Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra G question  (Read 4654 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Astra G question
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2014, 19:29:11 »

Just don't get one with an autobox.

I did (as I have to drive auto) and even with a 1.6 emgine the acceleration was, well, really shite! Scarily shite in fact.

Depends which 1.6 as the 1.6 16V actually suits an auto well and accelerates well to, the 8V would be a different matter  ;D

It's a shame they didn't do the C20NE in the Astra G.  115BHP and 8v reliability was awesome in the Cavalier days.  Emissions controls I suppose?
Didn't that end up in the Astra-E, tuned to 130bhp in GTE form?
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2014, 19:41:59 »

I did (as I have to drive auto) and even with a 1.6 emgine the acceleration was, well, really shite! Scarily shite in fact.

Depends which 1.6 as the 1.6 16V actually suits an auto well and accelerates well to, the 8V would be a different matter  ;D

It's a shame they didn't do the C20NE in the Astra G.  115BHP and 8v reliability was awesome in the Cavalier days.  Emissions controls I suppose?

I thought the 130BHP 2ltr engines were 16v..... but I'm not too hot on those engines.

I know the C20NE was in the GTE, but AFAIK, they were 115BHP also.  :-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2014, 20:24:00 »

I thought the 130BHP 2ltr engines were 16v..... but I'm not too hot on those engines.

The 16v Redtops were 150-160bhp in the GTE's, depending on age. The 8v 2.0l was 130bhp.

:y
Grumpy old man

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2014, 20:58:19 »

i had  a 2003    1800cc automatic 5 door hatch....i.m.o.   the best mk 4 they did,,,economical,,,fast enough,,,reliable and far far better than the 1400 cc and the 1600 cc..which had no guts at all.....insurance was good on it too.....I have owned the 1400 cc and the 1600 cc   but by far the 1800 ran rings around them....They sometimes have a problem (auto or manual ) with the accelerator e.c.u. but this can be over come by simply soldering two wires together (dont know which ones though )The only reason I sold it was because I was born with a dodgy  back and found that the seats were not good for it so I went back to the old faithfull omega,far more comfortable,as i say it is only my opinion. :y :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2014, 22:11:27 »

The 16v Redtops were 150-160bhp in the GTE's, depending on age. The 8v 2.0l was 130bhp.

I remember that the mk3 cavalier Sri was 130bhp in 8 valve form :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2014, 22:28:23 »

Working from my piss poor memory, I think that was the SEH, which was not particularly reliable.... possibly used in the GTE as well???
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 November 2014, 23:57:03 »

Working from my piss poor memory, I think that was the SEH, which was not particularly reliable.... possibly used in the GTE as well???

I stuck 160k miles on one with only normal servicing and repairs,never missed a beat and quick in its day.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2014, 08:57:01 »

Oh, ok fair enough then. Mine was a 2000 W reg. ''LS''. 15.5 secs for 0-60 time. At the time I couldn't understand why my mate in a Citreon AX was caining me when we raced on our private track :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2014, 13:42:28 »

Oh, ok fair enough then. Mine was a 2000 W reg. ''LS''. 15.5 secs for 0-60 time. At the time I couldn't understand why my mate in a Citreon AX was caining me when we raced on our private track :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Bet it was his big bore exhaust  ::) ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2014, 13:48:50 »

Don't knock the AX... even the1.5 non turbo diesel will keep a 2.3 Granada honest...  :-[

They're bastid quick because they weigh less than a fart in a vacuum :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2014, 13:56:36 »

Don't knock the AX... even the1.5 non turbo diesel will keep a 2.3 Granada honest...  :-[

They're bastid quick because they weigh less than a fart in a vacuum are made out of flimsy bits of spam can and plastic milk bottle :y

Fixed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2014, 14:21:04 »

I wasn't knocking it...actually thought it was really nippy and fun to be in.

But when I didn't know anything about cars I just assumed a 1.6 should be able to beat it easily....yet it was t'other way round  :-[ :-[ :-[

I do remember my mate catching his handbrake cable on those sticky-up type ''flaps'' to stop you speeding at a local fishing lake.  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2014, 15:41:08 »

They're bastid quick because they weigh less than a fart in a vacuum :y
My mum, then my little bro had an AX-GT Sportif, went like a scalded cat (a match for my Astra GTE up to around motorway speeds), and clung to the road like glue.

Trouble is, in a strong wind, it would blow away.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.