Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: y26se starter removal  (Read 1242 times)

COONY

• MANCHESTER
    • OMEGA 2.6 CDx PETROL
    • View Profile
y26se starter removal
« on: 11 February 2019, 15:02:06 »

anyone had any issues with starter change y26se 2.6cdx 02 plate.engine mount differs from the one in the pics.the one i have has only one bolt in bottom.also looks like its part of the body?! and cant be removed?anybody come across this before? thanx in advance.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: y26se starter removal
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2019, 17:08:28 »

The engine mounting only has one screw top and bottom. The engine mounting brackets on body and engine are attached by more. I think there are three attaching the bracket to the engine block, and that has to come off too. It's all in Haynes.

I hear John Haynes died yesterday, aged 80. Wonderful man, he made DIY car repairs posible for the average amateur mechanic. He established the Haynes car museum at Sparkford, well worth a visit. Apart from exotic cars, many of the exhibits are ordinary cars of yesteryear, including some I have owned.  I believe all the cars there actually run, and are parked over respectable oil puddles. My only grumble is that he dismantled the cars in his manuals when they were new, and the nuts etc. were not rusted solid.

He drove the modern cars too. There is a Jaguar V12 that he owned there. On a sign by it he comments he could never get the thing to start on all 12 cylinders, he had to start it on as many would fire, and hope the others joined in eventually.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2019, 20:26:15 »

He drove the modern cars too. There is a Jaguar V12 that he owned there. On a sign by it he comments he could never get the thing to start on all 12 cylinders, he had to start it on as many would fire, and hope the others joined in eventually.

Owners of the Triumph 2.5PI in the 70's usually suffered similar starting issues  - starting on 3 or 4 and gradually building up to 6 cylinders. In fact it was quite rare to hear one that managed to start from cold on 6 cylinders straight away...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

COONY

• MANCHESTER
    • OMEGA 2.6 CDx PETROL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2019, 08:18:52 »

hi guys meant to point out have removed one bolt and engine mount to find the bottom bracket doesnt match the pics on v6 starter removal ie doesnt have the four bolts holding it in place looks like one bolt in middle but appears to be part of body inner?have also jacked sump as in pics to clear bracket.thank for your replies

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2019, 10:34:16 »

Have you considered that the picture might be upside-down? The lower bracket is welded on ALL Omegas and the upper one bolted to the block...

Only two 16mm nuts and a jack to remove the mount itself...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2019, 11:15:01 »

hi guys meant to point out have removed one bolt and engine mount to find the bottom bracket doesnt match the pics on v6 starter removal ie doesnt have the four bolts holding it in place looks like one bolt in middle but appears to be part of body inner?have also jacked sump as in pics to clear bracket.thank for your replies
If you have removed the engine mount and bracket you are well on the way. Are you following the forum guide on changing a V6 starter? It is excellent with lots of pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.