Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Booster Pack  (Read 7963 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Booster Pack
« on: 31 July 2017, 23:31:34 »

Considering buying one.

Any recomendations?

What spec should I be aiming for.

Any to avoid?

TIA :y

Forgot to add it needs to be the portable battery pack type. :-[
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 23:33:22 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Booster Pack
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2017, 01:03:32 »

All I can say is forget this type, they come in different various models and come in Yellow, Red, Blue, Black under different  names, brands.

Ive had about 20 over the last 20 years, probably most were replaced under warranty, they last about 2 months, or 5 Jumps before the internal battery gives up the ghost and goes into retard mode.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2017, 18:39:39 »

If you need one because your battery is frequently going flat, fix the cause, not the symptom.

Other than that, you don't need one. And as Zirk says, they are all universally shite when it comes to durability.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2017, 19:54:57 »

Hmmm, got one from Halfords on TC about 5 years ago, still going strong, very useful when SWMBO leaves her car with the lights on! Plus helping out neighbours. I just top up the charge every 2 months or so. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2017, 19:59:42 »

Mine is about 3yrs old, and has been used and abused.  Its an American make that currently escapes me.

I think its lasted well due to the way its treated - its kept in the house, and charged with every use.

I'll be honest, I rarely use it for jumping cars now, but use as a high power 12v source, and the built in tyre inflator.  It won't start a flat battery, only a low-ish one.  I would always try a trickle charge on a flat battery, or jump start from another car if needed running quickly.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2017, 22:09:06 »

What about the power pack type ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-Micro-Multifunction-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Start-Power-Pack-CLIPPJS-Ref-/371862433765?hash=item5694ba6fe5:g:KYYAAOSwOgdYnIug
I think I just like the idea of them ..... there's almost always a car around if another needs a jump start.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2017, 22:15:07 »

What about the power pack type ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-Micro-Multifunction-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Start-Power-Pack-CLIPPJS-Ref-/371862433765?hash=item5694ba6fe5:g:KYYAAOSwOgdYnIug
I think I just like the idea of them ..... there's almost always a car around if another needs a jump start.
Do they actually work though, cant quiet get my head around a little pack that fits in your pocket will start a totally flat V6 or Diesel. :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2017, 22:28:12 »

Do they actually work though, cant quiet get my head around a little pack that fits in your pocket will start a totally flat V6 or Diesel. :-\

Yes, if it will start within the first few turns. If, for whatever reason, you need to crank the engine more than that they won't be up to the job. Lithium batteries tend to stay charged for longer periods, so there's a reasonable chance of it still having some power when you need it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2017, 23:03:02 »

Yes, if it will start within the first few turns. If, for whatever reason, you need to crank the engine more than that they won't be up to the job. Lithium batteries tend to stay charged for longer periods, so there's a reasonable chance of it still having some power when you need it.

And has the facility to charge your phone too  :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2017, 23:03:42 »

There are some cheap and nasty battery packs out there; the capacity varies considerably, some have fancy work lights which I think are unnecessary, but not all have a cigarette lighter type of plug in power socket which is useful (especially if you are a camper or caravaner for charging portable devices) and I think it's definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Looking after the battery is important - charging it regularly after use, and not leaving it for long periods without use or a charge. It's a bit like the battery on a cordless drill - neglect it and it will fail relatively quickly.
I have had an SIP battery pack now for several years which is quite compact, and it's been useful and reliable.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 23:07:18 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2017, 23:04:26 »

If you need one because your battery is frequently going flat, fix the cause, not the symptom.

Other than that, you don't need one. And as Zirk says, they are all universally shite when it comes to durability.

I would totally agree with you there but sadly the lack of use with the car is the problem, Due to illness the car hasnt turned a wheel since the 2nd of June so has sat idle for 8 weeks. :-\

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2017, 23:12:41 »

They look interesting, clicked on the link and there was an add for a similar one for half the money, Think I need to look into them more but I do like the look of them.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2017, 23:39:20 »

wow some of those prices are extortionate.  shop around you should be able to get a basic one for £15 delivered from china.

i have 2, last one was £14, "1500mah".  First was £36 and is a little larger and came with a zipped bag and lots of extras.  that one claims to be 16800mah, not sure about that but i tried the ultimate test - disconnect the mig battery entirely and try and start just on the lithium one.    it works.  so it won't spin your engine for ever but if your only problem is the battery, even if the battery is totally flat, it will start you car.

here is the second one i bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232277190721

first one i bought looks identical to this one (green and black) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122423663043

beware sellers with less than 50 sales.

« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 23:45:25 by migmog »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2017, 10:22:30 »

I would totally agree with you there but sadly the lack of use with the car is the problem, Due to illness the car hasnt turned a wheel since the 2nd of June so has sat idle for 8 weeks. :-\

Some means to get the car on a battery conditioner when unused, or even a solar panel on the dashboard facing South would be better than relying on a booster to start it, IMHO. Failing that, disconnect the battery when idle (making sure the lock cylinder isn't seized!).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.