Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has/have most people abandoned the omegas and moved onto newer things?  (Read 3942 times)

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

Baza, we are brothers in mind! :y
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Even Omegaless I reckon I'll stay on here
Do you have to :P

;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

I never even had an omega. I just pretended to because I'm lonely and sad.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet

I never even had an omega. I just pretended to because I'm lonely and sad.

I'm lonely & sad. That's why I have an Omega.  :P

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

I had mine about 3yrs, very reliable for the 40-50k I did in it.  Then I palmed it off onto my parents, great car which I will miss. Problem is it just doesn't suit my new 750-mile-plus-a-week lifestyle. I could have gone down the lpg route, but I couldn't see me being arsed with filling it up every verse end.

Will I ever have another? Maybe if we take on another house renovation project. They are pretty much unparalleled when it comes to moving big piles of cr@p from one place to another. Chances are it would be one of these or an old Volvo estate (940 or something). Otherwise I doubt it, tbh I doubt any future daily driver I buy will run on anything other than electricity  :-X

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

My Omega was lonely and sad. Face to face to the wreaker. So he decided to came to us. Sure he heard in the Opel scene that I
can  do something impossible. And I did....

Now my Caravan is part of the family...

Rolf
« Last Edit: 28 June 2017, 21:11:55 by Zirfeld »
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Im here for one reason and one reason alone and will be here for a long time yet by the sounds of it, as long as it takes.......

................I dont want to miss STEMO saying, Right Im Off !!!   

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet

I'm just a sad bastard. Perfect reason to stay.  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile

Hi Olympia

That is a shame! I can insurance an Omega like every other car to fixed conditions. Both of my
Omegas are labeled green, so the tax is low and I am allowed to drive in any inner city zone. My boss has an unlabeled Audi A6 TDI, ten years younger than my Omega. He is not allowed to use his car in Freiburg or Stuttgart. If he must drive there, he has to borrow my old Omega  ;D

I'm afraid that system would be too complex for the small world politicians that run this unsophisticated little country.
A 2 litre car ( even a smokey old diesel )  that was registered after mid 2008 costs circa €280 per year to tax ,as I said a 2 litre registered before that costs € 710 .This was due to a pact agreed between the unstable and corrupt government of the day and the GREENS  >:(  ,but that's the way Irish tribal politics works " let's not care about who gets hurt in our agreement ,just as long as we can stay in power ...."
In simple terms if you can afford a new car you pay little road tax ,if you cannot ,or choose to run a 9 year old plus car ,you get raped until that car turns 30 years old and you then pay €56 per year .
As for insurance , every driver is getting a minimum of 50% to as much as 100% plus  rise in their premiums per year and not one single politician is even interested in the hardship it is causing .
A sample ,http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?21821-Motor-insurance-gone-to-hell-2017
 Yep , a simple little country .
« Last Edit: 28 June 2017, 22:21:02 by Olympia5776 »

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

After owning 14 omegas,,last sept I sold my last one and bought a brand new car,,too old to clamber over and under old cars now,,was sorry to see it go but 10 months on no regrets whats so ever..glad I made the move and do not miss omegas at all,,,Still come on here to see whats going on as still have an interest in helping any one on here if I can because I have had so much help from you lot and I just love the banter that goes on....long may it continue,,, :y :y

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile

I own two 2.5 V6 Omega Elite's and both get regular use.:D

Both are pre-face lift. One is a R registration (1997) and the other is a T registration (1999). Apart from the usual Elite specification both unusually came with the optional "Philips" sat nav system. They were good for their day but obviously pretty much obsolete. (but still work)

I have had the T reg  from new in 1999 (a company car) and then bought it from the company three years later.

The second one was bought with  low miles and full VX service history in 2000.

I now do all my own servicing and I am lucky I can access the VX Trade Club and Halfords Trade Card schemes which dramatically keeps the running costs down.

I regularly log into this forum and enjoy the various threads and regularly refer to the excellent maintenance guides. However, I must admit I don't contribute much in the way of chat etc. It's just not the sort of thing I get involved in or have time for.

Keep up the good work. Carfix

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile

I had 4 Omegas, gave the last one up about a year ago, I don't do my own work, so it was getting stupidly expensive.

I now have a Volvo XC70, which is a bit dull but does the job really very well. I stay here just to piss off STEMO and a few others.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile

Current Omega will probably be my last as well. Just can't face another round of suspension, grinding, welding and spraying. Once I accepted it's like returning to the world of classic car ownership but without the regular tweaks to carbs, timing, endless greasing of joints, but with all the bodywork maintenance then I can still live with it.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile

Just recently got rid of mine after owning 2 for the past 7 years. A major factor was cost of running it compared to my insignia. Insurance cheaper, more economical on fuel and cheaper tax band to.
Would have loved to have kept it but finances dictated otherwise

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile

Sold my 3.2 Omega Elite Estate after 10 years of ownership, being my 2nd Omega and lost count of how many Vauxhalls, bought a Mercedes E Class Estate, and I'm afraid to say the Mercedes is far better in every aspect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.