Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 94724 times)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2012, 07:40:30 »

goggles, steel toe boots, overalls that's hs gone mad next they'll say you can't smoke while working on engine ;D

all the bet and hope it goes well and don't let the bigger boys take your lunch money ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2012, 01:27:58 »

How did your first day go Webby?  You back home yet?
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2012, 19:39:57 »

Day 1:

Well, it wasn't the day of mechanical learning I was expecting  ::) They had us fill in a load of enrollment forms..... wtf couldn't they have sent them to us??? lol

Well anyway, I already made a new friend and the group for a load of young lads seem pretty cool and not ''rude boys'' thank God.

I thought it weird that when we were given our course code to put on the enrollment forms it was for the Level 2. Someone queried this before I did and low and behold everyone in my group has been moved up to Level 2 due to our previous GCSE/qualifications so I save a year and most importantly a years' tuition fee!  8)

Well I'm in all week next week so I'll update then. In the mean time got some more work to do on Ralf before I get rid of him.

Cheers guys

Oh ps, I was going to get some pics of the workshop but was a bit manic so didn't get the chance but I will on Monday. I realised there's actually 3 or 4 workshops and loads of hydraulic lifts. pretty big and i'm hoping they'll let me use them for my ATF change haha ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2012, 20:44:10 »

Nice one , maybe you can get stuck in next week  8) We all wait in anticipation of your progress and an omega up on the ramps  :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2012, 20:45:30 »

Day 1:

Well, it wasn't the day of mechanical learning I was expecting  ::) They had us fill in a load of enrollment forms..... wtf couldn't they have sent them to us??? lol

Well anyway, I already made a new friend and the group for a load of young lads seem pretty cool and not ''rude boys'' thank God.

I thought it weird that when we were given our course code to put on the enrollment forms it was for the Level 2. Someone queried this before I did and low and behold everyone in my group has been moved up to Level 2 due to our previous GCSE/qualifications so I save a year and most importantly a years' tuition fee!  8)

Well I'm in all week next week so I'll update then. In the mean time got some more work to do on Ralf before I get rid of him.

Cheers guys

Oh ps, I was going to get some pics of the workshop but was a bit manic so didn't get the chance but I will on Monday. I realised there's actually 3 or 4 workshops and loads of hydraulic lifts. pretty big and i'm hoping they'll let me use them for my ATF change haha ;)

can you not sort a oof ramp just for us for the duration of your course ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2012, 21:04:29 »

ha ha yeah ill try and sort that lol ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 September 2012, 12:34:49 »

Day 2 to Day 6:

Well, unfortunately it's not exactly eventful on my Induction Week. So far we've had the tour (for about the thousanth time), been told that we can only smoke in the designated areas... I don't smoke, and finally we must wear our badges. Frankly this is really tedious.

HOWEVER there is some good news and some very good news:

Firstly, the guys on the course seem really cool. No problems from that aspect. And I've also realised that I definitely have the sense of humour of their age level... we were in the library and just at the point where the receptionist said ''and we inly allow screw top bottles, no cans at all'' someone cracked a can of Coke open. You had to be there  ::) ;)

Secondly, I get a Halfords Discount Card!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I haven't been issued with it yet but I have a feeling it's not the holy grail (Trade Card) and it is in fact something unique to the College; either way up to 30% off suits me!  :)

I think the teachers have recognised that I really want to get on and I'm motivated to getting as much out of the course as possible. Funilly enough the only bit of mechanic information so far was a mini quiz to see if the group knew anything already. I was the only one to pipe up on most of them  8)

SO as a bit of fun I'll give you the list of abbreviations and see how many you get right ;) (I got 5/7)

TDC
BDC
ATDC
CV
SV
CR
CC

Basically he explained that these are the main abbreviations used so before we're even set any proper work I'm taking it upon myself to learn these.

Also he added learning what a borre is (I know already), a stroke is (I know already) and what a Crankthrow is (no bleedin' clue :))

So, next Monday is the first day of practical.

I'll update then.

Peace out Bear lovers  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 September 2012, 16:20:08 »

Great to see you getting on really well.

How many safety lectures have you had so far?  ::)

Crank throw is the offset of a crank pin from the crank's centre line. 2 x crank throw is the stroke of the engine as this is the distance the piston moves from TDC when the crank throw is at the top to BDC when the crank throw is at the bottom of the engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankshaft

The animated diagram on this wiki page illustrates it well.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 04 September 2012, 18:24:02 »

Great your getting on and next week seems it will pick up and get those spanners turning  :y

someone cracked a can of Coke open. You had to be there 

;D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2012, 18:39:14 »

Unfortunately, most technical course start slow, as they have to do all the tosh.

Remember, therory is probably more important than practical - truely understanding how it works. With experience, anyone can undo stuff ;)

So, Webby is doing all our ATF changes then :D
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2012, 20:29:48 »

Unfortunately, most technical course start slow, as they have to do all the tosh.

Remember, therory is probably far more important than practical - truely understanding how it works. With experience, anyone can undo stuff ;)

Corrected that phrase for you ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 September 2012, 18:24:17 »

Remember, therory is probably far more important than practical - truely understanding how it works. With experience, anyone can undo stuff ;)

Corrected that phrase for you ;) ;)
I worded mine as I wasn't sure if Webby wanted to work in a dealer's service dept, or wanted to be a good mechanic.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 September 2012, 20:50:23 »

Cheers for the comments again guys, much appreciated. Yeah the aim is to become a mechanic and move up to Diagnostic Technician. But that's years off so for now I'll work hard towards getting the papers and take it from there. It is awesome as I already have access to mock exam papers. I'm going to give them a go to see where I am now  :y

So, I thought I'd put the answers to my little quiz bearing in mind I'm going to write them and print them off for review anyway.... you can help me with my questions in red  ;D  :)

TDC - Top Dead Centre - Now this is an interesting one. The technical answer to this (I think this is right) is that this is where the piston is at it's highest point in the cylinder. Now of course that's straight forward. However an interesting thought I had was this: Take a 4 pot engine and looking at the pistons travel cycle I see that two are moving up at the same time and two moving down at the same time (is this known as sister cylinders i believe??). Well when we put the crank at TDC for example when we're going to time them to the cams which two cylinders are at TDC? Surely on this basis the phrase ''getting the crank at TDC'' is wrong and it should be ''cylinders x & x are at TDC''?  

BDC - Bottom Dead Centre - again, like above this is the oposite where by the pistons are at their lowest posible point in the cylinder.

ATDC - After Top Dead Centre (or before) - This where the pistons are between their highest and lowest points. I put the crank at 60o ATDC on Ralf when I was sorting out his timing because I didn't want the valves to come in contact with the pistons when I was moving cam sprocket 1 up to the correct time (all in vain anyway as his valves were nackered already but still good to practise).

CV - Check Valve - this I'm unsure on. I've Googled this and the best explanation I can get is it's a valve that usually supplies fluid in one direction. So in an engine would this be a valve that shoots pressurised oil through it?

SV - I can't find any explanation of this even in the Term Abbreviation tool i have lol... what is this?

CR - Compression Ratio - A nice easy one! Shown as a ratio a cylinders minimum and maximum volumes.

CC - Cubic Centimetre - and also this is used to describe Cylinder Capacity. I am actually looking at the formula at the moment which works out a cylinders displacement. It includes using PIE. God I aint had to use that for 15 years  ::) ;D Anyway I'll be looking at that next so will update at a later point.

Bore - The diameter of a cylinder
Stroke  - I may have got this wrong but is this the distance between the top of the piston (when it's at BDC) up to the top of the cylinder?

Crankthrow - Already experly explained by Rods2... thanks for that mate  :y

Apologies if any of that is wrong but I'm still learning so  :P :P :P ;D

Your input guys would be awesome as I need all the help I can get  :y

Oh and sadly I've still not been able to get pics of the workshops. Due to all the H&S lectures we aint been allowed in there again since our initial quick stop tour  ::) I'm in two minds about it really..... obviously I'm there to work on cars so I want to get cracking. But equally I'm a bit hesitant: School Kids + Machinery x Their Stupidity = Dead Bear.

Well anyways that's enough of me talking... gonna have a cold brewski and relax. love you all :)
xxx

Car Bear
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2012, 21:00:20 »

TDC refers to No 1 cylinder ;)

All good info there Webby and it looks like you really do have the bug at the moment :y Best of luck
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 September 2012, 21:04:12 »

TDC refers to No 1 cylinder ;)

All good info there Webby and it looks like you really do have the bug at the moment :y Best of luck

Aaaaa-ha! that makes sense lol thanks LD  :y I like straightforward answers  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.