Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Beetle EML  (Read 2924 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
Beetle EML
« on: 13 April 2018, 10:14:09 »

I've seen a Beetle for sale near me but the EML comes on intermittently. The price is £400.

Should I avoid buying this car?

Is this an MOT fail? I've heard that the rules are changing in May 2018 & that an illuminated EML light will be a fail?

Many thanks. :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Beetle EML
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 10:20:55 »

I would be more concerned about the "tin worm" underneath...beetles are prone to serous rust issues.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2018, 10:25:40 »

I've seen a Beetle for sale near me but the EML comes on intermittently. The price is £400.

Is this an MOT fail? I've heard that the rules are changing in May 2018 & that an illuminated EML light will be a fail?

A £20 OBD scanner will turn the EML off, and help you fix the reason why it keeps coming on. But a Beetle is stock Golf, so parts and knowledge to repair them are hardly unusual. That suggests that the problem ins't trivial.

While cheap cars with issues can be a good buy, you need to be able to sort them efficiently and cost effectively.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2018, 10:41:19 »

Also a beetle has zero practicality compared to a conventional hatch back :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2018, 10:49:24 »

Omega estate to VW beetle? It appears that you're looking for transport for yourself rather than a load lugger. This opens the doors to lots of possibilities. Astras and focuses might be your best bet, lots of them about and easy to put right should things go wrong.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2018, 11:04:42 »

I've seen a Beetle for sale near me but the EML comes on intermittently. The price is £400. Sounds cheap enough, what is the MOT history like? Any links/pics?

Should I avoid buying this car? Difficult to answer that, I hate VAG cars, but I'm not you.

Is this an MOT fail? I've heard that the rules are changing in May 2018 & that an illuminated EML light will be a fail? I believe this is correct, but if it's intermittent, you'll probably get it through the MOT with a bit of luck.

Without knowing the engine and the code, it's difficult to be more helpful.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2018, 11:07:39 »

Thanks for the advice. :y

I've looked at so many cars my head is spinning.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2018, 11:09:34 »

I've got the chance of another Omega from an oof member so I think I'll wait to see what happens with that.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2018, 11:46:10 »

A £20 OBD scanner will turn the EML off, and help you fix the reason why it keeps coming on. But a Beetle is stock Golf, so parts and knowledge to repair them are hardly unusual. That suggests that the problem ins't trivial.

While cheap cars with issues can be a good buy, you need to be able to sort them efficiently and cost effectively.

Nick, where can I get that OBD scanner from and would it work on my Omega? I also have a sometimes-on EML which the pedal trick tells me it is an inefficient cat, cured by using Cataclean, V-Power and boy-racer driving.

Ron.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2018, 11:57:41 »

Nick, where can I get that OBD scanner from and would it work on my Omega? I also have a sometimes-on EML which the pedal trick tells me it is an inefficient cat, cured by using Cataclean, V-Power and boy-racer driving.

Ron.

Or actually moving the O2 sensors which is the full fix.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2018, 11:59:37 »

Ron.

Something like THIS

It will only work on 2.6/3.2 and 2.2 Omegas.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 12:15:28 »

Ron.

Yes, I have read that on here before, but I can't do it myself, so on my next visit to Serek......

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2018, 12:31:06 »

Thanks, I've just bought one; at that price it would be a crime not to!   :y :y

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2018, 18:16:00 »

Ron.

Ah, yes, that reminds me, mine might need doing. Again. ;D
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2018, 19:17:45 »

The good thing about buying an Omega Kate is that as you well know their issues and how to fix them are known on here.Just about all of them can be fixed for reasonable money[rust could be an exception] you know they're comfy capable cruisers that can-depending on engine size possibly-deliver surprisingly fast fun and going on my 3L auto are pretty economical for what they are.Good luck with your search and I hope you get sorted soon :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.