Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Syria Chemical weapons retaliation  (Read 7389 times)

STEMO

Re: Syria Chemical weapons retaliation
« Reply #30 on: 12 April 2018, 21:19:06 »

Trump has the attention span of a toddler.

First he wants to lick Putin's arse........then he wants to nuke him......now it looks like they will be 'bezzie mates' again very soon.

.......unless he decides to bomb Syria.
We've got an arrogant dictator on one side and a petulant amateur on the other. Both think the other will back down. Hardly a state of affairs anyone could feel comfortable with.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 April 2018, 22:59:32 »

Syria is a Baathist regime, no dissimilar to Irag under Saddam. A feature of this type of regime is that it doesn't allow opposition or alternatives, and so if it collapses there is nothing to replace it, and chaos ensues.
It is now widely accepted that the lesser of the evils in the aftermath of invading Iraq, would have been to allow the lower level Baathist commanders to continue to run the state machine ,with some oversight from the U.S. or UN for the short and medium term.
So my theory with Syria is that the West should try to do a deal with Putin, where his sphere of influence there isn't compromised, but he delivers Assad and his generals to a war crimes tribunal, but his lower orders continue to run the state with Russiioan supervision.
Also access must be given to UN  inspectors to ensure no slaughter of innocents by any of the factions concerned.
Probably unlikely to happen , but the alternatives are to ignore it and let things get worse, or risk a U.S.(and the West) war with Russia.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 April 2018, 00:08:49 »

We've had it in Barnsley. They'll do Leeds to the north and Sheffield to the south, so we get fried, just more slowly. They'll be on gas mark 8 and we'll slow roast on about 4.  ;D

So the Barnsley warning siren is when you shite yourself due to the balloon going up or another involuntary senior moment? :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 14 April 2018, 07:24:16 »

Bombing of a few chemical weapons sites overnight. Over to you, Russia.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 April 2018, 07:52:58 »

According to the news report I saw this morning "our" side claim these missile strikes were a success, while the Syrians claim it as a vindication of their defences that they shot down 13[a few minutes later reduced to 12 :o] of  the missiles.Meanwhile the Russians and Iran say there will be repercussions,so keep digging those holes in your garden folks!

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 14 April 2018, 08:02:13 »

I don't believe Syria shot down any missiles but, even if they managed 12, another 100 odd got through.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2018, 09:15:26 »

How cometherehasbeen nothing on theUK news about this , this morning? I would have thought SkyNewswould have covered it!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 14 April 2018, 09:25:21 »

Been bugger all else on the BBC.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 April 2018, 12:24:42 »

How cometherehasbeen nothing on theUK news about this , this morning? I would have thought SkyNewswould have covered it!
Perhaps the Spanish media don,t want to offend the Muslim states across the Straits of Gibralter. It ain,t far.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2018, 21:54:02 »

Wonder if we'll start getting some of those public information films like there were back in the '60s[?]telling us to hide under/behind tables or if out for a family picnic to lay down and get covered by the picnic blanket-I don't think either of those came with a guarantee of success though ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 April 2018, 23:03:31 »

They may as well have advised us to put our head between our legs, and kiss our arse goodbye. At least that would have been honest.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 April 2018, 23:40:47 »

I always find it bizarre that before, during or after some military action politicians, press and whoever debate and discuss the "legality" of it. Since when has kicking the s**t out of somebody been legal ? I'm not criticising the military action, I just find discussing "legality" a bit effin strange. If country A wants to bomb, invade or whatever country B, then they're going to do it. And as for having a parliamentary vote on it, FFS. Decision by committee simply doesn't work, and just imagine how long it would take. Longer than another chemical attack I'm sure. Decision is leave Assad alone to murder and maim whoever he wants, or intervene.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 April 2018, 00:08:16 »

It's quite possible that if David Cameron hadn't consulted Parliament and just got on with the job in 2013, we wouldn't be where we are today and the Russians wouldn't have been emboldened to jump into the vacuum left by the Western world.  :-\

Whether the situation in Syria would be better or worse for that we'll never know.....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 April 2018, 01:36:42 »

I suspect that Syria only gets news coverage because of the sheer number of refugees trying to get to Europe.

This is in no way meant as a positive reflection on society as a whole.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 01:40:34 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 April 2018, 08:27:47 »

Without full on intervention by others i.e. invasion/war*Assad will eventually win,so why use such weapons in the first place?Plenty enough people are dying by the use of conventional weapons.Why bus "rebels" from one city they've been blowing the crap out of for months to another city/stronghold area to begin all over again?Chemical weapon useage is afaik outlawed[and therefore illegal?] by international convention yet the debate is over the legality of attacking sites where they're developed/stored/tested.

*I'm in no way advocating this course of action.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.