Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding Blog  (Read 23033 times)

omega3000

Re: Welding Blog
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2014, 15:38:39 »

Our house lights are flickering , is that you starting to weld mr bear  ::) ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2014, 16:06:01 »

;D ;D ;D

Cheers for the encouragement boys.

Sadly, my mate popped round and wanted some car stuff doing. So instead of playin' with me welder I now have no time to set it up and practise before pickin' the wife up  ::)

First thing tomorrow though............

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2014, 16:23:48 »

Next you need to buy a TIG welder and try this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfMBoGLQp0k

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2014, 21:40:22 »

Our house lights are flickering , is that you starting to weld mr bear  ::) ;D

Welded up a snow plough mount today. As the yard manager is away on holiday every man and his dog decided to park in the sheds.

Running off a van mounted genny down 30m of extension lead,  doesn't give the best results.

Moral of the story, if your going to use an extension lead, keep it short and beefy.

omega3000

« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2014, 13:52:21 »

Get that welder going , ill never get that cart at this rate  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2014, 16:30:22 »

I have just been taking my time to get this set up. Just about to pull the trigger to pull the wire through.

These instructions are so annoying....

''Do roller nut up slightly''  ???

''Too tight and it will crush the wire. Too loose and it won't pull the wire through''. Great. That really helps!  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2014, 17:27:34 »

All set up...

Shield...

A must!!!!!....

These are sooooo freakin' comfy!!!!

Going to give it a go tomorrow morning now as its dark and cold and I got a few cold Coors waiting for me  8)

Couple of quickie questions...

I note that the crappy mask that came with the welder is completely dark when you look through it and I suppose you can only see stuff when the weld comes on.... is this where the ''auto adjusting'' helmets you guys mentioned adjust so you can see through them when not welding also?

The gas. It says the setting to put it on. But then says it will use two - three litres per minute. You boys weren't kidding when you said stuff really wont last!!  :o :o ;D

Finally I got two extra tips (called 'contact tips'??) in the kit. Do these not last very long either then?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2014, 17:39:46 »

Buy yourself an auto darkening mask mate,makes life so much easier especially when learning.
They are quite sensibly priced now,I bought an Sip mask from my local factor on a Friday sale for about 25 quid and it's just as good as my older one that cost three times that
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2014, 17:50:53 »

Buy yourself an auto darkening mask mate,makes life so much easier especially when learning.
They are quite sensibly priced now,I bought an Sip mask from my local factor on a Friday sale for about 25 quid and it's just as good as my older one that cost three times that

I already ordered one and in my haste I got it in my mind it was ''auto darkening'' (as recommended by you guys) but simply was ''adjustable''  :-[ stoopid bear. was only a tenner though so im sure I can get an auto adjusting one.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2014, 18:02:20 »

As you say, you can only see through the hand held mask when welding. I grew up with this type so I don't have a problem with them. I did fabrication for years and the auto mask wasn't fully approved back then and it was annoying when other welders 'flash' darkened your lens. The head band auto mask is a necessity for you though Webby as it doesn't require both hands.

Spatter sticks to the shroud so you can use anti-spatter on it to minimise that. If you stub the tip on the job by accident, it will clog and stop the wire feed, more-so I find with 0.6mm wire. Always good to have spare tips.  :y

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2014, 18:05:39 »

As you say, you can only see through the hand held mask when welding. I grew up with this type so I don't have a problem with them. I did fabrication for years and the auto mask wasn't fully approved back then and it was annoying when other welders 'flash' darkened your lens. The head band auto mask is a necessity for you though Webby as it doesn't require both hands.

Spatter sticks to the shroud so you can use anti-spatter on it to minimise that. If you stub the tip on the job by accident, it will clog and stop the wire feed, more-so I find with 0.6mm wire. Always good to have spare tips.  :y

Thanks mate! :)

One final thing. The wire came out from the tip absolutely fine. The wire speed was on 8 (out of 10 settings) and the wire came out quite slowly. Is it possible I've got the nut on the spool too tight? or the fact that the wire came out means its ok?

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2014, 19:10:52 »

Back the wire feed nut right off.
Adjust it so that the wire just feeds if you hold it about 50mm from the tip. If you have it too loose it won't feed, and too tight will kill the motor and feed wheels.

The mask that comes with the machine is probably a shade 13, and you're going to want a 9 or 10. An adjustable, darkening one will cover that.

You must practice your welding on clean metal, and remember to always cut the end off the wire before you start.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22 November 2014, 19:20:06 »

Back the wire feed nut right off.
Adjust it so that the wire just feeds if you hold it about 50mm from the tip.
If you have it too loose it won't feed, and too tight will kill the motor and feed wheels.

The mask that comes with the machine is probably a shade 13, and you're going to want a 9 or 10. An adjustable, darkening one will cover that.

You must practice your welding on clean metal, and remember to always cut the end off the wire before you start.

Sorry Nick, I'm confused. So I back the nut right off and its the next bit I don't really understand (sorry)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22 November 2014, 19:30:14 »

You should be able to just about 'stall' the wire feeding out of the tip, by pinching the wire with your fingers. Creeping up on this setting from too loose is the easiest way of achieving it.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 November 2014, 19:51:07 »

You should be able to just about 'stall' the wire feeding out of the tip, by pinching the wire with your fingers. Creeping up on this setting from too loose is the easiest way of achieving it.

So pinch it about 50mm from the end of the gun and try and stop it from feeding wire?

Wish there was just a ''tighten til you hear a click''  :(
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.