Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where can I get...  (Read 5973 times)

STEMO

Re: Where can I get...
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2018, 21:07:26 »

Yes the local garage won't be fussy.  It'll get whatever they have in the 50 gallon drum that they managed to get at the lowest cost.  :)

It's just bloody oil for a common car. Professionals don't opps about buying  Aardvark-special-wonder-oil(with extra marketing wank)-in a-gold-plated-collector's-quality-tin just because some 9 year old girl on the internet intimated it was somehow  better.
Yep. If my car needs topping up, I put some oil in it. I don't really bother checking what it says on the can, cause I must have used it in other cars or I wouldn't have it on my shelf.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2018, 21:22:44 »

Yes the local garage won't be fussy.  It'll get whatever they have in the 50 gallon drum that they managed to get at the lowest cost.  :)

It's just bloody oil for a common car. Professionals don't opps about buying  Aardvark-special-wonder-oil(with extra marketing wank)-in a-gold-plated-collector's-quality-tin just because some 9 year old girl on the internet intimated it was somehow  better.
As you know, I've always been an advocate of using a reasonable quality, but lesser oil, and changing more frequently.

I don't even go in for these oils that are supposed to save fuel.

But with modern DPF cars, "any old shit" doesn't do, without expensive consequences.

So my advice to the OP was to check the exact spec listed in his glovebox manual, and try to match that way. Not necessarily from Ford Dealer (though always worth checking price), or premium brands, but at least something that matches the spec.

Just because many dealers, garages and repairers are cowboys, doesn't mean DIYers should stoop to that
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2018, 21:42:10 »

Which explains why so many Zetec's went bang and so many PD's internal wiring loom dissolved...... professionals who clearly aren't even close to the word....

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2018, 21:44:15 »

As you know, I've always been an advocate of using a reasonable quality, but lesser oil, and changing more frequently.

But with modern DPF cars, "any old shit" doesn't do, without expensive consequences.

So my advice to the OP was to check the exact spec listed in his glovebox manual, and try to match that way. Not necessarily from Ford Dealer (though always worth checking price), or premium brands, but at least something that matches the spec.

Just because many dealers, garages and repairers are cowboys, doesn't mean DIYers should stoop to that

Not wishing to interrupt ...  but, as you know I'm totally thick ...  so .. and I just can't get my head around this .... what difference does the engine oil spec make with regards to injecting extra fuel into a coked up can to burn off the coke .. which is my understanding of a DPF and its regen cycle ..... ??

Confused of North Wiltshire ........

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2018, 21:52:05 »

Not wishing to interrupt ...  but, as you know I'm totally thick ...  so .. and I just can't get my head around this .... what difference does the engine oil spec make with regards to injecting extra fuel into a coked up can to burn off the coke .. which is my understanding of a DPF and its regen cycle ..... ??

Confused of North Wiltshire ........

Normal oil's contain Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur (SAPs) which are harmful to the DPF. That's why a lot od modern cars use "Low SAPs" oil, to avoid damage to these components.

Although oil isn't strictly burnt in the combustion process, with things on modern engines like crankcase breathers being recycled into the air mixture, and other such engineering techniques - inevitably some of the oil content will end up being combusted in one way or another, thus, some of the harmful SAPs would reach the DPF.

Thankfully, my 15 year old, 220,000 mile Omega doesn't care  :y

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2018, 21:52:13 »

What they do at my local garage is order in the servicing kit from Andrew Page...give them the reg number and get the lot delivered. What Andrew Page deliver I don't know.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2018, 10:02:18 »

Two key areas they have to consider with oil is:

SAPs, the DPF over time will fill with ash and the ash is a result of burnt oil and not from the fuel, the low SAPs oils stops the ASH build up. Ash does not get removed from the DPF during a regen and eventually will clog it up.

Direct injection petrol - needs a specific oil type to stop piston/ring damage due to the oil igniting during the compression stroke.

Plus of course there are warranty issues, as TB says, find the oil spec needed and match it up to your oil of choice.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2018, 12:20:08 »

Tradeclub have the stuff back in stock for mine (Ford WSS M2C-934B), following the change of supplier, so 20l can ordered, £56+VAT...  ...and being TC, delivered to my door by a nice man in a van tomorrow.

So that makes it approx. £20 on oil, and a £5-6 filter, which is slightly over double the cost of changing the oil on the old Omega, but certainly cheap enough to be able to keep to my preferred 5k (ish) oil change interval.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2018, 12:51:05 »

Got to admit always use the oil recommended in the vehicle handbook & change it once a year, never had any problems with the engines of any of my cars.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2018, 16:43:25 »

Tradeclub have the stuff back in stock for mine (Ford WSS M2C-934B), following the change of supplier, so 20l can ordered, £56+VAT...  ...and being TC, delivered to my door by a nice man in a van tomorrow.

So that makes it approx. £20 on oil, and a £5-6 filter, which is slightly over double the cost of changing the oil on the old Omega, but certainly cheap enough to be able to keep to my preferred 5k (ish) oil change interval.

Same number as the Mondeo for 5w-20. Is that VX TC? Interestingly the book says, permitted to add SAE-5W20 ACEA A5/B5, but only 1L between services, as if used for lengthy periods will have various ill effects. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2018, 19:13:58 »

Same number as the Mondeo for 5w-20. Is that VX TC? Interestingly the book says, permitted to add SAE-5W20 ACEA A5/B5, but only 1L between services, as if used for lengthy periods will have various ill effects. :y
It is available of Vx Tradeclub, £55.99 + VAT for 20l drum (I have one arriving tomorrow, hence know the price)

http://www.tradeclubparts.co.uk/parts/oil/engine-oil/5w30c1/

Check the datasheet (link on left of page on the link above) to confirm it meets required spec.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2018, 19:22:51 »

Yep that's the stuff. Excellent, thanks very much, assuming Skurrays Now VX are still doing TC, I'll be getting some tomorrow. :y Ooops, misread the number, mine is  5W-20: WSSM2C948-B, or 5W-30: WSSM2C913-C. I wonder how different it is. :-\
Back to the search. :'(
« Last Edit: 26 March 2018, 19:28:00 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2018, 19:25:39 »

Yep that's the stuff. Excellent, thanks very much, assuming Skurrays Now VX are still doing TC, I'll be getting some tomorrow. :y
Being a rarer item, they might not actually stock it, so might be worth ringing/ordering over phone, to save a wasted trip.

Ex-Skurrays in Oxford certainly did have some though :)
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2018, 19:32:12 »

It wouldn't surprise me if the 3 digit number which differs is manufacturer specific for similar oil. (A bit like Curry's/John Lewis own washing machines who offer price match, while knowing full well that their's are dealer only numbered types.) :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.