Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My jobs to do this winter/spring  (Read 12418 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: My jobs to do this winter/spring
« Reply #30 on: 07 January 2018, 01:39:56 »

Yeovil Ladies didn’t fare too well against the Liverpool lasses.......8-0  :)

Yeovil Ladies are out of their depth. In mens terms they are basically a part time team of Conference standard players playing in the Premiership. They have lost all 6 games so far this season without scoring a single goal. Last season they got just one draw and 7 losses in their 8 games. They did well in 2016 to get promotion into WSL1 but they really aren't good enough to stay up against the other full time teams.

YTFC Mens team are a similar bunch of useless halfwits most of the time - a mix of ageing journeymen, young no-hopers, and loanees who often don't really want to be here. However today they did outclass a Bradford team doing well in the division above to win through 2-0. Big team home or away in the next round please. I've seen Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Southampton and Fulham at Huish Park - Quite fancy a Chelsea or Spurs next round please. I'll be the one behind the goal with a cardboard cut-out of the cup covered in tinfoil  ;D

Anyway - I overslept this morning, so the start of the strip-down is on hold till tomorrow ::)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 January 2018, 15:45:44 »

Genuine Vx front shocks are only handed because of the brake hose/wiring bracket. Aftermarket ones use a differently shaped bracket so only one part is required.

The only item on that list I would buy is the wishbone rear bush.

Yes, B4's have a 'double bracket' - one on each side so irrelevant which side.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 January 2018, 09:42:41 »

6) Engine : Would like to rebuild my old engine, but need a replacement crank so that can wait till summer. In the mean time, need to fix the misfire. Have got oil in the drivers side plug wells, so...
Cheers
Malcolm
Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells doesn't cause misfires, but water will (or dis pack / leads / other things)  ::)
It can because it can insulate the CP from plug.

Plus it eats the rubber boots, which then cause them to fail.
When I was running 24v Senators they suffered oil in the plug wells, which we on the Senator Yahoo group thought normal. On plug changes I would siphon most of it out, then let the rest drain in the engine. If it smelled too much some members drilled small holes in the oil filler cap, inserted a small hose which ended beneath the car. This cured the smell, and the oil in the plug holes too!

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 January 2018, 10:31:29 »

6) Engine : Would like to rebuild my old engine, but need a replacement crank so that can wait till summer. In the mean time, need to fix the misfire. Have got oil in the drivers side plug wells, so...
Cheers
Malcolm
Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells doesn't cause misfires, but water will (or dis pack / leads / other things)  ::)

When I was running 24v Senators they suffered oil in the plug wells, which we on the Senator Yahoo group thought normal. On plug changes I would siphon most of it out, then let the rest drain in the engine. If it smelled too much some members drilled small holes in the oil filler cap, inserted a small hose which ended beneath the car. This cured the smell, and the oil in the plug holes too!

That`s something my 24v Senator didn`t suffer from, in a lot of ways it was way better than the MV6 that replaced it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 January 2018, 11:16:46 »

Cheers
Malcolm

Sounds like a hack  ???  :-\

I ran a 24v Senator for a while, never had any issues like that.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2018, 13:03:29 »

Hi Malc, I can help with the following;-
2d, 2e, 2g, 3b, 4c, 4d, 5, 6c
Pm me and let me know

Keith ABS

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 January 2018, 14:04:04 »

Cheers
Malcolm

That`s something my 24v Senator didn`t suffer from, in a lot of ways it was way better than the MV6 that replaced it.
Mine were all ex-police manuals, very fast. The achilles heel was the distributor, mounted behind the cheese grater grill, source of many a misfire. Head gasket failure was not uncommon either.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 January 2018, 16:30:48 »

Ok, slowly narrowing down the options...

Looks like I can get either Bilstein B4's shox for circa £130 a pair, or Sachs for circa £112 a pair.

But I'm struggling to work out what to do for springs. Bilstein appear to be saying their 'kit' is different for NSF (36-130221) and RH (36-134014). This appears to mirror what EPC says for LHD cars, but EPC also says RHD cars have the same for OSF and NSF, and neither are the same as either of the LHD springs.  Same goes for QH off eBay - there appears to be a 20mm length difference between NSF and OSF springs. And Sachs from ECP list two different springs too - and both are out of stock.

So what have people actually used?

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2018, 01:14:47 »

Rears...

VAUXHALL OMEGA ESTATE COIL SPRINGS REAR 2.0 2.5 3.0

Seller has a selection...

Fronts...

2x Vauxhall Omega MK2/B 2.0 Estate Genuine Kilen Front Suspension Coil Springs

Again, seller has a selection.

Shocks are Sachs from ATP :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2018, 09:56:05 »

Rears...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-ESTATE-COIL-SPRINGS-REAR-2-0-2-5-3-0/230221325046?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353

Seller has a selection...

Fronts...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Vauxhall-Omega-MK2-B-2-0-Estate-Genuine-Kilen-Front-Suspension-Coil-Springs/361557369785?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Again, seller has a selection.

Shocks are Sachs from ATP :y

Thanks.

Trouble is, if you read the Kilen catalogue, they list two different parts for the 3.0V6 - one for the NSF (p/n 20059), and a different one for the OSF (p/n 20060). So whilst I don't doubt they'll fit it seems unlikely they are RHD spec springs, since the genuine Vx part is the same both sides.

I measured the OSF spring off my car last night. No obvious letter markings, but it does have brown and white paint marks which I remember seeing mentioned on Carlton springs but there is nothing mentioned in EPC. Total length was 360mm, and the coil wire was 14.5mm thick. The Kilen catalogue says 20059 is 14mm wire and 383mm long, whilst 20060 is 14mm wire and 363mm long. So if I had to guess I'd say 20060 is the closest part to OEM, but being thinner wire there is a chance they'll be softer than OEM which I really don't want.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 09:57:54 by LC0112G »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2018, 10:40:43 »

When measuring the length of used springs, don't forget that they will have sagged, and will be shorter than new ones. The wire thickness probably won't have changed though ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 January 2018, 21:58:56 »

Finished the strip down tonight dismantling the NSF suspension. Vertical bush in the NSF wishbone was FUBAR. However....

The vertical bolt has fallen into the sub-frame. For a while I had a tenuous hold of it but I couldn't get it out. Then it slipped, and has disappeared somewhere inside the sub-frame. Spent perhaps an hour with various magnets on sticks, and long coat hangar wires fishing about inside trying to find it but no joy. Any Ideas how to find it? Or is the sub-frame going to have to come off?  >:(

Both shocks seem Ok - Both are original Vx and the OSF still has the label with the part number and code "RM" on is. Springs also seem Ok if a little rusty at the bottom - both are "Brown/White" paint coded, 24.5mm wire and 360mm long. Will fit new shocks anyway, but still not sure which aftermarket springs to buy.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 January 2018, 23:32:38 »

The vertical bolt has fallen into the sub-frame. For a while I had a tenuous hold of it but I couldn't get it out. Then it slipped, and has disappeared somewhere inside the sub-frame. Spent perhaps an hour with various magnets on sticks, and long coat hangar wires fishing about inside trying to find it but no joy. Any Ideas how to find it? Or is the sub-frame going to have to come off?  >:(

Seem to recall this happening to one of my cars when Daz and I were doing the wishbones, think one person encouraging the bolt back up to the point it fell into the subframe and long needle nose pliers, fingers, magnet, blood and cursing from the other person attempting to reach it was the answer.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 January 2018, 00:12:16 »

I had the same happen. It took me a couple of hours and all my reserves of patience to tease it back out.
Might be easier to just leave it where it is and source another bolt ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.