Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstar  (Read 2434 times)

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
Onstar
« on: 18 March 2018, 21:29:31 »

I recently tried onstar and it’s been really good for navigating and remote diagnostics etc, so today I asked for a traffic update thinking that the navigation system can warn you of traffic holdups etc so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I was surprised onstar can’t  do that as they don’t want to mislead customers, have they heard a  local radio travel report and what happened to traffic master?
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Onstar
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2018, 21:48:57 »

I recently tried onstar and it’s been really good for navigating and remote diagnostics etc, so today I asked for a traffic update thinking that the navigation system can warn you of traffic holdups etc so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I was surprised onstar can’t  do that as they don’t want to mislead customers, have they heard a  local radio travel report and what happened to traffic master?

Still going in its Original Format and as a Value Added Service to other Operators but they switched Off the Vauxhall and Other TM Button Service a few years back, shame as it was a really handy Local Service.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2018, 21:55:46 »

I was about to reply that I was also curious.  I used to subscribe to trafficmaster during my first round of Omega ownership in 2002.  Now I have one again I was wondering about seeing if I could subscribe again but I was unsure if Trafficmaster still existed.  In a way it's a shame the service has been retired, but I'm not in the least bit surprised, it will have to join the casette player as another bit of obsoloete kit in my car  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2018, 21:59:03 »

Just use google maps, you'd be surprised how far it's come. I was travelling into Leeds a couple of weeks ago and google maps informed me that there was a delay of six minutes on my route and would I like to accept the alternative route. Pressed accept and it immediately knocked six minutes off my arrival time. Not bad for free.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2018, 22:01:32 »

Just use google maps, you'd be surprised how far it's come. I was travelling into Leeds a couple of weeks ago and google maps informed me that there was a delay of six minutes on my route and would I like to accept the alternative route. Pressed accept and it immediately knocked six minutes off my arrival time. Not bad for free.

I used to like using Waze which was an excellent free and interactive sat nav app.  I had to stop using it though as it became crash-tastic after an update and never got better.  Google maps is a good alternative though.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2018, 22:43:05 »

Ive always used Here Maps (Now called HereWeGo on most App Stores) used to be the original Nokia Maps, Free, World Wide Online Download Maps available, and is a good On or Off Line SatNav compared to Google.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2018, 19:07:07 »

Ive always used Here Maps (Now called HereWeGo on most App Stores) used to be the original Nokia Maps, Free, World Wide Online Download Maps available, and is a good On or Off Line SatNav compared to Google.
Yes Here Maps pretty good (although it does come up with some ridiculous routes sometimes!), daft as it may seem, my ancient old NCDC's in the Omega's still do a decent job of getting you there as long as you know the town / area - oh for postcode entry!

It would be nice to import POI into Here Maps, did try through various apps on line before but gave in  :(

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2018, 19:17:42 »

Yes Here Maps pretty good (although it does come up with some ridiculous routes sometimes!), daft as it may seem, my ancient old NCDC's in the Omega's still do a decent job of getting you there as long as you know the town / area - oh for postcode entry!

It would be nice to import POI into Here Maps, did try through various apps on line before but gave in  :(
Wifey's new astra Tech line doesn't have postcode entry.  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2018, 21:41:02 »

I rarely use postcode entry anyway, although my primary car does have the facility
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2018, 22:46:34 »

+1,I find it very good too,better than many so called sat navs and free updates :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2018, 23:13:23 »

I’ve used google maps for a while now. The traffic info is superior to any inbuilt system I’ve used (including latest BMW iDrive, Merc Command, and whatever the poxy ststwm the French cars all use  ::)).

As for the maps, I set an offline maps area that covers all of the UK bar Cornwall and north of Edinburgh, so if I lose signal (rarely on 3) then I get everything bar traffic. Android auto would now be my ideal nav solution in a new car, or if refitting a head unit.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2018, 23:35:35 »

On holiday in Vietnam last year, I used Google Maps to find my way from Ho Chi Minh City, across the Mekong Delta to Phu Quoc Island and back via a different route, mostly using back roads.  :y

So I reckon it's more than adequate!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2018, 01:15:30 »

On holiday in Vietnam last year, I used Google Maps to find my way from Ho Chi Minh City, across the Mekong Delta to Phu Quoc Island and back via a different route, mostly using back roads.  :y

It bloody well should be... The Americans spent a small fortune mapping the area ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2018, 20:30:15 »

I find Here (on iPhone) quite clunky, and I find it difficult to use, so tend to revert to TomTom - though since thats gone free, its become poor.

Though as most here know, I use the built in systems when in my own cars, and even the older ones easily outperform portable type units.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2018, 22:09:49 »

It bloody well should be... The Americans spent a small fortune redesigning the area ::)

;)   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.