Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VAG  (Read 1370 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
VAG
« on: 04 February 2018, 21:14:01 »

Found a chunk of plastic missing from the larger of the two cooling fan blades on my wifes Skoda Yeti causing severe vibration when it goes into re-gen mode.
Two types of fan spec'd so you have to do the job twice first to identify the bloody manufacturer and the again to actually replace it. The detail plate is on the inside of the motor   only visible when split and removed  from the mounting chassis. It takes over an hour to dismantle half the frontal upper and lower parts of the engine to remove the fan carrying chassis.
The fan consists of a 360mm dia fan and a motor. The plastic fan is flimsy to say the least.
The blade cannot be replaced so a complete assembly  has to be fitted .
Siemens one can be bought for £45 but the Brose model fitted to our car £185 plus delivery (MD quoted over £320 ) .
Utterly unbelievable that there is such value in the damned thing , and the fact that it is designed to be so time consuming to replace such a simple thing shows a fukc you attitude to the owner of the car by VAG.
A simple design change of bolting it from the engine side rather than the grill side and allowing for a replacement plastic fan to be fitted would have been so easy to do.
Ah ... but no money in that.
Whilst I had the thing in bits I had  look for the oil filter . I've been building , repairing and servicing cars for 45 years and know my way around an engine but after looking with a flex inspection mirror and bright cob led torch  all over that engine I could not find it........
Off now to find out from the Yeti owners forum .
A thoroughly complicated unfriendly awkward and expensive engine to work on .
Sorry , rant over....

STEMO

Re: VAG
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2018, 21:29:41 »

Front right of the block with pipes in front of it to make it a ficker to get out........according to the forum.  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2018, 21:56:04 »

Try changing the 'fan belt' on that blasted C3 of SWMBO. On any other car it directly drives a/c, alternator etc, but this one has an electric tensioner that I think drives the water pump or not via the back of the belt. If it's possible to over engineer something, it seems that Citroen (BMW engine) have managed it

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2018, 21:59:44 »

Just checked on the forum and you probably read the thread on which I asked the question last year.
I actually seen the filter today my mistake was i was looking for a conventional spin off cannister but it's the same as the one on my Transit, a small compact paper filter clipped within a hex plastic container.
Still looks like a messy bitch to get to and replace.
No likeee.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2018, 22:09:58 »

.... i was looking for a conventional spin off cannister but it's the same as the one on my Transit, a small compact paper filter clipped within a hex plastic container.
No likeee.

Is a spin on filter still conventional?  :-\ My Smarts have paper filters inside a plastic screw on housing, as does my Merc and as my Omega did  ;)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2018, 22:15:39 »

Try changing the 'fan belt' on that blasted C3 of SWMBO. On any other car it directly drives a/c, alternator etc, but this one has an electric tensioner that I think drives the water pump or not via the back of the belt. If it's possible to over engineer something, it seems that Citroen (BMW engine) have managed it
Ahhhhh BMW. ::)
I had to change the starter on my early 635 (m30) engine. After trying every 17mm spanner in mine and two mates tool cases it turns out that the only shaped spanner that will do it is the cars 17mm ringer supplied in it's toolkit.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2018, 22:19:34 »

.... i was looking for a conventional spin off cannister but it's the same as the one on my Transit, a small compact paper filter clipped within a hex plastic container.
No likeee.

Is a spin on filter still conventional?  :-\ My Smarts have paper filters inside a plastic screw on housing, as does my Merc and as my Omega did  ;)
The x20xev engine in my omega has a spin off filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.