Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nasty noise  (Read 3169 times)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
Nasty noise
« on: 28 April 2007, 22:31:47 »

Pulled up at Heathrow Airport car park today (after 100 mile motorway run) and heard a nasty noise coming from my car….

The best description of the sound would be if you got two brake discs and tried to turn them round against each other like a flour mill. A sort of metallically grinding sound. Stone in brake calliper type sound.

Seems to be coming from the middle of the engine. Engine related, not speed: coasting the car no noise. Stationary and reving the engine the noise is present.

I suspect the waterpump but cannot localise the noise to the pump. The Aux belt seems to be turning smoothly. The cambelt is turning smoothly with constant tension (there’s a hole in the cambelt cover that’s been there for years that allows me to see the tensioner). Car is running fine. Temp gauge fine.

At idle only a slight noise, at 1-2k revs the wheels start grinding.

No tools, had to catch the flight.

When I come back I need to get home… Suggestions welcome…..

Risk it and drive home watching the temp gauge like a hawk?

Order a cambelt and waterpump now?

Help!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty noise
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2007, 22:35:31 »

Until you can confirm it's not timing belt related, don't drive it

Check PAS level

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2007, 22:45:05 »

Will check the PAS.

Can't really check the timing belt in "Parking Express" but I could see the tensioner with the engine running and the belt was running smoothly with the tensioner marks in the right place.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2007, 22:50:16 »

Can you rule out aux tensioner?
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2007, 22:56:00 »

Good point, I think I'll try mr RAC and borrow a 15mm spanner, slip the aux belt off and see if it goes quiet. I can check the aux belt tensioner and water pump for roughness.

The tensioner is about 30k miles old.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2007, 00:26:15 »

Can you rule out aux tensioner?

or cambelt tensioner for that matter...?

Alas, no more Omegas....

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2007, 01:19:21 »

The cambelt kit is about 25k miles old.

I tell you what though, it's a jolly good old noise. As I pulled up at a roundabout I thought, bloody hell someone's car sounds rough. As we all pulled away I thought now which car is it, as the other cars peeled away I though b*gger......

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2007, 10:29:12 »

The cambelt kit is about 25k miles old.......

They can go at any age...

Incidentally, when Vx fitted my current cambelt kit, they phoned me up to say that they will need to keep the car for another day because when they started the engine after fitting the kit they found out that the tensioner was noisy, so they were going to re-do the job. Now I know that there the mere fact that the dealer said so down not imply this is actually true, but it is not impossible...

But generally speaking anything that rotates can cause a grinding noise, aux belt / cam belt tensioner or runners, water pump, alternator, PAS, AC (if engaged)... don't take a chance and if you can't identify the source then I suggest you don't drive the car...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2007, 10:58:49 »

slight hijack and similar issue - can car be run even at idle for a few seconds with aux belt off.....i have similar issue and aux pulley was a swine to get back on..would rather eliminate aux before i start getting timing cover back off....
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2007, 11:02:30 »

slight hijack and similar issue - can car be run even at idle for a few seconds with aux belt off.....i have similar issue and aux pulley was a swine to get back on..would rather eliminate aux before i start getting timing cover back off....
Yes, should be alright for a few secs, though let it cool down before testing again...
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2007, 11:05:30 »

Yes, should be alright for a few secs, though let it cool down before testing again...

cool - if only the auxbelt and timing belts were not so close i would actually be able to differentiate.....i suspect ive bodged the aux belt etc when going back on ( aux pulley and those huge bolts are attached to the rear of the block on veccy) so its a similar line up in the dark job to dispack on the omega )
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2007, 11:12:16 »

cool - if only the auxbelt and timing belts were not so close i would actually be able to differentiate.....i suspect ive bodged the aux belt etc when going back on ( aux pulley and those huge bolts are attached to the rear of the block on veccy) so its a similar line up in the dark job to dispack on the omega )
Ah, but DIS pack mega easy on a v6 Veccy ;)
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2007, 11:18:44 »

Ah, but DIS pack mega easy on a v6 Veccy ;)

tell me about it - only thing that is and the only thing ( just about) i havent needed to touch... ;D

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2007, 13:26:24 »

Could it possibly be the aircon compressor. Mine went and it made a hell of a noise, metallic grinding sound. on closer inspection I could see metal filings underneath the pump. I think the compressor clutch was sh@gged.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2007, 04:55:25 »

Thanks for that another area to check.

If it is the air con compressor it's good and bad, safe to drive, well safeish, but bad 'cause I suspect it will be expensive to replace....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.