Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIS pack test - can you?  (Read 454 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
DIS pack test - can you?
« on: 09 February 2015, 14:44:50 »

As per title. I have two DIS packs (well, 3 including the one on the car  ::)) One that I got from a scrappy, looks like new and  a freebie that looks like hell, which may make a useful comparison. Knowing now the HT leads on that 1st unit were bad, I wanted to confirm that the misfiring HTs hadn't damaged the DIS pack too. So is there anything other than measuring the resistance across each terminal? And what would be the normal reading for that anyway?

Oh and the obvious way of testing - ie: just fit it to my V6 to see how she runs - wouldn't necessarily work, as she's running rough now (again) and it may be the DIS causing it, so replacing a possibly duff component for another possibly duff component wouldn't rule anything out.

Thanks in advance. More headaches!  :D

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

Re: DIS pack test - can you?
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2015, 14:52:05 »

As you have known good leads, you could use a spark tester to measure spark voltage... :-\

MarksDTM used one to good effect when trying to get to the bottom of a pot 6 misfire... Concluded that pot 6 had a much weaker spark, which changing coil packs made no difference to the spark strength, leaving only the loom and ecu...

Probably safer than using a multimeter on it whist it's live :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: DIS pack test - can you?
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2015, 15:11:43 »

Ta.

I initially replaced the decade-old fried BERUs (which were still firing fine, in spite of their poor condition, corrosion and splits) with some cosmetically 'good as new ones' from the scrappy. At that point she was running sweet as a nut, after a poor idle was traced to a wrongly-adjusted throttle body.

On fitting the car ran like a bag of spanners. So off they came and some brand new Bosch ones were ordered and went on. Sadly I wasn't able to get the car fully assembled and run again until just after Xmas, whereupon she was running terrible again - smoothing out a little after a 15 minute idle and nearly up to temp.

Will get a cheap n cheerful spark tester off the heebay right away. Won't get chance to work on her until mid week/this weekend, so not desperate.

Hoping it's one of...
-Current DIS (as I have a spare - I just need to know it's reliable!)
-Dodgy wiring/water ingress (as the current DIS is plumbed in via chocolate box connectors - ugh!)
-Plugs (bit of a coincidence, though)
-Fueling (I have a small fuel leak, though why she should run sweet as a nut until the fitting of the Scrappy leads, I don't know - coincidence?)

And not...
-HT leads (because they're brand new!)
-Loom / ECU, (as I don't have any spares lying about  :D )

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.