Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3012338 times)

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #4545 on: 04 March 2013, 20:26:54 »

Had oil cooler let go me :'( :'( so had a panic-went to scrap yard and there was a mig with front end damage-and top of engine missing ??? But there was a new oil cooler :o so resourceful me took it=£10 not bad considering they are £140 ish :y got it home and tested it= all ok then fitted it. so bad day ended good :y 
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: 04 March 2013, 20:30:15 »

Sorry to hear the bad news Nige... They have to remove the rad to change the condensor (it's why I keep putting mine off :-[) so seems likely to me :-X :-X

Good luck though, hopefully they'll come through and compensate you for their failed bodge ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #4547 on: 04 March 2013, 20:32:44 »

Got towed home by Green Flag :( Luckily only 5 miles. Very sensible and helpful they were too. :)

Driving down the dual carriageway at 60ish, low coolant warning came on followed by a load of steam from engine area, pulled over PDQ, temperature gauge never moved. On examination expansion bottle had about 1/2 inch left in it, engine bay absolutely covered in coolant Furthr examination, the small pipe, top left, from the expansion bottle, where it joins the radiator, broken off at the base :( , coolant still running out of the hole left.

So I'm pretty sure I caught it before any heat damage done.

Get home and have removed radiator completely now, many thanks to Chris Gixer and lazydocker for their help in trying to order one from carcooling.... but they don't answer the goddamn phone on either number. I've ordered one from eurocarparts, should be there at 0830 tomorrow.. just hope they get the right one ......

So why did it break .. now here's an oddity .... examining the bits, there is a load of black araldite type stuff all around where its broken ... so its been broken before and bodged ...now I haven't done it, and I've owned the car 5 years, yet the araldity stuff is shiny and new looking ......

8 February I had work done to replace the air con condensor, they told me they'd had to top up the coolant slightly and to keep an eye on it ..... so now my suspicions are kicking in ....  if they had removed the rad to change the condensor, then it would not be a "slight top up" it would be a whole load of coolant, if you don't drain the rad then how do you lose a "slight amount" of coolant when changing a condensor ???

Next, the last folks to work in that area were the air con folks, and a month later a bodge repair fails .... that if it wasn't them has not failed in the previous 5 years ....  a coincidence too far ? ... I think so.

I've phoned the MD of the air con company .. and he actually sees my point !! Not going to ask his mechs any questions, yet , wants to see the old rad and see if the bodge stuff is anything like anything they use in the workshop. He hopes he can trust his mechs, but admits that it's a possibility...... won't go further at the moment.

We wait and see .... :(

Need get this done ASAP as Chris's mum died Sat and I need to drive the car to Elgin on Thursday for the funeral, so here's hoping the new rad is the right one, and I get it in without breaking anything or not connecting something .... stand by for panic instructions sometime tomorrow !!!

Sorry to hear that Nige :(

Indeed, please pass on condolences from us both. Best of lunch for Thursday.

These things never brake when its convenient do they. :(

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: 04 March 2013, 20:37:10 »

Condolences to Mrs E.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: 04 March 2013, 20:37:40 »

Got towed home by Green Flag :( Luckily only 5 miles. Very sensible and helpful they were too. :)

Driving down the dual carriageway at 60ish, low coolant warning came on followed by a load of steam from engine area, pulled over PDQ, temperature gauge never moved. On examination expansion bottle had about 1/2 inch left in it, engine bay absolutely covered in coolant Furthr examination, the small pipe, top left, from the expansion bottle, where it joins the radiator, broken off at the base :( , coolant still running out of the hole left.

So I'm pretty sure I caught it before any heat damage done.

Get home and have removed radiator completely now, many thanks to Chris Gixer and lazydocker for their help in trying to order one from carcooling.... but they don't answer the goddamn phone on either number. I've ordered one from eurocarparts, should be there at 0830 tomorrow.. just hope they get the right one ......

So why did it break .. now here's an oddity .... examining the bits, there is a load of black araldite type stuff all around where its broken ... so its been broken before and bodged ...now I haven't done it, and I've owned the car 5 years, yet the araldity stuff is shiny and new looking ......

8 February I had work done to replace the air con condensor, they told me they'd had to top up the coolant slightly and to keep an eye on it ..... so now my suspicions are kicking in ....  if they had removed the rad to change the condensor, then it would not be a "slight top up" it would be a whole load of coolant, if you don't drain the rad then how do you lose a "slight amount" of coolant when changing a condensor ???

Next, the last folks to work in that area were the air con folks, and a month later a bodge repair fails .... that if it wasn't them has not failed in the previous 5 years ....  a coincidence too far ? ... I think so.

I've phoned the MD of the air con company .. and he actually sees my point !! Not going to ask his mechs any questions, yet , wants to see the old rad and see if the bodge stuff is anything like anything they use in the workshop. He hopes he can trust his mechs, but admits that it's a possibility...... won't go further at the moment.

We wait and see .... :(

Need get this done ASAP as Chris's mum died Sat and I need to drive the car to Elgin on Thursday for the funeral, so here's hoping the new rad is the right one, and I get it in without breaking anything or not connecting something .... stand by for panic instructions sometime tomorrow !!!

Sorry to hear that Nige :(

Indeed, please pass on condolences from us both. Best of lunch for Thursday.

These things never brake when its convenient do they. :(
sorry to hear the news  :'(
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: 04 March 2013, 22:19:10 »

Fitted LSD. Didn't realise manuals have different diff ratios to autos. Not a great deal but I noticed it as soon as I test drove it. Real nice quiet diff which now shows my front wheel bearings to be howling worse than I thought. Borrax I've got an op next tuesday which will put me out of spannering action for a few months.  :( Oh and booked car for LPG test. Went some where else in the end. The first place I tried was turning out to be a right ballsache
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: 04 March 2013, 22:57:32 »

Sincere Condolences to you both Mr. Entwood :(
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: 05 March 2013, 11:00:37 »

Sworn at europarts .. lots ... :(  wrong part obtained .... desperately trying to contact carcooling ... looking at hirecar places ... not a happy bunny ... :(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: 05 March 2013, 11:23:13 »

Sworn at europarts .. lots ... :(  wrong part obtained .... desperately trying to contact carcooling ... looking at hirecar places ... not a happy bunny ... :(

Ouch,wish you were closer as I normally have a car here kicking around :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #4554 on: 05 March 2013, 11:33:05 »

Nige, thamesides radiators in manchester, order before 2 and next day guaranteed  :y not the cheapest for the omega, but can't fault their service

ksanjay

• india
    • civics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: 05 March 2013, 11:39:50 »

Changed pollen filter yesterday, ordered a new radiator which is out of stock and got my philips silver vision bulbs through the post today.

05omegav6

« Reply #4556 on: 05 March 2013, 11:41:34 »

Nige, thamesides radiators in manchester, order before 2 and next day guaranteed  :y not the cheapest for the omega, but can't fault their service

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega-2-0i-Vauxhall-Omega-2-5i-Vauxhall-Omega-3-0i-RADIATOR-/150992046379?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2327d3c92b

Or...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271156124863

I bought mine from coolparts on price, but have used tameside for the vectras at work :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: 05 March 2013, 13:03:41 »

Many, Many thanks for all the offers of help, very much appreciated.

Latest situation .. existing (knackered) rad has part no JL52485466 on it .. which doesn't seem to exist anywhere on anyones system :(, and all factor systems come up with the same one that europarts did ..and we know its wrong ..:(

Spoke to a guy at AndyC's place (Andy was busy) .. his system says that my car requires part no JL52482600. - although no-one knows what the differences are :(

Coolingcar (who have been really helpful trying to get the correct one) reckon they can get an equivalent one of them to me, possibly by late morning, certainly by tomorrow afternoon.... which is a tad late for my purposes..... and would cost about £120 total

Vauxhall Swindon can get me the exact part (52482600) by 09:00 ... and will cost £297 total after trade discount.. :(

So, best part of £200 difference.

I HAVE to have a driveable car -decision wise - by 1500 tomorrow, or its a hire car job.

Hirecar  has to be Wednesday to Monday as we are leaving very early Thursday, they won't take it back in on a Sunday, has to be a decent size for 4 adults plus kit. Additional fuel for not running on LPG added .. and at a very poor guess the hire car option is around £300 in total by the time you add in all the insurances as well ... :(

So I've made the decision to go for the Vauxhall one... gives me around 5 hours to get it in and sorted which should be ample - even for me - and will - overall, and if it works as I hope - actually end up cheaper than the hire car + coolingcar option

Once again .. thanks to all, much appreciated  :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #4558 on: 05 March 2013, 15:30:09 »

Hand painted it  :-X Well hammerite silver under the bonnet area's . Took the ECU off its mounting plate then cleaned all the connections , sat staring at the stat housing thinking i should change the stat  ::) thank god its only 2 bolts and a 5 minute job  :P ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #4559 on: 05 March 2013, 19:45:04 »

Checked the engine codes, fitted another maf, swapped the bonnet struts out, took the top plate off the shocks to check the top mounts, bent the spring cups in on the shocks.

Oh, and put the old aux belt back on, no more squeak, but we'll see how it goes on the next couple of cold starts. :)

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.