Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Camber Adjustment  (Read 4815 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
Camber Adjustment
« on: 30 July 2015, 20:03:49 »

Hi folks. Please help. I know there is loads of history on this but I need some simple advice urgently.
Had new wishbones on today and afterwards went to get it set up. All was fine apart from the camber which is visibly way out. The tracking guys say they can't adjust and so did the dealer who fitted the wishbones. They claim the wishbones have no effect on camber setting and say it must have been out before. I have had no tyre wear problems to date.
I have read on here that the camber is adjustable but not clear on how it is done. Please help as I have a long trip coming up and fear my tyres will be worn out.

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Re: Camber Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2015, 20:49:09 »

Front camber is adjusted by the 2 bolts that hold the hub to the shock, simply slacken them both and the top one will slide slightly to change the camber.

There's no real accurate way to adjust it tho unless they can do live readings on the alignment machine maybe?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2015, 20:52:22 »

Hi folks. Please help. I know there is loads of history on this but I need some simple advice urgently.
Had new wishbones on today and afterwards went to get it set up. All was fine apart from the camber which is visibly way out. The tracking guys say they can't adjust and so did the dealer who fitted the wishbones. They claim the wishbones have no effect on camber setting and say it must have been out before. I have had no tyre wear problems to date.
I have read on here that the camber is adjustable but not clear on how it is done. Please help as I have a long trip coming up and fear my tyres will be worn out.
There are two big bolts that fix the shock absorber strut to the steering knuckle. The bottom hole in the knuckle is round. The top hole in the knuckle is obround. So you nip up the bottom bolt, and then you can push/pull the top of the wheel in/out till you've got the camber you want, then nip up the top bolt. Recheck, and then do up both bolts 'kin tight and hope they don't move/slip.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2015, 21:06:32 »

Replaced most of my suspension a few months ago and had a similar problem

On mine, one wheel was miles out and the other was pretty much spot on.
What I did was drive the front end up onto a pair of ramps.
Next, I found a socket which (only just) fitted between the wheel rim and the shock absorber body.
If you have to literally hammer the socket into the gap then that's even better  :y

Once you have the right size socket, remove it and shuffle your arse across to the other side and try to fit it in the same place  ;D
It will either be a slack fit or it will be too tight.

Next, find the 2 bolts that hold the shocker onto the hub.
Slacken off the top one so that its quite loose and then just crack off the bottom one a little.
Get somebody to either pull or push at the top of the front wheel until you can fit the socket in the gap as per the good side  ;)
Once its in there, tighten the 2 bolts up within a inch of there life's and remove the socket  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2015, 21:31:41 »

Find new garages... If they don't know how to adjust the camber then best change workshop ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2015, 21:38:06 »

Ah thanks guys. Really appreciate the replies. I have had a bad day and needed some positive replies.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2015, 21:46:33 »

Ah thanks guys. Really appreciate the replies. I have had a bad day and needed some positive replies.

Sorry... I didn't mean to be so blunt  :-[

Whereabouts are you? May be a recommended place relatively nearby.

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2015, 22:11:50 »

Find new garages... If they don't know how to adjust the camber then best change workshop ;)
:y :y :y

Its really not hard to adjust as per the previous posts just two bolts and if the gge don't know how to adjust it on an Omega then I personally would not bother going back there.

Pulled both of mine right out at the top and they both came in on the alignment around the 1 degree 10 mark so told them to leave it as is and do the rest. Drives fine and doesn't wear tyre inners edges (which is nice).

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2015, 22:20:44 »

I appreciate the bluntness. I came to the same conclusion myself.
Does anyone have the bolt size to hand for the two bolts. Also when adjusting the wheel what would you recommend in order to get it within the parish. I read placing a socket between the wheel and shocker and somewhere else set the wheel to be about 10mm in board from vertical. Advice please.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2015, 08:25:58 »

You can't get it right without the equipment. Where are you? Might be able to suggest somewhere you can take the settings to

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2015, 09:56:00 »

Nigel Langs... :y Assuming Bolton is still in Lancashire ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2015, 10:17:42 »

You can get it spot on with a spirit level and some level ground, takes one or two iterations but works  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2015, 10:45:12 »

You can get it spot on with a spirit level and some level ground, takes one or two iterations but works  :y

True, but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the op wouldn't be able to do it as he had the WB fitted by a "dealer" :-\

Nigel Langs... :y Assuming Bolton is still in Lancashire ::)

This is why I'm asking ;)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2015, 12:11:18 »

You can get these camber gauges but useless unless your car is perfectly level
http://gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=4034

Also what is the perfect front setting, it's not spot on level is it?

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2015, 12:23:04 »

Fronts -1.10' for standard and -1.15' for MV6/lowered/Sport.
Rear is a compromise setting, adjusted with rear toe, but generally -1.30'-40' important rear setting is that the thrust angle is 0. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.