Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbones  (Read 7807 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Wishbones
« on: 08 June 2019, 19:41:38 »

Right the wishbones  I bought from eBay have knackered in about 3000 miles so I want to bite the bullet and buy some better ones, but I don’t want to go over the top on price, anybody had good results with aftermarket ones and if so what make please :)
Laying a rubber road.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbones
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2019, 20:06:00 »

First question - were the bolts tightened once the car was down and on the level? Because even genuine Vx will be ripped to shreds in about 3k miles or less if they are torqued up whilt the wheels are still off the ground.  :)

ATP are thought of as 'decent for the price' / best bang per buck.

Next step up (and what I always personally recommend) any old cheap n cheerful wishbones, with Poly bushes and genuine Vx rear bushes and genuine Vx balljoints. Build your own, even slap a good coat of stonechip paint on them (as I did) to prolong the metalwork.   :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2019, 20:12:05 »

Thank you for the reply :y and yes I believe it’s mandatory for all wishbones, I’m reluctant to use these useless things even to rebush they’re rubbish so I’ll try the ATP then perhaps.
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2019, 20:25:07 »

Just found a pair of atp on eBay for £58.95 free p&p can they be ok for that price then?
Laying a rubber road.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2019, 20:35:23 »

So you are in command of all the facts, genuine GM have a weld seal all the way round the vertical bush 'collar', aftermarkets (as mine are) tend to only have a few blobs. They have been known to fail, under extreme pressure/abuse, however 30k done on mine and no death yet  :D I'd say its very very very rare.

For this reason some people prefer to use second hand GM ones, clean up, repaint then rebush etc.

However, that ATP price sounds like the right sort of ballpark. They do (well, did at least) a kit of wishbones, droplinks, track rods for maybe £80, I seem to recall.

Consensus on here is if youre touching the suspension, do the lot, get a geometry set up at the same time. Don't have a geo setup, save £50, but burn through three times that in tyres per year before you realise your error... if you see what I mean.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2019, 20:37:31 »

Ok that’s my kinda price I will get them. Thanks :y
Laying a rubber road.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2019, 20:37:57 »

Just found a pair of atp on eBay for £58.95 free p&p can they be ok for that price then?
what cheap ones did you buy  :-\
the ATP kit at £75 clicky link

surely the same as the £59 ones  :-\ same seller
may as well get the entire kit if not for £16 more

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2019, 20:47:14 »

Thats the kit I was referring to  :y Good to see its still out there (5 years since I bought it)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2019, 21:22:47 »

Yes indeed I’ll buy the kit even if I never use them and give them away later👍
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2019, 10:55:36 »

Most of the shite in the ATP kit is pointless.  You'd be mad to use the TRE for example.  The stuff is utter rubbish.

Although its cheap enough to replace every 6-9 months, its the subsequent alignment costs that make it unfeasible to do so.
Grumpy old man

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2019, 11:25:08 »

There is always conflicting opinions on this subject . . . of course everyone would like to use the best stuff or/ & probably the best way to go is recon of genuine GM bones with poly & new bushes.  But . .. the likes  Oofers like me who do low mileage in the omega & drive at a fairly sedate pace most of the time , find that the ATP kit is more than adequate for my use.
  Of course owners who drive in a "spirited manner" most of the time would probably wreck this type of component in a short time .  But I would recommend them for anyone in a similar useage situation to me .  Seem to remember Dr. Gollum in the past  advising that APT bones are good for up to 20k miles .
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2019, 11:49:56 »

He’s a moaner, so if they’re good enough for him then I’m sure they’ll be good enough fo me ;D
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2019, 17:09:55 »

Seem to remember Dr. Gollum in the past  advising that APT bones are good for up to 20k miles .
Yeah, but he ran his tyres so inflated that he couldn't feel the fact they were knackered, as the car was constantly sliding around all over the place ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2019, 20:55:09 »

There is always conflicting opinions on this subject . . . of course everyone would like to use the best stuff or/ & probably the best way to go is recon of genuine GM bones with poly & new bushes.  But . .. the likes  Oofers like me who do low mileage in the omega & drive at a fairly sedate pace most of the time , find that the ATP kit is more than adequate for my use.
  Of course owners who drive in a "spirited manner" most of the time would probably wreck this type of component in a short time .  But I would recommend them for anyone in a similar useage situation to me .  Seem to remember Dr. Gollum in the past  advising that APT bones are good for up to 20k miles .

Mine did more than that. But I'm not heavy on stuff, as I got 25k out of a set of four budget tyres, did 50k miles on the front discs and pads that were fitted to my car a year before I bought it and averaged 25mpg in normal use. The quoted 'typical wear' rates  many OOF members suggest make me think they could break rocks.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2019, 22:56:52 »

ATP will be fine.

I only Poly'd mine because I had a soon-to-be sold car which I knew had Polys on its wishbones, so cannibalized them, and balljoints are still readily available, so went the whole hog and 'GM'd' my aftermarket wishbones.

I had more free time then to go to the labours of hacking up wishbones and uprating them.

:y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2019, 23:00:14 »

They’re ordered now anyway👍   Once I’ve got these old ones off I’ll see if they are up for processing.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2019, 21:45:56 »

So you are in command of all the facts, genuine GM have a weld seal all the way round the vertical bush 'collar' aftermarkets (as mine are) tend to only have a few blobs. They have been known to fail, under extreme pressure/abuse, however 30k done on mine and no death yet  :D I'd say its very very very rare.

For this reason some people prefer to use second hand GM ones, clean up, repaint then rebush etc.

However, that ATP price sounds like the right sort of ballpark. They do (well, did at least) a kit of wishbones, droplinks, track rods for maybe £80, I seem to recall.

Consensus on here is if youre touching the suspension, do the lot, get a geometry set up at the same time. Don't have a geo setup, save £50, but burn through three times that in tyres per year before you realise your error... if you see what I mean.  :y
Not true. Categorically.

Yes, in percentage terms the genuine ones have more welded circumference, but we're talking 55-60% vs 50-55%

ATP kits are perfectly adequate as service items and best value includes droplinks and track rods. Typically €65-85 :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2019, 22:21:15 »

Thanks to all for the knowledge, it’s just like the ABS, great site and loads of help. I hope I can help too should anybody need turbo advice or need to obtain one.👍👍👍

Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.