Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, do I win a prize?  (Read 7498 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, do I win a prize?
« Reply #30 on: 13 April 2018, 21:09:48 »

If it's any consolation, Ikea managed to deliver everything today... Only two minor hiccups. One mirrored wardrobe door had been folded :o and another dropped on one edge rendering it scrap...

A quick phonecall and the replacements will be here on Sunday  8)
You should get a prize for buying Ikea shite!
Well, thus far, my only grumble beyond the broken doors, is that the floor and walls of my room are less square than I had presumed, still in the last three days, I have gutted my room, done three tip trips, laid a new carpet, built all the wardrobes and interior gubbins and hope to have the bed done before, well, bed time...

That should leave me three bookcases and moving everything that wasn't thrown away back into the room by the end of Tuesday... :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 April 2018, 21:14:34 »

By the sounds of things I'm one of the lucky ones who've never actually been to an IKEA emporium,and I've no-one to pester me into doing so 8)
It's not somewhere that I habitually frequent... But they sold what I required at a price which I deem acceptable. If it lasts half the seventeen years that the previous MFI stuff lasted, then I will be content with the ballache that is visiting Ikea on a school holiday...

It's shit not having kids, as you never know when the wee snotty bastids will be foisted on the general public...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 April 2018, 01:00:13 »

It's shit not having kids, as you never know when the wee snotty bastids will be foisted on the general public...

Yes!  >:(  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 April 2018, 12:14:15 »

By the sounds of things I'm one of the lucky ones who've never actually been to an IKEA emporium,and I've no-one to pester me into doing so 8)
It's not somewhere that I habitually frequent... But they sold what I required at a price which I deem acceptable. If it lasts half the seventeen years that the previous MFI stuff lasted, then I will be content with the ballache that is visiting Ikea on a school holiday...

.. and you made it to the tills without going postal. Quite an achievement. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 April 2018, 17:54:27 »

.. and you made it to the tills without going postal. Quite an achievement. :y
Its crazy, every time I go there (for their 50p hotdogs at lunchtime ;D), they are queuing for ages at the tills. And to buy Ikea cheap tat.  I never ceased to be amazed (but then this is Milton Keynes).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 April 2018, 18:01:32 »

MFI
People used to knock More Flucking Idiots, but their stuff towards the end was actually quite reasonable and decent value.

When I bought my first house in '91, I bought some fitted bedroom furniture, and various lounge units.  The fitted bedroom furniture stayed with the house (and from the brochures still available online at Zoopla etc from when it was last sold in 2013, still looks in decent condition). Some of the lounge furniture I still have, and some of the stuff still in good condition went to our local recycling centre for resale.  The TV unit, though, I admit was at best "adequate", silly dowels and glue only holding it. But then I think it was about £15 (in 1991) ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2018, 18:19:29 »

Fitted a kitchen from MFI in the last house and it was decent stuff. Better than the rubbish the builders fitted here.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 April 2018, 19:17:56 »

Fitted a kitchen from MFI in the last house and it was decent stuff. Better than the rubbish the builders fitted here.
It;s not the builders ,the developer / specifier picks the crap to get installed  ::)
I did quite a few "MFI" kitchens before they went bust
most was good stuff.
I got things like worktops, sinks and appliances elsewhere  :-X
 (mfi made money from extras ,designers where told to add all the fancy trims ,decor panels etc )

in the end ,mfi made it complicated ,you ended up buying off some unknown  " sister company" on the invoices
worried if you'd ever get delivery  :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 April 2018, 20:07:23 »

In 1990 I agreed to pay £3500 to have a nice oak kitchen installed by MFI. I paid a 10% deposit before work started.
When the fitters turned up to fit the kitchen they discovered that the salesman / surveyor had measured it wrong and the units wouldn't fit, so they had to fit a smaller cupboard at the end of the walls.
I nipped out of work to meet th salesman and ripped his fickin ears of. "Never mind Made For Idiots, its sold by fickin idiots, was one phrase I can remember yelling at him.
Anyway, once fitted it was a lovely kitchen, and what made it nicer was that I never did receive a bill from them for the balance of £3150.  ;D

As for Ikea. In the late 90,s swmbo won a £1000 Ikea voucher, and wanted taking there to spend it. Daughter was also moving into her first flat so she wanted to come too. I borrowed a Transit pickup from work and off we went on a Saturday morning.
We were there when they opened, and didn't leave until after closing time. They had these big trolley things you put your flatpacks in and I was relaying four of them around the shop until we got to the checkout, which took hours by the way.
I was almost too knackered to drive home.
I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about that day. I swore I would never go back, and I never have.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 April 2018, 00:19:35 »

In 1990
???   :o     :)
once fitted it was a lovely kitchen, and what made it nicer was that I never did receive a bill from them for the balance of £3150.  ;D

Just paypal me the ballance  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 April 2018, 10:23:51 »

It;s not the builders ,the developer / specifier picks the crap to get installed  ::)
Yes, of course. I should have made that distinction. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 April 2018, 10:27:14 »

I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about that day. I swore I would never go back, and I never have.  ::)

Yes, similar to when we decided to get some desks for our study. I filled my old laguna to the roof, back seats down, tailgate roped shut. Didn't look too bad as the car was still pretty much level.... until I drove off. The towbar had settled on the kerb so was taking most of the load!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 April 2018, 10:36:38 »

I did quite a few "MFI" kitchens before they went bust
most was good stuff.
I got things like worktops, sinks and appliances elsewhere  :-X
 (mfi made money from extras ,designers where told to add all the fancy trims ,decor panels etc )
in the end ,mfi made it complicated ,you ended up buying off some unknown  " sister company" on the invoices
worried if you'd ever get delivery  :(
I fitted a few MFI kitchens from their quality (Hygena?) range and was quite impressed. MFI had gone by the time I fitted a kitchen here at home from Magnet, and although I specified the layout and units, it turned up with all sorts of decor panels and trims I had not ordered! Also the carcasses were 16mm and not 18mm thick as promised, so would not take the weight of my combi-microwave, and required a strengthening panel. >:( I would certainly not buy from Magnet again. >:(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 April 2018, 11:43:24 »

MFI sold Hygena (mostly flat pack /self assembly) and Schreiber (now owned by sainsburys)

hygena where 18mm carcasses ,I always beefed up the back panels and sealed all raw edges with acrylic sealer.
(any raw edge of chipboard  soaks up any spills and blows out, the death of many n under sink unit)

never tried magnet , some b&q,wickes etc, are 15mm and require beefing up
800mm and 1000mm wall units sag under weight ,beefing up under the light pelmit helps,
but it's best picking single door units if cost is not an issue

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 April 2018, 11:48:19 »

Our kitchen is a Schreiber one, 18 years old and still presentable 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.