Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sugar Tax  (Read 8039 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Sugar Tax
« on: 06 April 2018, 08:47:41 »

Comes into effect today.

Are you going to cut down on your Ribena?

Are you one of the Irn Bru fans stockpiling the amber nectar in your loft? Are the joists strong enough!  ;D

Do you mind sugar (natural ingredient) being replaced by unnatural sweeteners with their side effects?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Tax
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 10:06:44 »

After having my Gall Bladder removed last year and ignoring the ,somewhat, low key instructions from the surgeon about my diet I found my weight had crept up and I was just unhealthy . My Doctor instructed me to lose two stones and at Xmas I embarked on a low ( no) fat diet. At that point we also decided to get away from the easy to eat sweet shit that seems to fall into your trolley when shopping .....
I have used sweeteners for years , with no apparent side effects ,and don't use sugar in the house but we were eating far too much of it.
Black coffee and tea, no cakes or deserts when out , chocolate reduced to an occasional good quality 70% + dark square .
I can honestly say that we don't miss it at all and with my wife being type 2 diabetic there are no sickly sugary drinks in the house either.
The manufacturers are entirely to blame for the amount of sugar in food and drinks shamelessly altering the nations sweet tooth to sell more rubbish . I could never understand why artificial sweetners were not substituted or offered as an alternative to the mainstream product but the reason is sugar sells and lots of sugar sells more .
I'm not sure if the new tax will change the nations habits , perhaps over time ,but in the short term kiddy power and dumb adults will grumble ,call it a stealth tax ,and continue to consume sugary ,syrupy shit .
It takes a long time to change a fat ,lazy nations eating habits .......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 10:06:50 »

I can understand why children consume sugary drinks but I'm always surprised to hear of adults drinking gallons of 'sugary pop' each day.

It usually seems to be obese people on a low wage who do this most.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 13:51:35 »

But some people have to avoid certain sweeteners for medical reasons... Mrs LD now has to avoid some and I have a friend who is allergic to artificial sweeteners  ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2018, 17:58:35 »

Again, trying to legislate against stupidity. It will fail to resolve any perceived problem (that doesn't actually exist).
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2018, 18:15:10 »

It will raise revenue though, which is obviously the point. If it was really about health, they could force the makers to prominently display the number of teaspoons of sugar in each can / bottle, then let people ( including parents of kids) decide whether to buy it or not.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2018, 18:31:50 »

Exactly, Albs! Similarly, if they were genuinely interested in road safety they would fill in all of the potholes PROPERLY instead of spending money on Greed Cameras, etc.

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2018, 18:35:52 »

The trouble with artificial sweeteners is that some have Aspartame in them and that has carcinogenic properties.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2018, 19:00:58 »

The trouble with artificial sweeteners is that some have Aspartame in them and that has carcinogenic properties.
No, it doesn't.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 19:07:03 »

No, it doesn't.
I stand corrected. :-[ ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2018, 19:33:54 »

Another Tax on the Poor, people who dont even know the cost of thier Can of Drink, bit like their £3 cup of Coffee fix, will still buy it, it will hit the likes of the Financial Struggling Mothers who are trying to pacify there Kids.

Similar to Up and Coming Vehicle Emissions daily Tax in London, just more money for the Government rather than address the problem at hand.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 19:35:16 »

I know that some years ago there was some kind of "scare" over Aspartame how well founded this was I don't know.Sugar tax won't really bother me as the only pop I drink is sugar free dilute squash and I don't drink much of that either.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2018, 21:20:39 »

I've always enjoyed the odd can of full fat Coke!  :y  Which apparently contains around 7 teaspoons of sugar!  ::)

However, some people will think nothing of getting through a 2 litre bottle of the stuff in one sitting to wash down their 12" pizza, so they are consuming over 200 grams or 42 teaspoons of sugar!  :o  And that's not counting the shite that the pizza's made of!  :P  ;D

I think educating the young is a better approach than taxation, but then again plenty of youngsters smoke!  ::)  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2018, 00:01:14 »

I am 36 years old.  I was born in a world where;

Coca-Cola was on tap,  Chicken Nuggets and Chips was served at school and when I got home, I had Pizza or Sausage Rolls for dinner.

My parents were both full time workers.  They GENUINELY didnt have time to cook good food.

My local shop used to let me buy fags for my 'Nan'...... I'd also squeeze in 1/4lb of flavoured sugar...... no really, it was sugar with a scented colouring....  And that was a daily basis.

I am (and have been give or take all my adult life) 13st..... I am 5'11".  My younger brother is 13st and 6'1".

The point I'm trying to make;

STOP FEEDING YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN FAKE SHIT. 

If something claims to taste 'like the real thing' it either doesnt...... or it's full of chemicals.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2018, 00:08:19 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 April 2018, 09:38:51 »

My only worry is that there will now be a wholesale shift to using sweetener which for most people with IBD is a no-no.  It is for me, makes me very ill.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.