Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: v6 OIL LEAK  (Read 10694 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: v6 OIL LEAK
« Reply #45 on: 20 September 2017, 18:55:58 »

Also make sure you haven't blocked the return channels from behind the cam oil seals as if these are blocked the oil will force its' way out through the seals.
Not quite sure what you mean. There is quite a bit of old sealant knocking about, not to mention bits of old gasket that got chopped up. I presume you mean some of the holes in the head that allow the oil to drain back to the sump. I did not clear any holes.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2017, 19:54:44 »

I have got in the pit under the car and wiped the sump top and bottom. I cannot see the half moons either from below or above, they are right under the scuttle drain. I have tried with a mirror on a stick, but there is no access.

I left the car idling for an hour, and there was little oil on the floor. After a 15 minute drive, then parking the car in the garage, there was more oil on the floor. Sump appears to be still full, so it is not an enormous leak.

I wonder if my failure to apply sealant around the half moon area explains the leak.

At the moment the two big fat hoses from the breather box to the breather top do not have hose clips, they are just pushed all the way on. Probably irrelevant, I just mention it.

Please keep the thoughts coming, chaps.

I aim to buy some more black sealant on Friday at Trowbridge. I might take the car apart again over the weekend, though daughter is bringing home her 2.6 for MOT tomorrow.

It is frustrating because I have changed cam cover gaskets on left hand side before with little trouble

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2017, 20:21:21 »

Not teaching you to suck eggs .. but just checking ..  you've done exactly as MarkDTM describes here ??

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90542.0

specifically :

"Fit the new cam cover seals noting the locating lugs on the seals which locate into small cut outs at the rear of the covers.

Apply the sealant around the half moon cutouts at the rear of the heads and either side of the two front cam clamps, as a basic rule, you are applying sealant where the rubber seals turn through a tight 90 deg bend

As soon as they are fitted, reach your hand around the back of the cam cover and feel to check the half moon shape rubber section is still in place other wise you will get a VERY big oil leak!"

TheBoy then posts pictures where the sealant should go, last part of the article.

HTH and good luck !!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20 September 2017, 20:29:30 »

The half moons can be felt in situ... you only need a fingertip to confirm correct position ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 September 2017, 20:53:52 »

The half moons can be felt in situ... you only need a fingertip to confirm correct position ;)
I'm sorry, I can't get a finger in there. The aircon, brake pipes, the wiring harness and the plenum get in the way.I think when I assembled it I did pass a hand behind the cam cover to make sure the half moons were not hanging out. I will check next time.

On another matter, SWMBO has just rung up. She is out with some chums in Carlingcott in the 3.2. She complains half the back of her car has fallen off  - she means she has knocked the bumper off. Will I rescue her?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 20 September 2017, 21:05:02 »

Also make sure you haven't blocked the return channels from behind the cam oil seals as if these are blocked the oil will force its' way out through the seals.
Not quite sure what you mean. There is quite a bit of old sealant knocking about, not to mention bits of old gasket that got chopped up. I presume you mean some of the holes in the head that allow the oil to drain back to the sump. I did not clear any holes.

Yes you should make sure all the little holes (oilways) are clear and clean up all the bits of old sealant and gasket!  ;)

As Baza has said check your Cam Covers are staright and when refitting use the goo in the half moons and tight corners at the front as per DTM's guide.  :y

I've sent another PM.  Go get Mrs Paget!  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 September 2017, 13:49:13 »

Not teaching you to suck eggs .. but just checking ..  you've done exactly as MarkDTM describes here ??

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90542.0

specifically :

"Fit the new cam cover seals noting the locating lugs on the seals which locate into small cut outs at the rear of the covers.

Apply the sealant around the half moon cutouts at the rear of the heads and either side of the two front cam clamps, as a basic rule, you are applying sealant where the rubber seals turn through a tight 90 deg bend

As soon as they are fitted, reach your hand around the back of the cam cover and feel to check the half moon shape rubber section is still in place other wise you will get a VERY big oil leak!"

TheBoy then posts pictures where the sealant should go, last part of the article.

HTH and good luck !!
Did it all as the guide, with the exception of applying black sealant around the rear half moons, which the guide and Haynes specify, but TB dismisses as unnecesary, just a good way to wipe my finger. I agree with TB, it should not be necessary, but now I wish I had done it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 September 2017, 18:36:43 »

Eh? I do precisely as per guide.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 September 2017, 20:59:40 »

Eh? I do precisely as per guide.
Begging your pardon TB, but your appendix to Fuse 19's guide, reply 47, states 'You don't really need the smear around the surface of the half moon, but it's a good spot to clean your finger.'

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 September 2017, 19:36:26 »

I have removed the left hand cam cover again. The half moons were in place at the back, with sufficient sealant on them to make them hard to remove. I have cleaned up the head and the cam cover. I can detect no warping of the cam cover by laying a steel rule along the sides. There was no oil in the plug holes. The trickiest spot to see and clean up was at the front outside corner, behind the dip stick

I have bought some more sealant, at Vauxhall Platinum Trowbridge. I enquired the cost of gaskets, was told £51.48 inc. VAT. I did not buy any. I have a second set of usd Gm baskets, and one new unused aftermarket gasket, and they are all about the same dimensions.

I do not know why the last repair failed; everything seemed to be in place, and there was enough sealant on the half moons to make removal tricky. I wonder if new Gm gaskets are a little bigger and therefore seal better.

Should I try again with my second set of used Gm gaskets, or should I buy new Gm on the off chance that they be a little bigger and therefore seal better?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 September 2017, 23:07:00 »

[/quoteWhich are the return channels?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 September 2017, 21:19:47 »

I am reassembling after my third attempt to seal the left hand cam cover. I noticed some brown gunge at the engine end of the small breather, so I removed the throttle, and breather unit, from the plenum. I squirted some carb cleaner though the breather unit and it came out brown; not good. What I need is a long pipe cleaner, but I haven't got one I suppose all I can do is keep squirting carb cleaner through it until it comes out clean. It seems worth doing while the plenum is off. Any tips?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 September 2017, 21:37:25 »

Is that little hole in the breather box clear Terry?  Easily missed that one.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25 September 2017, 22:43:53 »

Is that little hole in the breather box clear Terry?  Easily missed that one.  :)
Yes, that's the one I always check and often have to clear. Tonight's battle was removing the big Y shaped pipe. It is clamped to the breather box with a spring hose clip which is a devil to remove. It is off now, and looks nearly blocked with oily gunge - a job for the morning.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26 September 2017, 14:40:58 »

Car now reassembled. Engine runs, no lights on, Oil leak I think is cured. Not sure what was wrong last time, however this time I did use new Gm gaskets and a new tube of sealant.
Engine stalls occasionally, and starts with a splutter. Bother. Air leak? I have looked around and can see nothing wrong, not tightened up, no hoses off or missing. I suppose I could remove the plenum and replace it. Has anyone any ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.