Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: annoying drivers  (Read 4312 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: annoying drivers
« Reply #30 on: 18 November 2018, 22:37:07 »

I don't like driver aids. It has produced the lazy disinterested drivers we are all complaining about.

Couldn't agree more. Give new drivers a Lotus 7 with a Ford side valve engine and, only when they can drive that without messing up should they get any toys other than an oil pressure light. :y

Try driving a Bond E Microcar ..... not all even have a reverse gear  ;D ;D No toys at all .... brakes are err ... barely adequate)

(I've driven this car https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/1956_Bond_Minicar_Mark_E_Prototype_Tourer.jpg/1280px-1956_Bond_Minicar_Mark_E_Prototype_Tourer.jpg )

But ....... are we going to remove all modern 'driver aids'? Are we going to remove ABS and all the other safety items?
Did you have to open the bonnet to kickstart the bike engine on that model?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 November 2018, 23:17:04 »

I don't like driver aids. It has produced the lazy disinterested drivers we are all complaining about.

Couldn't agree more. Give new drivers a Lotus 7 with a Ford side valve engine and, only when they can drive that without messing up should they get any toys other than an oil pressure light. :y

Try driving a Bond E Microcar ..... not all even have a reverse gear  ;D ;D No toys at all .... brakes are err ... barely adequate)

(I've driven this car https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/1956_Bond_Minicar_Mark_E_Prototype_Tourer.jpg/1280px-1956_Bond_Minicar_Mark_E_Prototype_Tourer.jpg )

But ....... are we going to remove all modern 'driver aids'? Are we going to remove ABS and all the other safety items?
Did you have to open the bonnet to kickstart the bike engine on that model?

Not on that particular car as it had a 'dynostart' ie you could re-start the engine backwards which would give 4 reverse gears  :o, but yes, some of the Bond Microcars retained the Villiers engine's kick start.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 November 2018, 11:20:30 »

How about the 'drivers' who push the brake pedal just enough to put the lights on but not slow down? Then, sometime later you have no indication that they've started slowing down.

Could this be caused by modern cars cruise control 'with brake function'?  To maintain a constant speed the vehicle will sometimes back off to stay within the 3mph range of your chosen speed and I believe that the law dictates that it must show brake lights when doing so. Our Beemer certainly does this as I tested it after a conversation with TB some time back.
Likewise my E Class which could shed speed quite impressively using the cruise control switch and Teslas with max regen set... these will slow from 70 to 40* just by lifting off suddenly and Volvo trucks fitted with Ishift and VEB+ which will slow the truck from 56 to almost stopped, again by simply lifting off. Even when loaded 8)

New cars are becomingly increasingly crap to look at, but some of the driver aid tech is very impressive...

Don't just lift off on a damp road, !!!!!!!!!! With veb on 3.....
Hoof'land storeman.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 November 2018, 13:58:06 »

I suppose we all have things that we find annoying about other drivers. I travel north on the A19 from York to Thirsk quite a bit & for its entirety its a single lane highway. lots of times there is a car doing 20mph under the permitted speed limit, not only that often they whenever a car comes towards them move over to the nearside & slow down even more. I wont mention the tractors.  :)

I find that whe I go to Easingwold, the several crossroads make it interesting, as cars just pull out without looking.

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 19 November 2018, 14:06:58 »

I suppose we all have things that we find annoying about other drivers. I travel north on the A19 from York to Thirsk quite a bit & for its entirety its a single lane highway. lots of times there is a car doing 20mph under the permitted speed limit, not only that often they whenever a car comes towards them move over to the nearside & slow down even more. I wont mention the tractors.  :)

I find that whe I go to Easingwold, the several crossroads make it interesting, as cars just pull out without looking.

I remember my driving instructor taking me up and down the A19 to Northallerton, many years ago.. I imagine it's a lot busier now!

Went to secondary school in Easingwold.. that's changed a lot, too, since I was there.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 November 2018, 16:21:19 »

How about the 'drivers' who push the brake pedal just enough to put the lights on but not slow down? Then, sometime later you have no indication that they've started slowing down.

Could this be caused by modern cars cruise control 'with brake function'?  To maintain a constant speed the vehicle will sometimes back off to stay within the 3mph range of your chosen speed and I believe that the law dictates that it must show brake lights when doing so. Our Beemer certainly does this as I tested it after a conversation with TB some time back.
Likewise my E Class which could shed speed quite impressively using the cruise control switch and Teslas with max regen set... these will slow from 70 to 40* just by lifting off suddenly and Volvo trucks fitted with Ishift and VEB+ which will slow the truck from 56 to almost stopped, again by simply lifting off. Even when loaded 8)

New cars are becomingly increasingly crap to look at, but some of the driver aid tech is very impressive...

Don't just lift off on a damp road, !!!!!!!!!! With veb on 3.....
;D or :o

But agreed, that has the potential to end very badly...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.