Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access to Wishbone bolt drivers side.  (Read 2705 times)

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Access to Wishbone bolt drivers side.
« on: 23 September 2019, 11:14:52 »

Hello comrades
Got my wishbones on order so decided to start the job so I am ready to fit when they arrive.
Passenger side all removed with the only problem being the hid sensor which was tough to remove mainly because I did not have a star spanner. Solution I found that a small ring spanner did the job really easily  :y
Drivers side is more complicated because I have no line of sight on the bolt going through the chassis into the engine bay? Looks like I am going to have to remove the coolant tank and the auto transmission pipes and maybe the air box to get at it. I have removed the nut with lots of fiddling but can not even see or feel the bolt head in the hole in chassis.
The bolt is still through the hole so it has not dropped into the sub-frame but I do not want to push it out with out being able to at least feel were it is.
Any suggestions or is it best to remove as much as possible to be able to see it.
I am without a helper at the moment but later today I will get someone to turn it from below while I try and locate it with my fat fingers which are not the best fit in small holes ???

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Wishbone bolt drivers side.
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2019, 13:33:04 »

There's no need to remove anything from the engine bay to access any of the wishbone bolts. Link 2 or 3 medium length extensions together if you don't have any really long ones and do it that way.

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2019, 14:13:56 »

Hi Nick thanks for the reply.
I had read the guide and saw the post about access to the bolt I wonder if it is different for auto models as the oil cooler pipes for the gearbox run across the chassis hole making it difficult to get the socket in the hole.
I have enough extensions but it is getting into the hole in the first place, removing the coolant tank air filter box and cooler pipes seem to be the only way I can get to it :-\ . I seem to be unable to force the pipes out of the way even though I have removed all the pipe clips.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2019, 14:19:30 »

Do the 2.2 pipes run in a different place to a V6? That seems unlikely considering the gearbox and radiator are externally identical and fitted in the same places......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2019, 14:35:35 »

They don't.

Can be done from underneath. I used a short breaker bar to hold the upper end and a long one, followed by a ratchet, to do the lower one  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2019, 14:56:54 »

Do the 2.2 pipes run in a different place to a V6? That seems unlikely considering the gearbox and radiator are externally identical and fitted in the same places......

I can only think my pipes have been altered as they are directly across the access hole although it seems unlikely as they are all held in what looks like factory fitted clips.

The only other possibility is I am not looking in the right hole :o ;D :D will get my son to turn the bolt later and see if I can shed some light on the subject.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2019, 15:15:28 »

Thinking about it, a long extension or two and a short breaker bar against the brake servo rings a bell :y

Guide it onto the bolt from below as you can then direct with a bit more accuracy as you can see the other end of the bolt :y
« Last Edit: 23 September 2019, 15:19:30 by Doctor Gollum »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2019, 15:42:32 »

I thought that you could get at the nut and bolt from underneath? I don't remember going through the engine bay...  :-\

Remember to stuff a rag in the bulkhead hole and for good measure I used to tie a bit of string to the bolt head once I'd slackened it so if I dropped it I could pull it out!  You only lose that bolt in the bulkhead once!  :o  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2019, 16:34:09 »

Apoligies its official I am a doddery old fool thankfully my son is young and still keen of wit despite all the drugs and alcohol :D
I was in the wrong hole your honour what a great big daftie I am.
Thanks to everyone for the help and yes it is easy to get from underneath I was trying to go in at totally the wrong place. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2019, 16:36:21 »

Apoligies its official I am a doddery old fool thankfully my son is young and still keen of wit despite all the drugs and alcohol :D
Thanks to everyone for the help and yes it is easy to get from underneath I was trying to go in at totally the wrong place. :y

It's happened to the best of us!  :y  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2019, 16:48:18 »

Speak for yourself.  ;D

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2019, 15:52:13 »

I am about to do the same job on wifes 1995 2ltr Omega, so I hope you don't mind me asking a question? Can the old bolts be reused as Haynes said they must be new ones on reassemble. Tried looking online for them, but cann't seem to find any. So if old ones can be used great.

Thanks
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2019, 15:57:37 »

Speak for yourself.  ;D

Any port in a storm, no hole is ever the wrong'un  just ask the Lord. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2019, 16:36:35 »

I am about to do the same job on wifes 1995 2ltr Omega, so I hope you don't mind me asking a question? Can the old bolts be reused as Haynes said they must be new ones on reassemble. Tried looking online for them, but cann't seem to find any. So if old ones can be used great.

Thanks
Addy

I doubt anyone has ever replaced them. They're not standard size shank bolts either. The only one I would worry about is the pinchbolt for the wishbone balljoint to hub carrier. That's small enough to damage, and it MUST be good to retain the joint.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2019, 18:40:50 »

Thanks for that. I take it that the pinch bolt is a Vauxhall Dealer only. Did a search online but couldn't find any.Looked at new ball joints and the majority don't come with the bolt? Found that lemforder supply a M12 bolt, so I assume that is the pinchbolt? Could I just buy two M12 part threaded high tensile 8.8 bolts with lock nuts, if so how long is the bolt?

Thanks again
Addy
« Last Edit: 01 October 2019, 18:58:17 by addy »
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2019, 21:25:38 »

Thanks for that. I take it that the pinch bolt is a Vauxhall Dealer only. Did a search online but couldn't find any.Looked at new ball joints and the majority don't come with the bolt? Found that lemforder supply a M12 bolt, so I assume that is the pinchbolt? Could I just buy two M12 part threaded high tensile 8.8 bolts with lock nuts, if so how long is the bolt?

Thanks again
Addy
I used all the bolts again they were all pretty good anyway and I had given them a good soaking of paraffin for a day or two. Sadly it has not solved my issue with the wandering Omega.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2019, 14:38:24 »

Thanks again
Addy

the wishbone pinch bolt engages in a groove on the balljoint pin. That is true of most of this design, and fitting a standard bolt doesn't do it. Which often results in the weight of the car pushing the joint apart. The bolt will be a Vx only part, so it needs a critical inspection before you reuse it. On older Fords, I always bought a new pinch bolt with the wishbone as a matter of course; Omega ones don't seem to be as prone to damage

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2019, 15:02:25 »

Thanks again
Addy
It is an important part so I would replace with new if in any doubt but if it has no wear, meaning bolt is same diameter all the way along then it should be ok to use it does stop the ball joint from popping out so not any fun for anyone if that happens  :-\

the wishbone pinch bolt engages in a groove on the balljoint pin. That is true of most of this design, and fitting a standard bolt doesn't do it. Which often results in the weight of the car pushing the joint apart. The bolt will be a Vx only part, so it needs a critical inspection before you reuse it. On older Fords, I always bought a new pinch bolt with the wishbone as a matter of course; Omega ones don't seem to be as prone to damage

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2019, 15:07:32 »

Thanks again
Addy
It is an important part so I would replace with new if in any doubt but if it has no wear, meaning bolt is same diameter all the way along then it should be ok to use it does stop the ball joint from popping out so not any fun for anyone if that happens  :-\

They aren't a plain bolt. The shoulder is a good mm+ thicker than the threaded part. This is why using a standard bolt is such a bad idea... The threads will crush down over time, reducing the diameter much increasing the chance of the pin pulling out under duress.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.