Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Deposit on plastic bottles  (Read 4223 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Deposit on plastic bottles
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2018, 14:51:11 »

Do you really think our poor, destitute government are going to fork out to put recycling machines on every Main Street in the country? I presume these machines have a receptacle behind them for the bottles....like an effing great skip. Space might be a problem, and who empties them?

Call me cynical, cause I am, but I'll believe it when I see it.

That nice Mr Guffers chappie has just explained how it will work in practice.......and he is far brighter than you. :)

So, no need to be cynical. :)

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2018, 14:52:30 »

Do you really think our poor, destitute government are going to fork out to put recycling machines on every Main Street in the country? I presume these machines have a receptacle behind them for the bottles....like an effing great skip. Space might be a problem, and who empties them?

That nice Mr Guffers chappie has just explained how it will work in practice.......and he is far brighter than you. :)

So, no need to be cynical. :)
Ermmmm.......yes.  ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2018, 14:53:03 »

Nope, and why should they .. MAKE the producers of the pollution .. the makers/users of the plastic bottles pay for the recycling costs... at present they pay for less than 5% of the cost of clearing up the rubbish they produce ... I have absolutely no problem with Coca-Cola PLC (and many others) being forced to cover ALL the costs of clearing up after them.

I also think this was a pretty nifty idea, if the supermarkets want to cover everything in plastic, make them responsible for getting rid of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43559636

:)

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2018, 14:55:29 »

Nope, and why should they .. MAKE the producers of the pollution .. the makers/users of the plastic bottles pay for the recycling costs... at present they pay for less than 5% of the cost of clearing up the rubbish they produce ... I have absolutely no problem with Coca-Cola PLC (and many others) being forced to cover ALL the costs of clearing up after them.

I also think this was a pretty nifty idea, if the supermarkets want to cover everything in plastic, make them responsible for getting rid of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43559636

:)
By 'Make the producers pay' you mean 'Make the consumers pay', because it will all get passed on.

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2018, 14:57:57 »

As for the plastic attack, a spokesman for Greenpeace said that getting rid of plastic packaging on perishable foodstuffs was a stupid idea, as our streets would be filled with rotting fruit and vegetables.
Before we ban plastic, we need to have an alternative.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2018, 15:07:48 »

As for the plastic attack, a spokesman for Greenpeace said that getting rid of plastic packaging on perishable foodstuffs was a stupid idea, as our streets would be filled with rotting fruit and vegetables.

Just shows how stupid Greenpeace are then ...  I buy fresh vegetables from a greengrocer .. not a sign of a plastic wrap/bag anywhere ... food doesn't "rot" as I walk out the door ... likewise I buy meat from a butchers... comes in a piece of greaseproof paper .. no sign of a plastic tray/lump of stuff to absorb the blood/and a plastic wrap over the lot anywhere ... doesn't go off as I walk out the door .... :)

IMHO some foods go "off" faster when wrapped in plastic as they don't "breathe" but I lack any scientific proof ......    :)

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 28 March 2018, 15:12:55 »

Greenpeace are far from stupid, Nigel, they just realise that 95% of the population don't live in a quiet area with greengrocers and butchers. They live in urban sprawls without a greengrocer or butcher within five miles. They also buy for large families, not a couple, and they are also time-pressed, in and out is the name of the game.
I would suggest that your little corner of the world is not representative.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2018, 15:16:34 »

I bought a new electric toothbrush recently.

The plastic packaging was complete overkill. :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2018, 15:18:38 »

Greenpeace are far from stupid, Nigel, they just realise that 95% of the population don't live in a quiet area with greengrocers and butchers. They live in urban sprawls without a greengrocer or butcher within five miles. They also buy for large families, not a couple, and they are also time-pressed, in and out is the name of the game.

That's not what you said ...

That's what I answered ....  :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 March 2018, 15:20:07 »

Just shows how stupid Greenpeace are then ...  I buy fresh vegetables from a greengrocer .. not a sign of a plastic wrap/bag anywhere ... food doesn't "rot" as I walk out the door ... likewise I buy meat from a butchers... comes in a piece of greaseproof paper .. no sign of a plastic tray/lump of stuff to absorb the blood/and a plastic wrap over the lot anywhere ... doesn't go off as I walk out the door .... :)

IMHO some foods go "off" faster when wrapped in plastic as they don't "breathe" but I lack any scientific proof ......    :)

I'm with you on this, Nige, and not only for the reasons you state, but for most of their erroneous, pseudo-scientific reasoning regarding the environment ant the polution thereof.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 28 March 2018, 15:21:46 »

Fair point, but....a lot people have , for various reasons, to buy perishables that will last the week, and I can't see any other alternative to plastic. This was the point Greenpeace was making.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 March 2018, 15:22:09 »

The machines on UK TV today that accompanied just about every report seem to crush the item. No reduction in your council tax as they still need to be "emptied" Probably save time as not having to collect from every house.

Packaging is a mindset.  Who notices whether their six eggs come in a plastic box or a cardboard one. Who cares. So why aren't they all cardboard. It just needs a will.

I personally would put 50p on every item with the carrot of reducing it to say 20p when people actually stop throwing empties in becks, rivers, parks. The refund could then be 40p  to get 10 p towards the capital cost of machines and later 18 p

I can see bottled water companies being the big losers. In Spain they have just introduced legislation to oblige bars,cafes, restaurants to provide free water . many in our area have been doing that for years anyway. Also the airports have to lower their astronomical charges for a bottle of water. Sell shares you hold in bottled water companies!

Do you think (regardless of which side you sit on re Brexit ) that there will be resistance purely because Gove is behind it?   :-[
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2018, 15:25:21 »

Fair point, but....a lot people have , for various reasons, to buy perishables that will last the week, and I can't see any other alternative to plastic. This was the point Greenpeace was making.

Why ? Death of the local shop? Inability to shop twice a week? Mindset of one "big shop". People in hot countries still shop every day. There will be alternatives but no one has bothered to do them yet as plastic has been so easy.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2018, 15:28:12 »

The machines on UK TV today that accompanied just about every report seem to crush the item. No reduction in your council tax as they still need to be "emptied" Probably save time as not having to collect from every house.

Packaging is a mindset.  Who notices whether their six eggs come in a plastic box or a cardboard one. Who cares. So why aren't they all cardboard. It just needs a will.

I personally would put 50p on every item with the carrot of reducing it to say 20p when people actually stop throwing empties in becks, rivers, parks. The refund could then be 40p  to get 10 p towards the capital cost of machines and later 18 p

I can see bottled water companies being the big losers. In Spain they have just introduced legislation to oblige bars,cafes, restaurants to provide free water . many in our area have been doing that for years anyway. Also the airports have to lower their astronomical charges for a bottle of water. Sell shares you hold in bottled water companies!

Do you think (regardless of which side you sit on re Brexit ) that there will be resistance purely because Gove is behind it?   :-[
There are a lot of socio-economic factors to take into account too, El Varche, some people are pushed to the limit with their weekly shop as it is, they really can't be expected to start paying a 'plastic tax'.
Cue groans of 'people on benefits shouldn't be buying pop'.
It really needs to be well thought out and, with people like me playing devils advocate, politicians shouldn't just jump in and make a complete horlicks of it.......hopefully.

I shall fire off a stiff letter to The Times.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2018, 15:30:41 »

Dear Mr anti plastic tax crusader, When you do put a copy of it on here.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.