Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatwick  (Read 29764 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Gatwick
« Reply #30 on: 20 December 2018, 19:35:15 »

This may have something to do with the protests against Gatwick expansion. Maybe some one, or group of nutters, have decided to take direct action.

Obviously this is one of a number of possibilities.  Whoever they are they must be imprisoned for longer than the present maximum sentence of 5 years.  They will get caught as I am sure all levels of the security services are on this one. >:(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 December 2018, 20:16:02 »

They are taking their time  ;D

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 December 2018, 20:22:11 »

They will get caught as I am sure all levels of the security services are on this one. >:(
Only if they are very stupid.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 December 2018, 20:36:04 »

They will get caught as I am sure all levels of the security services are on this one. >:(
Only if they are very stupid.

I think TB they have proved to be that already.  A person can muck around in the everyday sense with authority, but to take on all the agencies, including I am sure MI5 as this has become a national security issue, is just plain dumb. If that is not the case and it IS perhaps more sinister, like a foreign involvement (I will let Rod assess the rest!) then this incident will not be the end of the matter.  Apart from the embarrassment caused to our nation, and the distress caused to so many passengers, what is the financial cost of this to our country and it's industry?

So if this is down to one or two nutters they have been very stupid. ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 December 2018, 20:46:57 »

Is flying another drone at it(kamaksai) drone. Or is that to easy. Or an rc plane.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 December 2018, 20:49:35 »

Oh, yes, the people behind it are incredibly irresponsible. And stupid in certain regards. And need stringing up/shot/culled/etc

But it would be reasonably easy to evade the authorities, especially as the authorities (clearly) are too stupid to do anything about it.  But, in their defence, they are civil servants. Even me - the stupid kid from the local comprehensive - could run rings round them for ages, and keep the airport closed.  The only effective counter measure is to bring each device down, but I could just send up another, and another, and another, and so on.

I doubt its a foreign power behind it. Because you'd hit multiple airports, particularly Heathrow. So that leaves a Swampy type tree hugger, or somebody who plans on 15 mins of fame using a fake social media account.  I'm leaning towards the latter, but who knows, and I suspect we will never find who.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 December 2018, 20:52:46 »

Is flying another drone at it(kamaksai) drone. Or is that to easy. Or an rc plane.
Depends on how manoeuvrable the invading quad is, and if its actually being flown, or flying autonomously.
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 December 2018, 21:29:54 »

This all serves to reinforce my ever increasing avoidance/dislike of flying . . . .
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 December 2018, 22:08:19 »

I suspect these boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2UW2nYBQQ

On a serious note, if quadcopters are now cheap enough that you can throw hundreds of them at something, then all you need to do is plant a shedload of them in the fields around an airport and, each time it looks like it's in danger of opening, send another one up to fly up and down the runway trolling them until the battery gets low, then return to its field, all without any interaction or wireless comms needed beyond the initial "go".

You then get a dog walker to case the field with a Li-Po in his pocket. If the location hasn't been compromised, a quick battery swap and it's ready to go again. Repeat until bored.

They'll be better off looking for the flurry of digital comms that was used to coordinate this than to try following the drones or looking for the pilots, although that's probably well hidden in the dark web if they're thorough.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 December 2018, 22:51:58 »

I suspect these boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2UW2nYBQQ

On a serious note, if quadcopters are now cheap enough that you can throw hundreds of them at something, then all you need to do is plant a shedload of them in the fields around an airport and, each time it looks like it's in danger of opening, send another one up to fly up and down the runway trolling them until the battery gets low, then return to its field, all without any interaction or wireless comms needed beyond the initial "go".

You then get a dog walker to case the field with a Li-Po in his pocket. If the location hasn't been compromised, a quick battery swap and it's ready to go again. Repeat until bored.

They'll be better off looking for the flurry of digital comms that was used to coordinate this than to try following the drones or looking for the pilots, although that's probably well hidden in the dark web if they're thorough.
What do drones use for comms? (I assume they use a 3G mobile phone signal :-\)

Could the mobile operators be forced to switch off their 3G?

The local residents might whinge and would have to rely on old fashioned copper for their internet, not sure what the 10,000 passengers stuck in the terminals would use - does Gatwick have guest WiFi  :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 December 2018, 23:17:33 »

There's some talk of completely closing the airport tomorrow  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 December 2018, 23:45:24 »

Its a pretty safe bet that this will bring about new legislation on drones which will make life difficult for responsible owners and do far call to prevent it happening again.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 December 2018, 23:55:46 »

You mean likegun control in the USA stops murders?

I dare say all UK airports will have to have anti drone measures which will be passed onto the consumers in even higher parking charges or fees.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 December 2018, 00:03:51 »

24 hours later the police are now saying that they will shoot the drones down if it's safe to do so....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 December 2018, 00:23:28 »

search for the Litchi app & use it with the DGI models :y
Jamming the signal won`t kill the drone if it`s flying a waypoint mission
You can place multiple waypoints on a map, however far you want and the aircraft will fly from waypoint to waypoint and complete the mission even if the signal is lost.

The app dispays mission progress, next waypoint to fly ; next POI etc
The end mission directive is multiple, go home or reverse fly the mission, land or just hover
Yoo can also program it to  fly straight lines between waypoinys or curved & fly the next leg without loitering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.