Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate  (Read 11357 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
"The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate
« on: 29 June 2016, 22:16:00 »

For the last few weeks, I've been the owner of this fine machine (sniggers)....

It's a 1997 pre-Facelift 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate in metallic black.  It's a bit battered and scratched, rust patches on the doors, but surprisingly solid around the rear arches and sills.  Nice clean interior too, just a few plastic bits that have become detached and held on with tape!  I picked it up off a local Facebook group for £250 with MOT till January.  It was advertised as having warped rear discs and a missing back box.  There's a few other faults too, but nothing that stops the car being used.  It's on 163k at the moment, I have paperwork and receipts up to 140k, so it has been looked after until the last few years.

So far, I've replaced the rear discs with a cheap set bought new off Ebay.  The old ones were VERY warped!  Now the braking is vibration free.  I've also managed to get the remote central locking fob working again, just needed a new battery and re-syncing to the car. 

I've only done a couple of hundred miles in the car so far, but nothing dramatic has happened so far.  Faults found so far as follows:

Cruise control not working
Air-con not working (or at the very least needs regassing).
Radio doesn't communicate with the dash display (wiring behind it is a mess!)
Engine oil dipstick isn't properly attached.
Engine and gearbox oil & filters need replacing.
Engine undertray missing.

I'll be ordering the necessary parts to replace the missing back box and doing the engine and gearbox fluids in the next few weeks.  I'm not to worried anout the cosmetic body issues as it's a daily hack, not a show car.  If the car behaves itself, I may try and get the cruise and air-con working, as I don't like to have switches that I can't use.

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
Re: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2016, 22:18:24 »

Does anyone have a spare centre cap for one of these wheels:

I could also do with a set of the bolts that hold the centre cap on, plus a key that matches them!  I can't post in the wanted section yet.  Or if anyone has a complete spare wheel like the ones on the car with a half decent tyre on, then shout up!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2016, 11:35:10 »

Give DBG a shout about the wheel centre caps  ;)

He may have a few spare lying about  :)

Nice car that and well worth keeping on the road if you can  :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2016, 13:37:33 »

Craig is that you????

If so, yes, mate, in recompense for all the Monza/Royale assistance you gave me years ago I should be able to help with a centercap. Probably end up getting my worst one, if you'll forgive me, but very doable  :)

That motor looks a cracker!
« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 13:39:49 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2016, 13:39:15 »

Just re-reading your wants list I may be able to help you on a few of them bits, undertray and trim especially.

Look on my profile and you'll see I do own a whole spare black, PFL Omega  :y if you want to come shopping one day, feel free!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2016, 13:49:19 »

I would use a short stainless button-head bolt to retain all the centre-caps. I suspect that if you check the existing ones that they are M8 threads.

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2016, 14:34:29 »

A great looking car for the price. :y :y

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2016, 19:02:37 »

Craig is that you????

If so, yes, mate, in recompense for all the Monza/Royale assistance you gave me years ago I should be able to help with a centercap. Probably end up getting my worst one, if you'll forgive me, but very doable  :)

That motor looks a cracker!
It is me!  You must be James or James's Dad?  (Sorry, I'm getting old and can't remember everyones names!)  The car isn't that nice at all to look at close up.  The car has been keyed at some point previously.  There's the usual rust on the doors, and the drivers side rear door has a very noticeable dent in it.  But the rear arches are solid, the sills seems to be solid and the chassis rails are ok too!

Just re-reading your wants list I may be able to help you on a few of them bits, undertray and trim especially.

Look on my profile and you'll see I do own a whole spare black, PFL Omega  :y if you want to come shopping one day, feel free!
If yours is metallic black then I'm definitely coming shopping!  Are you in Grimsby/Cleethorpes?  There's a few little bits and pieces I'm probably going to need.  A centre cap is just the start!

Do you still have a Royale?

A great looking car for the price. :y :y
Indeed, I didn't think it was too bad.  It needs plenty of work, but I'm hoping to keep it on the road without shelling out too much.  I used to run Senators and Carltons by buying them cheap and always having plenty of stored spares.  Sadly I don't have the room for complete spare cars like I used to. 

I was going to look for something in better condition and pay a little more, but I guess I would have still needed to sort stuff out.  So I'm kind of pleased that the car is a little cosmetically challenged but otherwise ok as it means I have a little more in the budget for sorting those annoying faults!

« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 19:11:19 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2016, 10:07:44 »

I am the James, not the James' dad  :y

Yes, the Royale still resides up the drive, slowly returning to iron oxide with every passing winter  :y

We'll have to have a natter, as there's always bits I'm coming across, but lots now I'm passing u[p, as I've already got one/several spare. But knowing there's another very similar car out there, and just up the road, so to speak, I'm happy to help  :)

Are you doing Billing this year?

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2016, 17:57:17 »

I am the James, not the James' dad  :y

Yes, the Royale still resides up the drive, slowly returning to iron oxide with every passing winter  :y

We'll have to have a natter, as there's always bits I'm coming across, but lots now I'm passing u[p, as I've already got one/several spare. But knowing there's another very similar car out there, and just up the road, so to speak, I'm happy to help  :)

Are you doing Billing this year?
Hi James!  Surprised you didn't twig on sooner that this was me as I put a photo of the car on my Facebook the day I got it! 

I am going to Billing on the Sunday, all being well I shall be going with Billy Tarr from Autobahnstormers in either his Carlton GSi or Lotus Carlton.  Are you going?

I will definitely have to pop up your way in the next few weeks for a catch up and forage for parts.  I definitely need an undertray.  There's a few interior bits that are broken in mine too.  Is your spares car a diesel?  Saloon or Estate?  I need the cover that sits in the middle of the cylinder head on the TD engine, it's missing completely on mine.  Plus I need a centre cap for the 6-spoke 15 inch wheels, and a set of centre cap bolts and matching key.  No doubt I will need other stuff as well!! 

Hopefully, I can tempt SWMBO to come along and deposit her and her mother in Cleethorpes, which will buy me a few hours of Omega time!!
« Last Edit: 02 July 2016, 18:06:07 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2016, 15:42:50 »

See you Sunday!  ;)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2016, 16:16:49 »

Nice,  I had a v6 cdx estate same wheels and interior
You can get cap bolts and key from the bay for about 6 quid

I had to do the same thing as a bolt was missing and the cap glued on
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2016, 16:19:39 »

Nice,  I had a v6 cdx estate same wheels and interior
You can get cap bolts and key from the bay for about 6 quid

I had to do the same thing as a bolt was missing and the cap glued on

Don't go telling him that! I was going to sell him a set of the ebay ones for £7!  I've got to make a living somehow...  ;) :D ;D

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2016, 10:08:10 »

Finally got the exhaust fitted last night.  Turns out that mine only had a cat and a short section of the centre box pipe still on it.  You could hardly tell as it was still fairly quiet.  Why did they bother with two silencers as well, as you really don't need them on a 2.5 TD.

Was a real struggle to get one of the old centre box pipe bolts out of the flange for the cat/downpipe, took several hours to hack it out.  New exhaust came off ebay for £52 for both sections including a fitting kit.  Although it was a UK seller, it originated from Poland, and fitted perfectly! 

Next on the list will be to flush the coolant out as mine is not a healthy colour, and I want to be certain that it is before I remove the dodgy viscous fan.  Also need to test the electric fans too, as I obviously need them to work they way they should do.

Still waiting for the transmission gaskets and filter to be delivered, so that will be done soon as well, just need to get a decent quantity of ATF and crack on.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2016, 10:10:33 by Scatmancraig »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2016, 16:41:09 »

Craig, you said above it needs an oil change. Please do that as matter of urgency. The TD's suffer if not changed at least every 3k. I do mine now at about 2k.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2016, 19:38:05 »

Craig, you said above it needs an oil change. Please do that as matter of urgency. The TD's suffer if not changed at least every 3k. I do mine now at about 2k.  :y

Try using a truck specific oil, 10/40 semi or a fully at 5/30, these contain, some better detergents, and other additives that, car based oils don't,.. Bear in mind large fleets now use full fat 5/30or 0/30 and change at 100,000k,  :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2016, 21:36:37 »

can get you genuine Vx 10-40 on trade, craig, if you like?  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2016, 07:47:16 »

can get you genuine Vx 10-40 on trade, craig, if you like?  :)
I could do with some.  I have trade club, but I've never used it at the local GM dealer.  Oil and filter change is definitely on my list.  Did you get my PM about me popping over next weekend? 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2016, 09:08:28 »

I did mate, busy couple of evenings, I'll give you a bell this eve if I can half a chance, to arrange what and where/how etc.. haven't forgotten :y

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2016, 06:12:17 »

I did mate, busy couple of evenings, I'll give you a bell this eve if I can half a chance, to arrange what and where/how etc.. haven't forgotten :y
No worries mate. Be good to catch up, seems a long time since we were cutting part of the front end of a Monza!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2016, 09:04:05 »

Hahah. Yes, it does!

You'll have noticed I never rang last night. Had some news last night, just needed to get some other stuff done. Will try tonight, lad  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2016, 17:08:37 »

Had a fun afternoon on the car.

Decided to investigate the cooling system as the viscous cuts in too early and once its in, it never cuts out again, despite the temp gauge showing normal.  Tested the electric fans by unplugging the radiator sensors and shorting the contacts.  The top sensor puts the fans on slow, the bottom one puts them on fast.  So at least they work!

Next job was to remove the radiator and clean it.  My car has evidently had a massive oil leak at some point in the past, and there was black crud all over the radiator fins and everywhere else.  So I took the radiator in my girlfriends car to the local Morrisons jet wash and blasted as much out as I could.  Also flushed the radiator out at the same time. 

While the radiator was out, I removed the viscous fan assembly, really easy to do.  I'm keeping it in the boot for now as I could refit it in a matter of minutes should I need to.  Put it all back together and went for a blast.  The car still seems to get hot quickly if you thrash it, but normal running is fine.  I've still got to replace the coolant anyway as there can't be a lot of anti-freeze left after today.  Got it hot enough to cut the fans in at low speed, so I'm reassured that they at least work automatically.  I'll probably fit some manual override switches to both sensors at some point, really easy to do and gives me a bit of peace of mind should I need to activate the fans for whatever reason.  But at least with the viscous removed, it'll be a bit quieter and it may even make a marginal improvement to fuel economy too!
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 17:10:10 by Scatmancraig »

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2016, 17:41:03 »

« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 17:42:54 by Scatmancraig »

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2016, 18:54:44 »

Today I made the journey to Diamond Black Geezers place to pick up a few spares he very kindly sorted for me. To my other half and her mother and brother too, so they could have a day at the seaside while I disappeared to do something more productive. 

It must be quite a rare thing to have 3 earlier Omegas together these days, I hadn't appreciated how rare the PFL cars are getting...

Got 20 litres of Vauxhalls finest 10w40 semi-synthetic oil now, ready for my oil change.  After reading a comment on my post about cooling issues, I'm not sure whether to run some oil flush through the engine before I drop the old oil out?  I'm heard mixed opinions about it causing other problems, but I want to try and get the inside of the engine as clean as possible. 

Also collected a spare viscous fan.  Fitted it, exactly the same symptoms as my old one, so I'm now convinced my engine is running too hot.  Mind you, it is 25 degrees outside, which can't help.  Fresh anti-freeze might though, as it's just got straight water in it since I flushed out the entire cooling system with a hosepipe yesterday.  I might run some coolant flush through the system as well, if such a product is available out there?

Amongst the other bits I got were an engine undertray, spare indicator stalk, various interior parts, spare set of diesel injectors, speakers, fuel filters, a replacement wheel centre cap (I only have 3 of them), dash bulbs etc. 

Add the above to the transmission gaskets and filter that arrived last week, I just need to get an engine oil filter, air filter, and plenty of ATF for the transmission fluid change, and I can finally give the car a decent, (and probably much overdue), service!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2016, 18:57:36 »

Have you checked that your water pump impeller is still attached to the shaft?

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2016, 19:07:11 »

Have you checked that your water pump impeller is still attached to the shaft?
No!  I take it that means removing the water pump?  Not sure what's involved in removing the water pump on the TD, I only have a Haynes book for the petrol Omega as I couldn't find a diesel one.

Surely if the water pump was shagged, it would get hot with normal running as well wouldn't it?  It's only when you really thrash it, then it gets warm.  Normal driving there isn't as much of an issue, other than the engine being hot enough to lock the viscous fan.  The electric fans don't come on until after 95 degrees, and it hasn't got that hot today, even on my drive across the wolds with 3 passengers in 25 degree heat.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2016, 10:44:37 »

Today I made the journey to Diamond Black Geezers place to pick up a few spares he very kindly sorted for me. To my other half and her mother and brother too, so they could have a day at the seaside while I disappeared to do something more productive. 

It must be quite a rare thing to have 3 earlier Omegas together these days, I hadn't appreciated how rare the PFL cars are getting...

Got 20 litres of Vauxhalls finest 10w40 semi-synthetic oil now, ready for my oil change.  After reading a comment on my post about cooling issues, I'm not sure whether to run some oil flush through the engine before I drop the old oil out?  I'm heard mixed opinions about it causing other problems, but I want to try and get the inside of the engine as clean as possible. 

Also collected a spare viscous fan.  Fitted it, exactly the same symptoms as my old one, so I'm now convinced my engine is running too hot.  Mind you, it is 25 degrees outside, which can't help.  Fresh anti-freeze might though, as it's just got straight water in it since I flushed out the entire cooling system with a hosepipe yesterday.  I might run some coolant flush through the system as well, if such a product is available out there?

Amongst the other bits I got were an engine undertray, spare indicator stalk, various interior parts, spare set of diesel injectors, speakers, fuel filters, a replacement wheel centre cap (I only have 3 of them), dash bulbs etc. 

Add the above to the transmission gaskets and filter that arrived last week, I just need to get an engine oil filter, air filter, and plenty of ATF for the transmission fluid change, and I can finally give the car a decent, (and probably much overdue), service!

Pleasure to catch up. That is a cracking photo! You're very welcome, any other niggly bits, you know where I am  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2016, 07:28:26 »

Pleasure to catch up. That is a cracking photo! You're very welcome, any other niggly bits, you know where I am  :)
Really appreciate your help so far.  I'm sure there will be other things I will need over time!

Bit of progress yesterday.  Flushed the cooling system out yesterday with a product I got from my local factors.  The water that came out of the system was a little murky, but no lumpy bits in it.  Flushed it all through again with straight water till it was running clear, even blew through the system backwards just to be sure.  Dropped the contents of the system out again and added new GM long-life anti-freeze with a 50/50 mixture. 

When I first went for a drive a little later on, the engine was cool but the viscous fan was still howling, as it was when I pulled up after getting home from work.  But, miraculously, after a mile or so it all it went quiet, and it hasn't been back on since!  Originally, it would lock in approx 3/4 of the way through my journey to work, and the same on the way home, and then stay on all the time until the car had been left stood for a few hours or more.  This morning I went a longer way to work on purpose, and it was silent all the way.  The gauge still shows the same readings as it did before (sits just aboe 90 during normal running), but the flushing stuff and fresh coolant seems to have made something of a difference.  Well that or the replacement viscous has suddenly started to freewheel for no reason!

The acid test will be to get the car warmed up, then give it a bit of a thrashing to see if it starts getting hot too quickly.  But before I do that I'm going to change the oil and filter.  Got a new filter last night, and some oil flush.  Was sort of reassured that the motor factors had sold an oil and filter for this car to a previous owner last August, as the registration was still on their computer.  So at least it has had an oil change in the last 12 months!!

So has the coolant flush really improved things?  Or is it just a just a coincidence??  Only time will tell........
« Last Edit: 09 August 2016, 07:36:13 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2016, 09:18:40 »

That fan has been sitting around in the garage for a few years, but could have just 'freed' up maybe? But certainly the coolant flush didn't hurt, and really glad you're making headway, lad! What was this flush product? Did you use the drain on the rad, did you say, or pull the hose off? Presumably the latter would bring out the 'big chunks'  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2016, 20:01:48 »

That fan has been sitting around in the garage for a few years, but could have just 'freed' up maybe? But certainly the coolant flush didn't hurt, and really glad you're making headway, lad! What was this flush product? Did you use the drain on the rad, did you say, or pull the hose off? Presumably the latter would bring out the 'big chunks'  :)
I'd be very surprised if the fan was at fault.  But something is still not right with the coolant circuit.  I'll keep the updates on this in the correct thread to avoid posting everything twice....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=136801.15

At least I've managed to get the oil and filter changed tonight, that job went without a hitch, thankfully.  Dropped some engine flushing additive in the old oil before dropping it out.  Managed to resecure the dipstick tube to the oil filter housing, some previous owner had held it on with cable ties!  Will do the fuel and air filters in the next few days, I want to concentrate on getting to the bottom of the cooling system first!

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 August 2016, 19:17:04 »

As the cooling issue continues, despite fitting a new water pump, I thought I'd bite the bullet and order a new radiator.  Tried a couple of UK based websites advertising them for less than £100, but both didn't actually have any, despite the websites showing that they have!

So in the end I found a German based company that did have some in stock, £96 delivered and it arrived yesterday...

It certainly looks a lot nicer than the one fitted to my car.  It has the correct unions for the autobox cooler pipes, and currently has blanking plugs where the two fan switches go.  The only thing that I noticed was that this replacement radiator is only about 2/3 the thickness of the one fitted to the car.  So i'm wondering if this will actually make any difference when fitted or not?  I've ordered a new thermostat as well, so with that, the radiator and the new pump fitted recently, there's no reason why it shouldn't stay cool unless there are other more worrying issues with the engine.

So with the extra day off this weekend, I will hopefully be carrying out the following jobs:

Replace the radiator and thermostat.
Change the gearbox oil filter, fluid and both sump gaskets.
Flush the engine oil and replace the oil and filter (I only did it 500 miles ago but I'm doing it again to try and shift any more crap that might be lurking within blocking things up).

The other job that I need to do is to investigate what appears to be a dodgy auxiliary belt tensioner.  My car has a tendancy to stall when cold, which I'm guessing is down to worn out glow plugs as its fine when hot.  If the car stalls, the engine suddenly stopping throws the tensioner wheel off so it completely slackens the belt.  A quick prod with a long bar usually springs it back into its correct place, but I've no idea why it does it in the first place?  It's only been happening since I slackened the belt to replace the water pump, so I guess I've broken something?

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2016, 21:09:44 »

Well its been a while since I've updated, so here goes...

A few weeks ago I changed the rather tired looking radiator for the shiny new one, see if you can work out which one is which....

At the same time as changing the rad, I also changed the thermostat too.  So the car now has a new rad, thermostat and water pump, lets see the bugger overheat now!!!

Also on the agenda a few weeks ago was a full transmission fluid and filter change.  Was straightforward enough to do, except I realised that a previous owner had bodged the filler plug on the large sump with chemical metal.  There was also evidence that the sump wasn't quite flat on that corner.  When I finally removed the chemical metal, the filler plug was a bit rounded off.  So I guess someone had made a very poor attempt at removing the plug previously.  Top that off with two of the large sump pan bolts stripping their threads (both next to each other too), and I was not having a good day.  But the need for a working car and a lack of a spare sump pan or helicoil kit meant that I had to throw it back together and hope for the best. 

Final job of the day was another oil and filter change, with an engine flush additive before I dropped the old oil.  I did this a few weeks ago, but I did it again just to give the engine every chance to be clean internally.  I managed to acquire a dipstick tube o-ring from the local BMW main stealers.  So now I have a dipstick tube that doesn't flop about!

Initial test drives showed a bit of progress, especially on the overheating front.  Not, the viscous fan only kicks in after the engine has been stood idling in traffic for a while, and soon stops again after getting back on the move.  Weirdly, the temp gauge still reads exactly the same as before, i.e. normal running temp is just over 90 degrees. It still gets hot fairly quickly if you floor it for long periods, but cools down just as quickly if you ease off.  But for me, I know I've made an improvement as that bloody noisy fan isn't deafening me all of the time.  I reckon that I could get it to run even cooler if I got a new rad the same thickness as the original one was, the one in it now is not much morethan half as thick.

Next on the list of jobs is to replace the auxiliary belt tensioner damper thingy.  When cold, the engine does sometimes stall if you wind too much steering lock on without any revs.  This then throws the tensioner off the belt.  It's easy enough to reach under and flick the tensioner back into place, just annoying to have to keep doing it.  After spending over £500 on a £250 car, I'm trying to eek as many miles out of it as I can before I spend anymore.  But I will get a new tensioner damper next time I'm paid.

Other than the above, the car has been faultlessly reliable.  Done a couple of longer journeys in it, and getting over 40mpg too.  There's such a massive gap between the mpg around town and on the open road. I really struggle toget more than 25mpg around town, I'd like to meet the idiot that decided that a super-slippy torque converter was a good idea, the punch him hard in the face.  I'm not interested in accelerating quickly, I just want to waft about on the cheap!!!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2016, 14:33:48 »

If you can buy high stall TCs, then presumably you can buy low stall ones :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 September 2016, 15:13:51 »

Other than the above, the car has been faultlessly reliable.  Done a couple of longer journeys in it, and getting over 40mpg too.  There's such a massive gap between the mpg around town and on the open road. I really struggle toget more than 25mpg around town, I'd like to meet the idiot that decided that a super-slippy torque converter was a good idea, the punch him hard in the face.  I'm not interested in accelerating quickly, I just want to waft about on the cheap!!!

But that's what this gearbox does! Even if you give it full throttle you can still feel each gear gently  slip into the next one. A tighter converter will make for much 'harder' and quicker shifts.

Your round town MPG is poor because constantly accelerating 1700kgs takes a considerable amount of power.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 September 2016, 09:46:00 »

Also I weep at 25mpg round town. 19mpg is my real-world round town mpg, but when I owned the Weasel it wasnt much better. My average indicated is on the display 22mpg on Pissy, and was about 22-24mpg on the Turbo Weasel.

Honestly, 25 to the gallon round town sounds pretty good, actually, mate.

Also re: "Next on the list of jobs is to replace the auxiliary belt tensioner damper thingy.  When cold, the engine does sometimes stall if you wind too much steering lock on without any revs. " I can say the Weasel did similar (didn't quite stall, but clearly wasn't far off.)  :)

Are you sorted for a replacement sump pan, yet? Got mine back, all spick and span, minus the plug. (which was rounded)  :)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 September 2016, 21:29:33 »

Have you striped down the viscous clutch on the fan? you can refurb then to run better I used to have a tutorial for it when I had my bmw, Im sure I can find if you need it
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 September 2016, 10:23:00 »

Also I weep at 25mpg round town. 19mpg is my real-world round town mpg, but when I owned the Weasel it wasnt much better. My average indicated is on the display 22mpg on Pissy, and was about 22-24mpg on the Turbo Weasel.

Honestly, 25 to the gallon round town sounds pretty good, actually, mate.

Also re: "Next on the list of jobs is to replace the auxiliary belt tensioner damper thingy.  When cold, the engine does sometimes stall if you wind too much steering lock on without any revs. " I can say the Weasel did similar (didn't quite stall, but clearly wasn't far off.)  :)

Are you sorted for a replacement sump pan, yet? Got mine back, all spick and span, minus the plug. (which was rounded)  :)

I've kind of got used to the poor fuel consumption around town now.  Its the (in my mind) excessive slipping that does my head in. 

Yes I will still need the sump pan please.  I'll also need to source a replacement filler plug from somewhere too.  And I now need a couple of replacement sump pan bolts as I have two that have stripped the threads out of the gearbox.  Fortunately it isn't leaking from that part of the the sump gasket, yet.

I now have a new problem.....

Tried to drift the car around a dirt track island this morning, which resulted in the air-con belt making a bid for freedom, taking the auxiliary belt off at the same time.  Now I have to put the auxiliary belt back on, which means removing the fan etc.  And I have to do all of this in works car park, which is fortunately large enough for me to do it in a "quiet" corner out of the way of everyone.

Managed to find a diagram of the correct auxiliary belt route.  Won't bother replacing the air-con belt as there's no gas in the system anyway.  I'm guessing that the auxiliary belt tensioner jumping about has probably caused this problem, so I'll order one of those shortly too!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 September 2016, 10:33:47 »

If you want, just leave it in Sport mode all the time... the irony being that the peak/all the engine torque is around the 3000rpm mark, so leaving the engine revving up to 5k doesn't really do much on the Weasels, however, it will certainly mean you're sitting in the 3-4k rpm more often, feel a bit 'pokier' ?

I think sump plugs are readily available, fairly ordinary thread, Humbucker got one recently  :)

Pan here waiting for you whenever.  :y

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.