Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opel Omega 2003 Bad MPG , Any Ideas?!  (Read 4449 times)

aaronjb

Re: Opel Omega 2003 Bad MPG , Any Ideas?!
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2018, 17:00:11 »

Italians have a reputation for driving like crazy people (but they have nothing on you guys, in my experience ;D), and driving it hard can blow out the cobwebs (carbon build up and so on) and make the car drive better.. hence "Italian Tune Up" :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2018, 18:04:58 »

In the interests of clarity, (or maybe I've just missed it   :-\) do you mean US or UK gallons in your MPG?

If its UK then its a bit low probably, lowest I saw was 18mpg I think across london. Then again I would imagine you're working the climate control pretty hard compared to me in the UK  :-X.

If its US mpg, then you've got nothing to worry about!

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 April 2018, 18:21:18 »

In the interests of clarity, (or maybe I've just missed it   :-\) do you mean US or UK gallons in your MPG?

If its UK then its a bit low probably, lowest I saw was 18mpg I think across london. Then again I would imagine you're working the climate control pretty hard compared to me in the UK  :-X.

If its US mpg, then you've got nothing to worry about!

Jimmy! , you are an eye opener man!  ;D , do you believe i never know there was even a difference between a UK and a US mpg !! , but what i was calculating was based on a US mpg , since im using Google to convert the mile per gallons to kilometer per liter so it can go with easy calculations of what we deal with here in jordan , we deal with Liters , so i need to convert it from mpg to km per liter , so i can tell how much and etc..

so in conclusion it was a US mpg , i guess as you mentioned i shouldnt be worrying , and its a good thing

thanks alot again for letting me know there is a difference between a UK mpg and US mpg , you deserve some MANSAF! , (P.S Mansaf is our traditional Food in Jordan , google it and you won't regret this offer  ;D)

Ali

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 April 2018, 18:21:57 »

Italians have a reputation for driving like crazy people (but they have nothing on you guys, in my experience ;D), and driving it hard can blow out the cobwebs (carbon build up and so on) and make the car drive better.. hence "Italian Tune Up" :)

lol  ;D , okay now that makes sense , but i don't think they can beat Jordanians in that , i guess we need to do some changes to that Quote  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 April 2018, 18:41:30 »

You do know that metric fuel consumption is measured in litres per 100km? Doing it the other way won't allow you to do any easy comparisons.

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2018, 19:37:44 »

You do know that metric fuel consumption is measured in litres per 100km? Doing it the other way won't allow you to do any easy comparisons.

here is how i do the calculation , i fill my tank to 20 Liters and i drive it until it runs almost dry , i register the Kilometers i passed , and i divide the kilometers i drove over the 20 liters and i get a kilometer per liter number , after that i can do direct convert to miles per gallon , its all the same just play with the numbers

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2018, 21:24:58 »

What does your trip computer say?  ???

Can you change it from Ltrs/Kms to MPG?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2018, 09:51:35 »

Tech2 job
Grumpy old man

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2018, 15:17:48 »

What does your trip computer say?  ???

actually not , it calculates the remaining range in Kilometers

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2018, 15:21:04 »

Okay So here is something interesting i just remembered because of what happened today! , i had the Maintenance car dash light came on , it used to come on before really rarely , so i have my OBD2 Scanner (Bluedriver) hooked on always , i run my phone to check what is the code and i get P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1 , before exactly 3 months i replaced my O2 Sensor with a brand new one , at my mechanic workshop and he tested the data and results with his Computer and all data looked fine! , after that it happened to have this dash light and code to me 3 times as of now!

any ideas if this could be a potential factor in the low MPG , and why does it keep coming since i changed the O2 Sensor which comes directly behind the exhaust mainfold , i know there is 2

any ideas?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 April 2018, 18:05:52 »

Can you read LTFT for that bank with your reader?

Although your MPG doesn't sound unreasonable.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 April 2018, 20:04:33 »

Forget converting to US, use this =

To calculate Euro to UK or the other way around use the common number 282 (or 282.4 if your really fussy) ie,-

12.8 L/100 km is 282 / 12.8 = 22mpg
or
22mpg is 282 / 22 = 12.8 L/100 km

I used 22mpg, because thats the minimum you should be getting in a 2.2 Manual around Town.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2018, 20:21:57 by zirk »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 April 2018, 20:06:41 »

If your 16 mpg is with US gallons, for a UK gallon you would have 1.2 times that figure, i.e. 19.2 mpg. - not bad for around town, in traffic.  :)

Ron.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2018, 20:58:12 »

If you are getting teen mpg out a 2.2 4 pot  wouldn't you be better making it worthwhile for that mpg and shoehorning a 460ci v8 there? :)

Black5f

• Rothwell. Northants
    • '#03996 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 April 2018, 18:57:21 »

Random advice. I'd go through a couple of tanks of decent fuel. In UK, Shell V or Tesco 99. Not because of octane really, more to do with the additives that keep the bits cleaner. Made a world of difference on my other car which is a V8, not a performance engine, injection, basically just a big slugger. I only go 4 miles to work, the Camaro does about 16mpg, my 2.6 Omega does around 18, but is hugely better on longer runs like 35 or something. If your in traffic they all guzzle. Reset the ECU if you can. I don't know specifically about short cuts on Omegas but generally with GM, just disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour does it, so not assume 31 minutes is OK, leave it off for a while. I wouldn't short the battery connections, you might save 31 minutes but you don't know the the condition of the capacitor.
16 - 19 in traffic depending on your driving style doesn't seem excessive to me. Try it on a longer run but don't try and fix it if it's not actually broken :-)
T
Current cars ... Omega CD 2.6 '02 is sadly gone, but to a good home, 2005 Honda Civic, '21 Mitsubishi Outlander, and a '96 Chevy Z28 '96 which is still quick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.