isn't the case, as such. Again, a wider tyre does not necessarily mean more grip - you're reducing the weight per square inch, don't forget.

Always wanted to get something like a Morris Minor and fit it with modern low profile 235 or something, and, conversely, fit the super-skinny tyres of the Morris on a modern car (or equivalent weight, of course) then do cornering tests, to see just how much grip is down to the tyre width etc..

Slightly digressing, but I'd have no issue with running on 195s on an Omega, personally.

PS I hate runflats with a passion!!!  :y

There's some scientists getting very foamy at the mouth here debating the issue:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wider-tire-giving-better-traction-debate.330790/
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2014, 12:46:26 »

The anaemic 2.0/2.2 Omega can  probably be run on skinny tyres because unlike myself they are under-endowed.... :D ;D ;D

A 'proper' Omega comes with a V6. ;)

....and as for derv drinkers. :-\ ;D ;D......This devil juice is fit only for buses and lorries. ::) ::) :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: 20 November 2014, 12:49:30 by Doctor Opti »

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 20 November 2014, 13:13:04 »

I'd imagine a 195 on a 15 isn't so bad, to be honest, in terms of grip etc.. Most early Omegas ran on that size (hence that's what the wheel well was designed for) Didn't most Carltons run on wheels even a fair few mm thinner? I'd chance my arm a bit and say the increase in wheel size on later Omegas was frankly more of a marketing thing, rather than any real-terms performance increase. Reminding me of a thread a few days ago about how more fuel = more power simply isn't the case, as such. Again, a wider tyre does not necessarily mean more grip - you're reducing the weight per square inch, don't forget.

Always wanted to get something like a Morris Minor and fit it with modern low profile 235 or something, and, conversely, fit the super-skinny tyres of the Morris on a modern car (or equivalent weight, of course) then do cornering tests, to see just how much grip is down to the tyre width etc..

Slightly digressing, but I'd have no issue with running on 195s on an Omega, personally.

PS I hate runflats with a passion!!!  :y

There's some scientists getting very foamy at the mouth here debating the issue:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wider-tire-giving-better-traction-debate.330790/
Hell of an echo in here... ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.