Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen fitting kit.  (Read 2295 times)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
Windscreen fitting kit.
« on: 21 September 2019, 18:08:28 »

Looking to change the screen on one of the Omegas.....and was looking around online for the fitting kit. There seems to be an upgrade available to replace the old six piece kit with a two piece one,question being has anyone had a screen fitted with the upgrade,and if so have they had any problems with it? tia :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen fitting kit.
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2019, 22:27:36 »

Linky?

Basically original frame was four pieces plus two rubber trims...

Upgraded version is a two piece frame plus the two rubber trims :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2019, 10:15:43 »

I had a replacement screen some time back, which was an aftermarket screen, and came with 'new' plastic trims. The rubbers didn't fit the trim surround as well as on the original VX screen, and kept lifting at the top corners. It was a fitter I had used before who had previously fitted a new genuine VX screen and rubbers to a different car which was perfect. His thoughts were that aftermarket trims on replacement screens arent as good as genuine, but I suppose that applies to a lot of items.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2019, 10:20:29 »

The wifes 1995, recently had a screen replaced. If you are going to use a windscreen company, don't use National Windscreens. The lot that came out to do the wifes screen, made a mess of it. In the end had to get insurance company involved to sort it out. The later rubbers do fit, but you have to make sure that they are fitted correctly. otherwise as Johnnydog said it will lift and cause problems. If you explain that it is a Omega and you want the new style rubbers, when you book the car in, then they can get them. Before you or they leave if mobile one doing it, just check the rubber is seated correct.

Autoglass is mentioned on here as a decent lot.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2019, 10:36:09 »

I think that I'll try VX to see if they can still get the trim sets and take it from there,but I'm expecting a ''no'' :-\ on that one Thanks to every one for the heads up :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2019, 14:01:16 »

I had a replacement screen some time back, which was an aftermarket screen, and came with 'new' plastic trims. The rubbers didn't fit the trim surround as well as on the original VX screen, and kept lifting at the top corners. It was a fitter I had used before who had previously fitted a new genuine VX screen and rubbers to a different car which was perfect. His thoughts were that aftermarket trims on replacement screens arent as good as genuine, but I suppose that applies to a lot of items.
The reason the corners don't sit right is twofold:

1. The frame and rubbers should be fitted before the glass is bonded in. Most crap fitters fit the frames, bond the glass then try to fit the rubbers.

2. The placement of the glass is governed by the bead thickness of the bonding adhesive and the rubber.

Basically the frame and rubber gets fitted to the glass. The bead is laid to a specific depth. The screen assembly is then pressed home until the rubbers are correctly seated with the body aperture, especially the top corners  :y

This applies equally to front and rear screen of both saloons and estates. Anyone who says different is too lazy to be doing the job. No ifs no buts. If the fitter won't agree to fitting it correctly, send them packing. Also supposed to be a two man job...

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2019, 15:24:48 »

The plastic trim comes part of the windscreen, I recollect, rather than separately.
I have experiencd replacement aftermarket windscreens (not Vauxhalls) not being the correct curved profile, which causes problems in gettng it to sit correctly in the windscreen recess, resulting in them sitting proud in places, usually the corners.
I would always get new rubbers fitted at the same time, as the old ones will have invariably deformed due to age - possibly the only exception would be the bottom rubber across the scuttle.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2019, 15:26:20 »

I cant get my screen rubber trim to fit my screen since it was replaced last year. I go another one from an OOFer, hoping the fault was my old trim, which they didn't replace. It didn't make any difference. It actually rips off in the wind above 65mph, so I have just left it off altogether now.
This pisses me off quite a bit.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2019, 15:33:15 »

The plastic retainer trim can be removed from an old screen, but in my experience,  when refitted it never grips the screen properly afterwards. They are hard plastic, rather than being flexible, so they weaken and probably get brittle over time. That's probably one reason why new genuine screens come with them already fitted.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2019, 16:02:05 »

The plastic retainer trim can be removed from an old screen, but in my experience,  when refitted it never grips the screen properly afterwards. They are hard plastic, rather than being flexible, so they weaken and probably get brittle over time. That's probably one reason why new genuine screens come with them already fitted.
Another piece of misinformation.

The screens aren't prefitted with the frame and trim. They are supplied as separate parts, which are ALL fitted together PRIOR to being fitted to the car  ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2019, 19:32:20 »

Another piece of misinformation.

The screens aren't prefitted with the frame and trim. They are supplied as separate parts, which are ALL fitted together PRIOR to being fitted to the car  ;)

Not quite.
Although the windscreen, mouldings and plastic trim pieces ARE shown as separate part numbers, my new windscreen from Vauxhall came WITH the trim pieces already fitted, and the upper and lower rubber mouldings as individual items.
I still have the invoice from 2009, which shows the windscreen, and two rubber mouldings but no mention of any separate trims (trims). I collected the parts from my VX dealer and passed them to the fitter when he arrived to fit them.
Maybe then I was just fortunate and got the screen with trims at no extra cost.....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2019, 20:05:40 »

My experience of Omega screens is all post 2009, if that possibly explains the difference  ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2019, 21:26:23 »

Is the windscreen rubber trim still available anywhere ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2019, 21:29:21 »

Is the windscreen rubber trim still available anywhere ?
Best advice would be to obtain it from the same supplier as the frames so that it matches. :y

When fitting the screen the top corners of the rubber should fit perfectly. If they don't, then the screen isn't fitted properly.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2019, 23:30:28 »

Call Autoglass then ?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.