Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, do I win a prize?  (Read 7496 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Well, do I win a prize?
« on: 10 April 2018, 21:01:41 »

A prize for being prize prat ;D

As many know, I'm into radio controlled models, and for the last couple of years, that's been quadcopters (drones, for the uninformed).

Well, I built up a new little racer 2 or 3 weeks ago, despite having the bits, bar the FPV camera, since last spring/summer time, but have been really fighting to get the telemetry to work.  I check, double checked, and triple checked all the wiring, the flight controller settings and the transmitter settings.  And then checked them again, and again, as the damn thing wasn't giving any telemetry data back from the flight controller, just from the receiver itself (which is pretty much naff all).

So, imagine the lightbulb moment, when it dawned on my that because I mounted the receiver upside down, I'd done the schoolboy error of connecting the wrong pin.

Quick bit of resoldering to the right pin, and issue resolved. What a first class pillock  :-[
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Well, do I win a prize?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2018, 21:15:10 »

Mind you, Zirk is a close 2nd for his WD40 antics ;D
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2018, 21:29:59 »

It's a great feeling when you find the solution to a problem and it works though  :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2018, 21:36:33 »

He who has never made a mistake, jas made nothing.....

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2018, 21:53:46 »

I often find in such circumstances where you are too close to the job, it is make a coffee time, while you mull things over and realise what an idiot you've been by missing the obvious,  ::) ::) ::) allegedly. ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2018, 22:05:37 »

I hope that this doesn't start a thread on "What a b*llocking idiot I have been", because I do not want to overwhelm the Forum with my examples, thereby denying anybody else a look-in!  :-[ ;D

Ron.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2018, 22:10:19 »

As many know, I'm into radio controlled models, and for the last couple of years, that's been quadcopters (drones, for the uninformed).

Well, I built up a new little racer 2 or 3 weeks ago, despite having the bits, bar the FPV camera, since last spring/summer time, but have been really fighting to get the telemetry to work.  I check, double checked, and triple checked all the wiring, the flight controller settings and the transmitter settings.  And then checked them again, and again, as the damn thing wasn't giving any telemetry data back from the flight controller, just from the receiver itself (which is pretty much naff all).

So, imagine the lightbulb moment, when it dawned on my that because I mounted the receiver upside down, I'd done the schoolboy error of connecting the wrong pin.

Quick bit of resoldering to the right pin, and issue resolved. What a first class pillock  :-[

Ooops!!!
« Last Edit: 10 April 2018, 22:11:52 by Tony H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2018, 23:31:41 »

Yep you get a prize....2 free tickets  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: 10 April 2018, 23:34:21 by Steve B »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2018, 18:17:48 »

I hope that this doesn't start a thread on "What a b*llocking idiot I have been", because I do not want to overwhelm the Forum with my examples, thereby denying anybody else a look-in!  :-[ ;D

Ron.
No, you jump in bigron, take the pressure off me a bit ;D

But you've got some way to go before you can beat that Zirk fella and his red tube ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2018, 18:18:26 »

Yep you get a prize....2 free tickets  ;D ;D ;D

Silly me, I thought you were a decent sort of chap.

;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2018, 18:33:49 »

It's nice when you find you've made a mistake like that and, upon rectifying it, discover that, as a bonus, you haven't let the smoke out of anything expensive. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2018, 18:36:35 »

It's nice when you find you've made a mistake like that and, upon rectifying it, discover that, as a bonus, you haven't let the smoke out of anything expensive. ;D
It takes immense skill to keep all the smoke locked inside the boards :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2018, 18:38:19 »

Though the solder pad is desperately close to a batt +ve, and the current on this board is rated to 160A IRC (how the F does a multilayer board handle 160A, cant get my head around it), so potential to tune in the receiver to channel smoke.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2018, 18:53:32 »

Am slowly building a Guillows Cessna 172...

The fuselage was fundamentally finished when it rolled from its parking place... Picked it up and after a cursory check it looked OK. Moved it yesterday, (rebuilding bedroom) and managed to put a hole in it :-[

Still, repairing it and building a replacement aileron that the dog ate... might offer some respite from Ikeas best efforts ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2018, 19:31:44 »

Am slowly building a Guillows Cessna 172...

The fuselage was fundamentally finished when it rolled from its parking place... Picked it up and after a cursory check it looked OK. Moved it yesterday, (rebuilding bedroom) and managed to put a hole in it :-[

Still, repairing it and building a replacement aileron that the dog ate... might offer some respite from Ikeas best efforts ::)
My glider I had 30yrs ago lost an argument with a rugby post on its maiden flight...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.